EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Short review of a 2021 Tesla Model X Long Range Plus

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-21, 03:16 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for sharing, @Hameed . I am tempted to replace our 2019 Raven S with a new X but the price increase on the refresh that came out has lessened the urge.

I like the Raven air suspension changes and it really does improve the X ride quite a bit. I miss how the pre-Ravens pinned you to your seat. The newer Ravens are faster but the sensation of speed isn’t as strong...it’s a more refined smoother power delivery compared to the slingshot feeling of the pre-Ravens.

I love the FWD but there is still a feeling of compromise. Depending on the seat configuration, I wouldn’t necessarily get more usable space than our S:

5-seater: Most cargo space but lacks second AC fan unit and owners report less cooling for rear passengers.

6-seater: Easy egress/ingress to 3rd row but limited cargo ability. Also costs an extra $6K.

7-seater: Manual bench seat. Better for max passengers but less cargo than 5-seater.

Would you consider a Y? At first I didn’t due to the Y’s stiff ride but it’s also a lot cheaper than the X. I also like the additional range (over our S) and faster charging of the Y. @riknchar has perhaps the best practical combo of an S LR+ and a Y.

Old 03-13-21, 07:06 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thanks for sharing, @Hameed . I am tempted to replace our 2019 Raven S with a new X but the price increase on the refresh that came out has lessened the urge.

I like the Raven air suspension changes and it really does improve the X ride quite a bit. I miss how the pre-Ravens pinned you to your seat. The newer Ravens are faster but the sensation of speed isn’t as strong...it’s a more refined smoother power delivery compared to the slingshot feeling of the pre-Ravens.

I love the FWD but there is still a feeling of compromise. Depending on the seat configuration, I wouldn’t necessarily get more usable space than our S:

5-seater: Most cargo space but lacks second AC fan unit and owners report less cooling for rear passengers.

6-seater: Easy egress/ingress to 3rd row but limited cargo ability. Also costs an extra $6K.

7-seater: Manual bench seat. Better for max passengers but less cargo than 5-seater.

Would you consider a Y? At first I didn’t due to the Y’s stiff ride but it’s also a lot cheaper than the X. I also like the additional range (over our S) and faster charging of the Y. @riknchar has perhaps the best practical combo of an S LR+ and a Y.
Thanks !

I haven't driven a Y yet, but just based on the range and charging speed it would be a better car than an older S if that was your main criteria.

Personally, I'd keep the S and work around the slower charging and less range as I don't travel very often and those two advantages are not that important. The comfort, style of the S are spades better than the Y.
Old 03-13-21, 07:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
The comfort, style of the S are spades better than the Y.
Right now, purchase price of Y starts at $50K and purchase price of S starts at $80K so a huge difference. Obviously S is WAAAY nicer than Y.
Y is a spartan cuv. S is more of a large luxury sedan.
Old 03-13-21, 09:30 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Thanks !

I haven't driven a Y yet, but just based on the range and charging speed it would be a better car than an older S if that was your main criteria.

Personally, I'd keep the S and work around the slower charging and less range as I don't travel very often and those two advantages are not that important. The comfort, style of the S are spades better than the Y.
That is true. Thanks for reminding me of reality. I rarely Supercharge as it is. I love the style and ride of the S more than the Y. I can’t shake the psychological desire for more range even though 285-rated miles has served us just fine. Plus, I would lose the free Supercharging if we sold the S (again the benefit is more mental since we don’t Supercharge much).

Last edited by FatherTo1; 03-13-21 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-13-21, 09:41 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well done on the review, thanks for sharing!
Old 03-13-21, 02:50 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Right now, purchase price of Y starts at $50K and purchase price of S starts at $80K so a huge difference. Obviously S is WAAAY nicer than Y.
Y is a spartan cuv. S is more of a large luxury sedan.
Agreed, but I was really referring to his existing Model S, not suggesting he buy a new one.

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
That is true. Thanks for reminding me of reality. I rarely Supercharge as it is. I love the style and ride of the S more than the Y. I can’t shake the psychological desire for more range even though 285-rated miles has served us just fine. Plus, I would lose the free Supercharging if we sold the S (again the benefit is more mental since we don’t Supercharge much).
Exact same situation with me! It's a psychological thing about the range. I would also lose free Supercharging if I got rid of my S.
Old 03-14-21, 09:13 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by TripleL
Well done on the review, thanks for sharing!
Thanks very much!👍