EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Taycan road trip S. FL to NJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-21, 12:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts
Default Taycan road trip S. FL to NJ

so i watched this long video, and found it quite interesting. the reviewer has a tesla, has tested lots of EVs. somehow he got a taycan do do a road trip in.

he says the taycan typically meets of exceeds its EPA rating and typically does that no matter what speed you drive it, which is impressive! many have trashed the taycan for not having more range, but at least its numbers are honest.
reviewer says teslas get nowhere near their EPA ratings, with a model 3 (LR i think he said) getting under 200 on a highway drive, while the taycan gets about 250.

more interesting is his experience charging the vehicle. to put it mildly, it was pathetic. granted this was almost all Electrify America charge stations (of which there appear to be loads) and not Tesla Superchargers.

but even IF he hadn't had charging problems there's no way in HELL i'd spend that much time in vast walmart parking lots waiting around for a car to recharge. ugh.

cliffnotes:

- amazing car
- roadtrip charging sucks

Old 04-20-21, 01:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so i watched this long video, and found it quite interesting. the reviewer has a tesla, has tested lots of EVs. somehow he got a taycan do do a road trip in.

he says the taycan typically meets of exceeds its EPA rating and typically does that no matter what speed you drive it, which is impressive! many have trashed the taycan for not having more range, but at least its numbers are honest.
reviewer says teslas get nowhere near their EPA ratings, with a model 3 (LR i think he said) getting under 200 on a highway drive, while the taycan gets about 250.

more interesting is his experience charging the vehicle. to put it mildly, it was pathetic. granted this was almost all Electrify America charge stations (of which there appear to be loads) and not Tesla Superchargers.

but even IF he hadn't had charging problems there's no way in HELL i'd spend that much time in vast walmart parking lots waiting around for a car to recharge. ugh.

cliffnotes:

- amazing car
- roadtrip charging sucks

https://youtu.be/lR41-IS9HTU
Thats Kyle from Out-of-spec Motoring and he has a Performance model 3. He's been doing videos for a long time and he gets around 200 miles with his Performance 3 but travels consistently at 80-85mph. I've seen all his videos because he owns a racetrack that he performs all his testing on. He's done multiple cross country trips in his Model 3 and it already has 80k miles on it. If you travel around 75mph, you'll get at least 275 miles out of a LR AWD. Going above 80mph will kill range much faster.

He also never charges to 80% on his trips as the optimal way to charge an EV on a road trip is to keep the battery under 60-70% as charging curve is much faster at lower states of charge. Its better to go from 10% to 60% and then to haul it as fast as you can to the next charger and do another 10-60% charge vs. charging to 80% and going slow but skipping the next closest charger. Kyle holds the 2 cannonball records for EVs in the US...one with his Model 3 Performance and the other with the Taycan 4S.

Also, non-Tesla DC fast charging isn't great and EA is the worst of the bunch. Tesla chargers are much easier but no matter what, each charge will probably be at least 15-25 minutes depending on the speed of the charger and the ambient temps. Road tripping an EV will add on average 10-15% longer trip times with an efficient charging network.
Old 04-20-21, 01:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

reviewer says teslas get nowhere near their EPA ratings, with a model 3 (LR i think he said)
That is what I have heard. Tesla range is crappy in cold weather too. I understand the Porsche ranges meets expectations but have no idea in the cold weather if they lose range like Tesla

It is pathetic...Americans will not be doing the lame charging thing for long trips.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-20-21 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-20-21, 03:04 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I've watched Kyle's videos before and he does a nice informative job. Definitely not the way I'd want to take a road trip even though the Taycan is impressive for what it is. Any fun or enjoyment would be sucked out of it. Tracking EV continuing progress will be interesting though.
Old 04-20-21, 04:37 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

I've seen other videos as well where the Taycan meets the EPA range without any problems. Great stuff! Only downside (which will get better eventually) is charging on trips.

As EZZ pointed out, driving at 80 MPH will definitely kill range and the EPA on Tesla's in not achievable at 80 MPH highway speeds. I drive at 70 mph usually and I easily meet the stated EPA range on my 75D

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That is what I have heard. Tesla range is crappy in cold weather too.
Completely and totally inaccurate. I'm willing to prove to anyone, anytime that this is false information. It's about 20 -25% less. If that is your definition of "crappy", then it's crappy. I know you love EV's and Tesla's in particular.
Old 04-20-21, 05:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Completely and totally inaccurate. I'm willing to prove to anyone, anytime that this is false information. It's about 20 -25% less. If that is your definition of "crappy", then it's crappy. I know you love EV's and Tesla's in particular.
I'd say 20-25% loss is pretty crappy too. so if 'normal' range is 250, 20% less is down to 200. Not an issue if just doing a commute and errands, but 200 is not a huge amount of driving on a trip.
Old 04-20-21, 05:15 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

I'd say 20-25% loss is pretty crappy too. so if 'normal' range is 250, 20% less is down to 200. Not an issue if just doing a commute and errands, but 200 is not a huge amount of driving on a trip.
That's roughly 3 hours of driving - plenty for most people unless you dehydrate yourself or are very limber and don't get stiff from sitting in one place for 3 hours. . We're talking winter driving regarding this type of loss.
Old 04-20-21, 06:14 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

It is pathetic...Americans will not be doing the lame charging thing for long trips.
In practice, an EV owner will be accomplishing another need, such as using restroom or grabbing a bite to eat, during charging. People are not suffering through the entire 30 minute wait at a V3 Supercharger. I still remember repeatedly waiting 25 minutes in Costco gas lines with too many other Americans. If we are willing to wait that long for gas then we can handle the same wait for electrons.

The fact that thousands were willing to wait in queue for 8+ hours just to buy Disneyland tickets, and thus the privilege to wait more hours in line for a ride or attraction, tells me “waiting to charge” won’t be nearly as bad. If EV charging is such a game stopper then you wouldn’t have every major auto manufacturer electrifying their line-up.
Old 04-20-21, 08:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
In practice, an EV owner will be accomplishing another need, such as using restroom or grabbing a bite to eat, during charging.
did you watch the video? most place he stopped were in massive parking lots with NOTHING around except walmart or some lame strip mall. these were places right off the interstates. and unlike sacramento, in many places he pulled into it was FREEZING, middle or night, or the walmart was a huge distance from the car. he gets a flat on the way (not unique to an EV of course) and desperately tries to get a fix a flat kit from walmart which had just closed but they let him in. he later found that the taycan did have a kit in it!

If EV charging is such a game stopper then you wouldn’t have every major auto manufacturer electrifying their line-up.
i don't think anyone said it's a "game stopper". and every major maker is working on EVs because government mandates toward zero emissions.
Old 04-20-21, 08:27 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

did you watch the video? most place he stopped were in massive parking lots with NOTHING around except walmart or some lame strip mall. these were places right off the interstates. and unlike sacramento, in many places he pulled into it was FREEZING, middle or night, or the walmart was a huge distance from the car. he gets a flat on the way (not unique to an EV of course) and desperately tries to get a fix a flat kit from walmart which had just closed but they let him in. he later found that the taycan did have a kit in it!i don't think anyone said it's a "game stopper". and every major maker is working on EVs because government mandates toward zero emissions.
Isn't that the difference between Tesla and other charging strategies. Tesla chargers are typically around places to eat or large gas stations with convenience stores. Many are also right next to a cluster of hotels right off the highway. When other chargers are buying built, they can decide if Tesla or EA strategies are better. I prefer the Tesla locations far more but others may really like Walmart.