EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

"ICE-ing" where regular cars park in charging spots...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 10:37 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

New chargers are often put close to the building because that's where a big enough power supply is easy to tap into. Far reaches of parking lots don't often have a power supply big enough to place a charger.

Now in many cases we're seeing outer reaches of the parking lot used because they're also putting independent power units that need additional space, these are usually by Electrify America or EV go, etc which are not free.
Old 03-31-21, 10:50 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
New chargers are often put close to the building because that's where a big enough power supply is easy to tap into. Far reaches of parking lots don't often have a power supply big enough to place a charger.

Now in many cases we're seeing outer reaches of the parking lot used because they're also putting independent power units that need additional space, these are usually by Electrify America or EV go, etc which are not free.
Most Tesla chargers have a dedicated space far away from buildings too. It's because the very high voltage chargers need huge dedicated power units like you said. Only the slow chargers are next to the actual buildings and those aren't really used for long distance travelers.
Old 03-31-21, 05:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
https://insideevs.com/news/497446/te...z2hofMo42I9fDA

Apparently this is sort of a thing. I hate electric cars but this is rather low.

That said, if I were a paying customer at a place of business and a Tesla spot was the last open parking space, I would take it and not lose any sleep over the matter.
‘with all these new concepts being announced. I am kinda starting to dislike them too. They all look the same. At least Taycan looks like a normal car. Same with Mach E.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-31-21 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-31-21, 07:26 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
So the pregnant woman cannot possibly "desperately" need to be 50' closer; but somehow that open spot is a horrible inconvenience to you?
lol, we are simply not going to get anywhere here. It's the same problem as wearing masks in this country. Since it is such a "huge inconvenience" to wear a mask, its no wonder how the pandemic affected this country, versus other countries where citizens follow the rules.
Old 03-31-21, 07:29 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dorsai
I know this wasn't directed to me but I'll respond to it anyway...I wouldn't lose sleep parking in these spots. I won't take one to be spiteful, but I absolutely will if they're the only ones left.

Why? Because in most cases these spots are in front of a huge grocery store in which one walks hundreds of cumulative yards to shop...but I am supposed to accept that they desperately need to be 50' closer to the store? It's just cheap virtue signaling (which society as a whole is flooded with) by the store, paid for by the inconveniencing of everyone else.

("But...what about handicapped parking spaces!" you might ask? Besides being mandated by law in many places, they're also wider and often have buffer spaces between them, allowing for the safe and easy use of wheelchairs and other mobility devices. Totally legit.)
Could be "cheap virtue signaling". Or, it may get people to think, hey, if I buy an electric car, I can get some added benefit. The whole point of the spots in front is to give another incentive for people to go green, like HOV lane stickers. Whether or not you agree with it, the mere fact that it is a policy outlined by the store should be reason enough. There are tons of "rules" that are created that inconvenience people, but the world would be utter chaos if nobody listened to them.
Old 03-31-21, 08:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

At the end of the day, IMO this is a class thing. If a spot is marked for someone who isn’t me...I don’t park in it. Whether it’s illegal or not.
Old 04-01-21, 04:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol, we are simply not going to get anywhere here. It's the same problem as wearing masks in this country. Since it is such a "huge inconvenience" to wear a mask, its no wonder how the pandemic affected this country, versus other countries where citizens follow the rules.
Maybe. But in the same sentence there was an acknowledgment that the pregnant person isn't inconvenienced by walking an additional 50'; so then why not leave the spot open and walk the additional 50' yourself?
Old 04-01-21, 04:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
At the end of the day, IMO this is a class thing. If a spot is marked for someone who isn’t me...I don’t park in it. Whether it’s illegal or not.
Except at a Hilton. I'm not a Blue Diamond member...but I will most definitely park in a Blue Diamond member level reserved spot....
Old 04-01-21, 05:10 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 550 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I work for a real estate firm that recently retrofitted parking spaces for a few of our office buildings with chargers. The goal was to make the properties stand out to decision makers who sign the leases.

The chargers were placed close to the buildings for the reason you mentioned, easier installation and also so that our security guards can keep a better eye on them because there is abuse if not monitored. We have a 4 hour limit and the chargers turn off outside of business hours. Tenants need to sign in and register their car to ensure only tenants use the chargers. Its an extra step but I think worth the trade-off to potentially never pay for "fuel" again if you work at the property indefinitely. The electric is tied to our meter so the tenants do not pay for the charge. It has still turned into a bit of a headache for our guards since we had to take up a few prime spaces.

Last edited by BMGS; 04-01-21 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-01-21, 06:16 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

I understand EV charges being placed at apartment buildings and hotels, but why malls or other places of business such as office buildings? I would expect anyone with an EV should have planned to have enough charge to do their shopping, go to work, etc., and charge at home or an actual charging station. I don't expect to go to the local grocery store or my place of business or a mall and get a spot up front & fill my car with gas...OK, Costco being the exception- but even that is separate from the actual store.
Old 04-01-21, 06:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Except at a Hilton. I'm not a Blue Diamond member...but I will most definitely park in a Blue Diamond member level reserved spot....
I still wouldnt lol

Originally Posted by jer
I understand EV charges being placed at apartment buildings and hotels, but why malls or other places of business such as office buildings? I would expect anyone with an EV should have planned to have enough charge to do their shopping, go to work, etc., and charge at home or an actual charging station. I don't expect to go to the local grocery store or my place of business or a mall and get a spot up front & fill my car with gas...OK, Costco being the exception- but even that is separate from the actual store.
Because malls and office buildings see the financial benefit of providing chargers to EV drivers, its just that simple.
Old 04-01-21, 07:13 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 550 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
At our office properties, the charge is 100% free to the tenant (but not the tenant's visitors). If you had the choice to charge up at work for free or pay for the charge at home, wouldn't you go for the free option, even its 50% of the time?

It easily makes financial sense to install at an office building for differentiation. There is a lot of competition in real estate and any edge helps through various amenities. If an average lease is worth a few hundred grand in income, and an electric charger factors into even 1% of the decision maker's decision to sign a new lease or renew, then the chargers have already paid for themselves from one or two leases. We timed one of our installs with a renewal where the decision maker had a Tesla. Its obviously hard to say what exactly goes into a renewal decision but it certainly didn't hurt.

Last edited by BMGS; 04-01-21 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-01-21, 07:27 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
Since charging takes longer than filling up, having a mall or Walmart makes it a nice perk for the EV owner. Many Walmarts and malls are also located along major highways so if a business can create more foot traffic through its stores by having EV chargers, thats a benefit to the business for sure. For urban areas, chargers can also be a great benefit because people may not have a garage to charge in so the owner may be more incentivized to go to a charger that has a Walmart near it so they can shop while charging. These types of urban chargers are typically a bit slower than the more powerful chargers you see along highways though. Tesla has these slower chargers that i see quite often in urban areas (they are called Urban chargers that deliver only 72kw of juice). Tesla's V3 Superchargers that deliver 250kw are usually littered mainly on highways.

The newer EVs coming out though charge so fast that shopping while charging may become obsolete. The EV6 and Ionic can go from 15-80% charge in 15 minutes with their new 800V architecture. Barely enough time to go order a Starbucks with a bathroom break.
Old 04-01-21, 07:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Originally Posted by EZZ
Since charging takes longer than filling up, having a mall or Walmart makes it a nice perk for the EV owner.
LOL, class and Walmart, what could possibly go wrong?
Old 04-01-21, 08:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, class and Walmart, what could possibly go wrong?
Yeah, I also don’t go to Walmart haha

Quick Reply: "ICE-ing" where regular cars park in charging spots...