EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Musk: Tesla must cut costs or stock will be ‘crushed like a souffle under a sledgeham

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-20, 08:11 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Its set to join S&P500 this month i believe so most ppl will be invested in it one way or another.

Many analysts are putting price target of $2,500 so plenty of runway left.
Old 12-09-20, 04:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-jpmorgan-says

Tesla Shares Are ‘Dramatically Overvalued,’ JPMorgan Says

https://m.benzinga.com/article/18707...Fwww.google.ca

“however you might want to dream about autonomous taxis, spaceflight, tunnels underground, whatever - they are a car company, and they are an unprofitable car company

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-09-20 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-09-20, 04:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,836 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Jim Chanos has been wrong about everything involved Tesla, it's remarkable a person could be so wrong. If he had done the exact opposite of what he has been recommending the man would have made millions.

Also Jim are you aware one of Elon's companies is actually putting people in space? What a buffoon.
Old 12-09-20, 04:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Jim Chanos has been wrong about everything involved Tesla, it's remarkable a person could be so wrong. If he had done the exact opposite of what he has been recommending the man would have made millions.

Also Jim are you aware one of Elon's companies is actually putting people in space? What a buffoon.
Quoting him downgrading Tesla is like telling me the moon is round. He's ALWAYS downgraded Tesla
Old 12-28-20, 11:06 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Old 12-29-20, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

^^^^^^ He actually brings up some good points. I have to agree with most of them. Tesla, in fact, has not had much real competition in its field of EVs, but, as John points out, that's about to change.

He didn't mention it in the video, but, as I also see it, it's something like roughly a century ago, when Ford's Model T more or less ruled the roost until Chevy, and, later, Plymouth, got their acts together. Then, Ford was forced to either develop the Model A or go out of business. Even then, Henry Ford, after almost 20 years of Model T production, was, in his mind, so wedded to the car and its outdated mechanicals, and resistant to change, that his wife Clara (whom he also deeply loved), threatened to leave him unless he finally allowed a new design. That did the trick.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-30-20 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 05:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

So just because there is more competition, Tesla is doomed? Hahahaha...if I had a dollar every time someone said that, I could buy another Tesla.

They will continue to see growth for years to come as they expand their product lineup and the EV space grows. They still have the best EVs on the market in their respective price points and the only one with a viable charging network. Anyone predicting their doom should be laughed at.
Old 12-29-20, 05:51 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

That video is crack to Tesla haters.
Originally Posted by EZZ
Anyone predicting their doom should be laughed at.
They don't actually believe it, in other words won't put their money where their mouth is.
Old 12-29-20, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That video is crack to Tesla haters.

Tesla will neither survive nor die because of emotion (or hating), but because of economic facts. Even with an enormously high stock price (and more shares being bought every day), the company is going to be able to withstand a lot more serious competition in the future than it has in the past. To a large extent, it has had a free ride in the past......but the party's almost over.
Old 12-29-20, 06:07 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Tesla will neither survive nor die because of emotion (or hating), but because of economic facts. Even with an enormously high stock price (and more shares being bought every day), the company is going to be able to withstand a lot more serious competition in the future than it has in the past. To a large extent, it has had a free ride in the past......but the party's almost over.
You'll probably say this next year and the year after that. Wait till the Germans get in the game. Wait till the big 3 wake up. Wait till Toyota brings out their EV. The E Tron is a disaster. The ID4 doesn't dare compete directly with the Model Y, the Mach E is a direct copy cat that is slower and has less range with no infrastructure. The Bolt is a dud. Toyota decides to make a compliance car in China only.

At this rate , I'm more confident in my Tesla shares than ever before.
Old 12-29-20, 06:13 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 653 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I’d say it’s more likely the party is just beginning. Much easier for Tesla to close the quality gap with other manufacturers than it is for them to close the technology, brand and vision gap with Tesla.

Tesla is nowhere near done.

And if we all had a dollar for every Tesla doomsday opinion out there.... well, we’d all have a lot less than if we’d just bought a few Tesla shares and held them for a bit.
Old 12-29-20, 06:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
You'll probably say this next year and the year after that. Wait till the Germans get in the game. Wait till the big 3 wake up. Wait till Toyota brings out their EV. The E Tron is a disaster. The ID4 doesn't dare compete directly with the Model Y, the Mach E is a direct copy cat that is slower and has less range with no infrastructure. The Bolt is a dud. Toyota decides to make a compliance car in China only.

At this rate , I'm more confident in my Tesla shares than ever before.
Well, the video was not about my view, but Jim's. He is a professional, and, though I can't say I agree with him 100% of the time, he, like Bob Lutz, generally knows what he is talking about. What he said was not opinion, or emotion (or confidence in stock prices LOL), but economic fact.....much tougher competition is coming for Tesla. If it survives that new competition, and/or can adapt to it, fine. If not, well.............
Old 12-29-20, 06:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Why would you bring up Lutz again? He was 100% wrong about Tesla and even admitted it recently.
Old 12-29-20, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Why would you bring up Lutz again? He was 100% wrong about Tesla and even admitted it recently.

Up till now, Tesla has not really faced the conditions that Lutz once predicted. But potential competitors have not been sitting on their laurels.

A lot will depend on what happens both next year and when the pandemic is finally over.

Here's a good (and, IMO, fair-minded) article on the growth of Tesla stock and whether it is overvalued or not. I won't copy/post the whole article because Dave has asked us not to do so with longer links/web-sites.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55391571

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-20 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-29-20, 11:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

We'll see if the proclamations of Tesla's demise come true this time. So far they batting 0.000. On top of that betting against Tesla is the dumbest financial decision I've ever seen.

Quick Reply: Musk: Tesla must cut costs or stock will be ‘crushed like a souffle under a sledgeham