EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Kia EV6

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-23, 06:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

These numbers are actually not that spectacular.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-17-23 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-17-23, 06:12 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
These numbers are actually not that spectacular.
Oh man, that can't be right.

Is that EV6 sales in the US or all over?
With so few units good luck getting one if that's what you like. lol
Old 01-17-23, 06:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

If/when a recession shows its ugly head. These sales will inevitably decrease. Economies of scale are so important to auto manufacturing. I am not quite sure if that is worldwide or North America. I am sure you need to get to 300k/400k (worldwide) before a line of cars is stable when it comes to manufacturing. For sure the KIA and Hyundai are well received but reality is want it is

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-17-23 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-17-23, 06:49 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
There would no reason for them to fudge numbers, that doesn't make logical sense to me
First, there are strong investor implications. It's been done plenty of times before. Theranos, FTX, Crypto are just some of the big names. Plenty of smaller ones we don't hear about.
Second, these data companies are at the mercy of their sources, which we have no way to tell if its been fudged.

The way I go about judging this is simply by sight. I believe what I can see. In my area, I've only seen the KIA EV6 a few times. But I've seen the Tesla model 3 a ton of times. It may very well be that it depends on where I live.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
LOL. This is just absurd.
Just take my post as a friendly reminder to be more skeptical or as a call to take a skeptical approach to the challenges we face in the 21st century.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its not cost cutting, its emissions and fuel economy compliance. A turbo 4 cyl is not cheaper to make than a NA V6. And the turbo 4 cyls are more powerful than the old V6s, not less.
Oh please lol, do you have any idea how huge a scandal it would be if a public company like Hyundai/Kia faked their production numbers?!
Good point. But as Amirza pointed out below the main reason for downsizing the engine is simply due to cost to the manufacturer. A 4cyl trying to make the same power as a V6 has reliability issues.

Huge scandals take place all the time. KIA/Hyundai are not exempted or above breaking the law. They sell a hard product, which means they have an interest in making their products look good.

Besides emissions and fuel savings, it's also cost cutting. A 2.0L turbocharged engine making the same or more power than say a 3.5L V6 is cheaper and lighter (though not as smooth), even with the turbo and extra cooling components. In a question and answer session, a Honda engineer said so much when asked why Honda decided to go with a 1.5L turbo instead of a 2.0L turbo for their 10th gen Civic Si. He said the cost of the Si would jump from $24k to well over $30k, making it priced higher than they wanted. More displacement, heavier engine, higher cost for the manufacturer
Very interesting. Thnx.

Last edited by xGS350x; 01-18-23 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-17-23, 06:57 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x
Actually proof of burden is on them. They asserted those numbers.

I for one am not going to believe everything posted on the internet. Technology has evolved to a point where its way too easy to make claims.

Belief drives peoples actions. Those same beliefs is largely a reason why we(the US) has had so many senseless wars. We're simply not investigating claims or questioning the validity of such claims.
This is without question, the most ironic post I have ever seen on any forum.
Old 01-17-23, 07:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

First, there is a very strong reason why any company would want to fudge their numbers. There are strong investor implications.
There are massive legal implications to knowingly faking numbers. It's not happening.
It's been done plenty of times before.
For example?
Old 01-17-23, 07:08 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And look at what happened...

Do you believe Kia has lied about the sales figures for the EV6?
No, of course not. It's ridiculous to think that's even remotely true. Stuff of bad movies.
Old 01-17-23, 07:11 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
This thread is about the Kia EV6. Please keep on topic.
Going to start booting folks from the thread (more OT posts removed)
Originally Posted by LeX2K
For example?
Let's not go down that path and keep this thread on track and on topic. If you want to find examples, just google it.
Old 01-17-23, 07:15 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think those numbers are fake. There's no way they sold 80k KIA EV6s.

True to some extent. The people who buy Luxury cars(older more affluent) do still care about the engine.
Do you understand that 80K is the GLOBAL number? 20K is the U.S. number for 2022.
Old 01-17-23, 07:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

First, there is a very strong reason why any company would want to fudge their numbers. There are strong investor implications. It's been done plenty of times before.
Second, these companies are at the mercy of their sources, which we have no way to tell if its been fudged.

The way I go about judging this is simply by sight. I believe what I can see. In my area, I've only seen the KIA EV6 a few times. But I've seen the Tesla model 3 a ton of times. It may very well be that it depends on where I live. But can you really blame me for my stance?

Just take my post as a friendly reminder to be more skeptical or as a call to take a skeptical approach to the challenges we face in the 21st century.

Good point. But as Amirza pointed out below and my belief on the main reason for the downsizing of the engines is simply due to cost to the manufacturer. And a 4cyl trying to make the same power as a V6 has reliability issues.

Huge scandals take place all the time. KIA/Hyundai are not exempted or above breaking the law. They sell a hard product, which means they have an interest in making their products look good.

Very interesting. Thnx.
My friend, you have every right to believe or not believe the numbers. I'll just say, don't go by what you physically can or can't see. There are places in the country or world where you won't see a single model 3, yet they outsell everything else. In California I see a ton of EV6's, but that's not the criteria I use. The data I posted was collected by third parties and not Kia. So believing or not believing really makes no difference, the sales data is there, and not believing doesn't change the facts. The last thing I'll mention is fudging the numbers doesn't do anything to help them. Saying they sold more units than they actually did would hurt them
Old 01-17-23, 07:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

My friend, you have every right to believe or not believe the numbers. I'll just say, don't go by what you physically can or can't see. There are places in the country or world where you won't see a single model 3, yet they outsell everything else. In California I see a ton of EV6's, but that's not the criteria I use. The data I posted was collected by third parties and not Kia. So believing or not believing really makes no difference, the sales data is there, and not believing doesn't change the facts. The last thing I'll mention is fudging the numbers doesn't do anything to help them. Saying they sold more units than they actually did would hurt them
Exactly…..
Old 01-17-23, 07:53 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The mods deleted my long reply so I can't touch on those things.

So its back to the EV6! I would never spend 50k on a KIA.
Old 01-17-23, 08:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I would lol. They’re making many cars worth $50k and more.
Old 01-17-23, 08:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330

Those are global numbers, including sales in Korea. I think US numbers are 20K units sold

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-17-23 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-17-23, 08:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The mods deleted my long reply so I can't touch on those things.

So its back to the EV6! I would never spend 50k on a KIA.
I think that's pretty clear, this is not the vehicle for you

Quick Reply: Kia EV6