EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

"ICE-ing" where regular cars park in charging spots...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-21, 04:25 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Default "ICE-ing" where regular cars park in charging spots...

https://insideevs.com/news/497446/te...z2hofMo42I9fDA

Apparently this is sort of a thing. I hate electric cars but this is rather low.

That said, if I were a paying customer at a place of business and a Tesla spot was the last open parking space, I would take it and not lose any sleep over the matter.
Old 03-30-21, 04:48 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

Apparently this is sort of a thing. I hate electric cars but this is rather low.

That said, if I were a paying customer at a place of business and a Tesla spot was the last open parking space, I would take it and not lose any sleep over the matter.
I sometime see a tow truck in the vicinity of the Superchargers at the mall i go to. I can imagine he gets a good revenue from towing the ICE soon as they leave to go in
Old 03-30-21, 04:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Unfortunately parking enforcement is a very difficult task, and often a cause of road rage, frustration and even violence. Even if someone is blocking your driveway, you must first call the police to issue them a ticket, and only then you can call a tow truck. Depending on how busy they are, police may take hours to respond, or even not show up.

In a privately owned lot, I don't think there is a need to get cops involved, and as long as the lot owner makes arrangements, a local towing company is going to be more than happy to tow illegally parked cars and charge them a hefty fee.
Old 03-30-21, 05:00 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Unfortunately parking enforcement is a very difficult task, and often a cause of road rage, frustration and even violence. Even if someone is blocking your driveway, you must first call the police to issue them a ticket, and only then you can call a tow truck. Depending on how busy they are, police may take hours to respond, or even not show up.

In a privately owned lot, I don't think there is a need to get cops involved, and as long as the lot owner makes arrangements, a local towing company is going to be more than happy to tow illegally parked cars and charge them a hefty fee.
Most of the charging stations are on private lots. I bet most places don't enforce towing. We no longer have ICEs parking in Tesla spots as there are more than enough Tesla owners who would get the ICE towed in minutes but California is Tesla dense. As more EVs are bought, this will become less common though.
Old 03-30-21, 05:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Most of the charging stations are on private lots. I bet most places don't enforce towing. We no longer have ICEs parking in Tesla spots as there are more than enough Tesla owners who would get the ICE towed in minutes but California is Tesla dense. As more EVs are bought, this will become less common though.
There is also the question of strategic placement of these spots. Often people disobey the rules and park in the handicapped spots that are generally wider and more conveniently located in the parking lot, closer to the entrances to the establishments. If the lot owners place these charger spots conveniently similar to handicapped spots, people will continue to take them illegally. These spots should be placed in the far ends of parking lot, this way people wont be tempted to take them, and even occasional trolls are going to be too lazy to bother.
Old 03-30-21, 06:59 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

really? Id like to think people should be more considerate of following rules posted by businesses, otherwise we just have chaos in the world. I see so many businesses with "fuel efficient vehicle" posted, or Hybrid vehicles only, and most people seem to follow the rules. That isn't that much of a big deal, but some electric car could be in dangerous need of a charge if you just take a spot like that,
Old 03-30-21, 07:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
really? Id like to think people should be more considerate of following rules posted by businesses, otherwise we just have chaos in the world. I see so many businesses with "fuel efficient vehicle" posted, or Hybrid vehicles only, and most people seem to follow the rules. That isn't that much of a big deal, but some electric car could be in dangerous need of a charge if you just take a spot like that,
It wasn't my choice to buy a vehicle that requires a charge everywhere you park it, not really my problem.

I would only do that if it were the absolute last space at a place I was spending money at.

It's not like I'm talking about parking in handicapped, and breaking the law.
Old 03-30-21, 07:08 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

It wasn't my choice to buy a vehicle that requires a charge everywhere you park it, not really my problem.

I would only do that if it were the absolute last space at a place I was spending money at.

Conversely, I guess you wouldn't get mad if someone towed you. I have no problem getting a car towed if I need a charge.
Old 03-30-21, 07:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
On the other hand, many businesses simply allocate certain spots for handicapped, electric, etc just to comply with local regulations, but they don't care to enforce these rules. Personally, I have never seen anyone get a summons, much less get towed, for illegally parking in a handicapped spot in a parking lot. A lot of business owners even go as far as using handicapped spots in their lots to park their own cars.
Old 03-30-21, 07:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Conversely, I guess you wouldn't get mad if someone towed you. I have no problem getting a car towed if I need a charge.
You have authority to tow vehicles?

When I lived in Los Angeles I saw spots ICED like clockwork. I don't think the Tesla "don't park here" signs scare anyone.
Old 03-30-21, 07:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
People get into confrontations and fights over parking spots all the time. You get someones car towed, then they vandalize your car out of spite. It wiser to just allocate charger spaces in the far end of the parking lot, to discourage the potential misuse.
Old 03-30-21, 07:24 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

You have authority to tow vehicles?

When I lived in Los Angeles I saw spots ICED like clockwork. I don't think the Tesla "don't park here" signs scare anyone.
The ones next to me say it will be towed if you park there. Just contact security and they will tow quite quickly. If it doesn't say tow, then obviously you can't get towed.
Old 03-30-21, 07:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I personally try to avoid places that are so overcrowded where parking is so limited that you need to hunt for that last place. I try to always park far away by myself to avoid door ding and shopping carts bumping into my car. But generally I like to shop local, a perk that we have here in NYC, so I don't have to deal with parking and huge malls. I can't stand going to huge, crowded stores such as Ikea, Costco, etc. I turn into a raging sociopath within minutes of being there.
Old 03-30-21, 07:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I personally try to avoid places that are so overcrowded where parking is so limited that you need to hunt for that last place. I try to always park far away by myself to avoid door ding and shopping carts bumping into my car.
Same here, I am not a "crowded mall" person. Let's just say I really doubt anyone will ever miss out on an EV spot because of me. I never did it in LA. Here I don't ever see it being a problem.

Originally Posted by Och
But generally I like to shop local, a perk that we have here in NYC, so I don't have to deal with parking and huge malls. I can't stand going to huge, crowded stores such as Ikea, Costco, etc. I turn into a raging sociopath within minutes of being there.
Again, same here.
Old 03-31-21, 05:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

do you park in the spaces reserved for pregnant women too?

Quick Reply: "ICE-ing" where regular cars park in charging spots...