EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Musk: Tesla must cut costs or stock will be ‘crushed like a souffle under a sledgeham

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-21, 04:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
No. It confirms the exact opposite. He's been trashing something he can't/doesn't sell, while promoting something he can.
These are my thoughts too.
Old 01-02-21, 05:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
The number is likely to go up, Jill. Chances are there's another 51 or more deliveries to be found. Today's Tesla release included the following qualifier:

"Our delivery count should be viewed as slightly conservative, as we only count a car as delivered if it is transferred to the customer and all paperwork is correct. Final numbers could vary by up to 0.5% or more."

(Bolding mine)
I am sure that might be the case or maybe not.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-02-21 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-02-21, 05:08 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I just don’t agree that it is massive. Wouldn’t even call it a VICTORY. There were price cuts and freebie giveaways.

call it a positive... yes. I would call it that. Let’s see where the profits are...should be announced soon
You have your opinion but the market value thinks your wrong. Near an all time high and analyst sentiment boosting stock price to new levels. Proof is in the pudding.
Old 01-02-21, 05:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
You have your opinion but the market value . Near an all time high and analyst sentiment boosting stock price to new levels. Proof is in the pudding.
The valuation has certainly been stellar...getting ever so close to 500K is a positive thing.
Old 01-02-21, 06:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

In what universe is 500K cars minus ~50 a failure? Up 36% YoY during a global shutdown is fantastic.
Old 01-02-21, 06:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
In what universe is 500K cars minus ~50 a failure? Up 36% YoY during a global shutdown is fantastic.
Who said it was a failure?
Old 01-02-21, 06:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Who said it was a failure?
I wouldn’t call it a massive victory. It’s is important....still didn’t hit 500K delivered. Hopefully the profit is better when revealed.
Basically saying pretty good I guess but I'll throw shade and complain about something else.
Old 01-02-21, 06:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Basically saying pretty good I guess but I'll throw shade and complain about something else.
You read into far too much I never said it was failure.
Old 01-02-21, 07:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

If Tesla would have lease pricing in line with BMW, MB, Lexus etc - their sales would probably be at least double of what they are now.

I’m not a big EV fan and not crazy about Tesla design/fit&finish but there is no doubting how great their cars drive and the technology they offer is unparalleled. There is no doubt in my mind they will be setting more and more records for next decade at least. None of the mainstream automakers have even one successful EV model while Tesla has a full lineup.
Old 01-02-21, 08:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
I hear often this tale about hydrogen cars.
But the thing is, I believe it's more a hoax, that is ported by oil companies so that they still can be relevant in the future.
A hydrogene car, is loosing energy in every corner. It needs energy to create the fuel, it needs energy to deliver the fuel and it looses part of the fuel stocked to deliver the power.
Seems like you don't know why countries like Japan, with NO fossil fuel resources, have bet the future on hydrogen vehicles.

You can store energy from 'excess' electricity produced by wind and solar (+hydro-electric, and others) by using it to convert water into hydrogen.

so hydrogen doesn't have to come from fossil fuels (e.g., natural gas).
Old 01-02-21, 09:05 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Seems like you don't know why countries like Japan, with NO fossil fuel resources, have bet the future on hydrogen vehicles.
It's a very risky bet given that they're the fifth-largest oil consumer and fourth-largest crude oil importer in the world as of 2019. Hydrogen, nuclear, and renewable resources only make up 13% of their energy usage.

https://www.eia.gov/international/analysis/country/JPN

The government agenda to push hydrogen has been going on for over a decade now yet it makes up a measly 4% of all the energy usage in their country. I think it's another silly public display of nationality and global independence that has more to do with public image than actual utility, just like the rest of the Abe-era policies and Cool Japan agenda.
Old 01-02-21, 10:13 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

The ad hominen attacks on Cadogan's credibility rather than debating the facts he brings up in his videos seems to be a case of shooting the messenger because the audience doesn't like hearing the inconvenient truth.
Old 01-02-21, 10:28 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
The ad hominen attacks on Cadogan's credibility rather than debating the facts he brings up in his videos seems to be a case of shooting the messenger because the audience doesn't like hearing the inconvenient truth.
He has an opinion. Doesn't make it right. Also, some of the "facts" he stated are wrong so it puts his credibility into question.

For every doomsayer of Tesla, there is an optimist for Tesla's vision. I personally think the tides of change favor the EV vision. Let's see if you are right or I am in another couple years.
Old 01-02-21, 10:34 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 694 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Not at all. He clearly has a specific agenda, he has other cars to sell as he can’t make any money from Tesla. That was why he was called out and it was made clear that this was precisely why he was being called out. You don’t need to look far beyond the obvious here.

Old 01-02-21, 10:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Quick Reply: Musk: Tesla must cut costs or stock will be ‘crushed like a souffle under a sledgeham