EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

"ICE-ing" where regular cars park in charging spots...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 05:54 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would think that most times it's not intentional or malicious, many spots simply don't have big signage and 90% of people are simply that unaware and not paying attention as they park. They just see open spot and take it.

Now there are those who would go out of their way to take charging spots, the one in the link even went as far as to bring the charger cable to their obviously not EV car. But unfortunately there are clowns in every walk of life, can't avoid them completely.

Would be super unfortunate if someone truly needed to charge up and was in a rush, but there's no guarantee in those situations that the spot wouldn't have been taken by another person charging and then you'd still have to wait anyways.

More chargers are coming, and hopefully there are some big leaps in charging technologies to mitigate the need for 40-60 minute fast chargers, but we'll see. Until then, it's gonna be a messy transition for all involved.
Old 03-31-21, 06:57 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I would think that most times it's not intentional or malicious, many spots simply don't have big signage and 90% of people are simply that unaware and not paying attention as they park. They just see open spot and take it.

Now there are those who would go out of their way to take charging spots, the one in the link even went as far as to bring the charger cable to their obviously not EV car. But unfortunately there are clowns in every walk of life, can't avoid them completely.

Would be super unfortunate if someone truly needed to charge up and was in a rush, but there's no guarantee in those situations that the spot wouldn't have been taken by another person charging and then you'd still have to wait anyways.

More chargers are coming, and hopefully there are some big leaps in charging technologies to mitigate the need for 40-60 minute fast chargers, but we'll see. Until then, it's gonna be a messy transition for all involved.
the great thing about Tesla superchargers is the car's navi does tell you how many spots are available. Problem is it is using data from the charger to see which is active or not. If a gas engine car parks there and just sticks the cable into the hood like in the link, then it would still read as "open" to Teslas
Old 03-31-21, 07:18 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
do you park in the spaces reserved for pregnant women too?

No. I've never even taken up a charging spot. I just said that if I were at a place spending money I wouldn't lose sleep over it if it were the absolute last one.
Old 03-31-21, 07:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Some of what you say is true, but, in general, let's face facts. Like it or not, we can sugar-coat it all day long, but there are a lot of people who take a Me-First attitude and simply do not care about laws, regulations, courtesy, or what others have to go through because of their own selfishness. And these people will use abusive language, give you the middle-finger, or, in some cases, worse, if you try and point it out, even politely.
Old 03-31-21, 07:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
No. I've never even taken up a charging spot. I just said that if I were at a place spending money I wouldn't lose sleep over it if it were the absolute last one.
You also probably have a valid excuse for parking in special-reserved spaces, if my memory is correct. Aren't you one of the CL members with back problems, and surgery.....or am I thinking of someone else? I know that Bagwell and Lobuxracer, among others, have had back problems.
Old 03-31-21, 07:33 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You also probably have a valid excuse for parking in special-reserved spaces, if my memory is correct. Aren't you one of the CL members with back problems, and surgery.....or am I thinking of someone else? I know that Bagwell and Lobuxracer, among others, have had back problems.
No, it's me...your memory is correct . I haven't even driven yet but I'm going to get a temp handicapped tag once I do start driving.
Old 03-31-21, 07:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I'll rephrase: Would you "lose sleep" parking in spots reserved for pregnant women, since it's not "illegal"?
Old 03-31-21, 07:48 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I'll rephrase: Would you "lose sleep" parking in spots reserved for pregnant women, since it's not "illegal"?
I'll rephrase too: I wouldn't take one of those to begin with.

Also, again, I've never even taken an EV spot.
Old 03-31-21, 07:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

On maybe a somewhat related note. Home Depot has a few parking spots reserved for veteran's parking. When I park in one of the spots I wonder if necessary how I'd prove that I'm a veteran. I never did carry military ID.
Old 03-31-21, 08:04 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
On maybe a somewhat related note. Home Depot has a few parking spots reserved for veteran's parking. When I park in one of the spots I wonder if necessary how I'd prove that I'm a veteran. I never did carry military ID.
Never seen those.

However, start going to Lowe's as they offer 10% off on everything in the store for vets and active military! I'm sure it adds up.

Thank you for protecting my freedom.
Old 03-31-21, 08:08 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Honor system. No one can enforce it but the a-holes will do what they do. Most people wouldn't bat an eye if someone takes the Veteran spot as they assume its legit. As a car enthusiast though, I always park my car the furthest away from the store opening as I hate anyone parking next to me. Honestly, I haven't had a door ding in years as 90% of the time I park, there isn't a car next to me.
Old 03-31-21, 08:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I've seen those at Lowe's. No one's going to ask; I'm sure people park in those spots who aren't entitled to, unfortunately.
Old 03-31-21, 08:24 AM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

I know this wasn't directed to me but I'll respond to it anyway...I wouldn't lose sleep parking in these spots. I won't take one to be spiteful, but I absolutely will if they're the only ones left.

Why? Because in most cases these spots are in front of a huge grocery store in which one walks hundreds of cumulative yards to shop...but I am supposed to accept that they desperately need to be 50' closer to the store? It's just cheap virtue signaling (which society as a whole is flooded with) by the store, paid for by the inconveniencing of everyone else.

("But...what about handicapped parking spaces!" you might ask? Besides being mandated by law in many places, they're also wider and often have buffer spaces between them, allowing for the safe and easy use of wheelchairs and other mobility devices. Totally legit.)
Old 03-31-21, 08:35 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

People will know right away very hard to fake.
Old 03-31-21, 09:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dorsai
I know this wasn't directed to me but I'll respond to it anyway...I wouldn't lose sleep parking in these spots. I won't take one to be spiteful, but I absolutely will if they're the only ones left.

Why? Because in most cases these spots are in front of a huge grocery store in which one walks hundreds of cumulative yards to shop...but I am supposed to accept that they desperately need to be 50' closer to the store? It's just cheap virtue signaling (which society as a whole is flooded with) by the store, paid for by the inconveniencing of everyone else.

("But...what about handicapped parking spaces!" you might ask? Besides being mandated by law in many places, they're also wider and often have buffer spaces between them, allowing for the safe and easy use of wheelchairs and other mobility devices. Totally legit.)
So the pregnant woman cannot possibly "desperately" need to be 50' closer; but somehow that open spot is a horrible inconvenience to you?

Quick Reply: "ICE-ing" where regular cars park in charging spots...