EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Audi E-Tron GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-21, 06:23 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A century ago + ago, electric cars were more prevalent than ICE cars. Did you know that?
Definitely weren't
Old 08-11-21, 06:30 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 516 Likes on 352 Posts

Doesn’t the model three weight between 1000 to 1500 pounds less than an Audi or a Porsche? So it’s a little odd to compare them.
My point is simple. Tesla's EV tech is far ahead of any other car maker. I make this point for 2 reasons.
1 - For years we have been hearing, "Wait till the big boys come in..."
2 - It is blantantly true. The mighty Porsche claimed 500 mile range when the Taycan was under development.

Now, compare the Audi Porsche platform to the Model S and they fall even shorter.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but awe for the incredible history and accomplishments of Porsche. They are a legendary car company.
I am simply comparing the numbers.

We were in our Model 3 when I first saw the drop dead gorgeous Taycan...
Old 08-11-21, 06:34 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

A century ago + ago, electric cars were more prevalent than ICE cars. Did you know that? Bet you never knew that ICE cars were invented after battery electrics. But people at that time realized that charging takes way too loooonnnnggg
There were very few cars in America back then. Only the rich could own a car. There were no gas sttions either. So electric powered cars made more sense, right?
Old 08-11-21, 07:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
My point is simple. Tesla's EV tech is far ahead of any other car maker. I make this point for 2 reasons.
1 - For years we have been hearing, "Wait till the big boys come in..."
2 - It is blantantly true. The mighty Porsche claimed 500 mile range when the Taycan was under development.

Now, compare the Audi Porsche platform to the Model S and they fall even shorter.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but awe for the incredible history and accomplishments of Porsche. They are a legendary car company.
I am simply comparing the numbers.

We were in our Model 3 when I first saw the drop dead gorgeous Taycan...
It’s just strange that a Tesla 3 with a huge weight advantage is compared against the Etron which tips the scales at 5000lbs yet is deemed so superior with the EV tech. If the Tesla cars had all the bells and whistles as well as all the new features, the performance advantage would be diminished. It’s great that the range is excellent on “some” Tesla 3…same with performance…but it obviously comes as a compromise such as no speed cluster, no heads up display, no 4 wheel steering, no Nappa leather, no sunshades etc. Heck, even the new Tesla S cost cut out the height adjustment for the front seat belts…

As for the big boys…mmm, the new Taycan is gonna sell 10,000 units in the US…done really well…I think it’s outselling the S and even sells for more money……no doubt Porsche gets the profit part right….it’s preceived as a great EV. All on their first try. Now here comes the Audi Etron or Merceds EQS…Hummer too…yet Tesla delays their new Cybertruck.

There were very few cars in America back then. Only the rich could own a car. There were no gas sttions either. So electric powered cars made more sense, right?
The roads and highway systems started to develop…EV became a problem as charging them took too long…range anxiety and charging took long. .They were also too expensive compared to a gas car. Same thing as today.

. Only the rich could own a car.
Gas and electric came to the market around the same time. Gas, steam or electric were the choice. One in 3 were EV. Lots of taxis too.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-11-21 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-11-21, 08:33 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

It’s just strange that a Tesla 3 with a huge weight advantage is compared against the Etron which tips the scales at 5000lbs yet is deemed so superior with the EV tech. If the Tesla cars had all the bells and whistles as well as all the new features, the performance advantage would be diminished. It’s great that the range is excellent on “some” Tesla 3…same with performance…but it obviously comes as a compromise such as no speed cluster, no heads up display, no 4 wheel steering, no Nappa leather, no sunshades etc. Heck, even the new Tesla S cost cut out the height adjustment for the front seat belts…

As for the big boys…mmm, the new Taycan is gonna sell 10,000 units in the US…done really well…I think it’s outselling the S and even sells for more money……no doubt Porsche gets the profit part right….it’s preceived as a great EV. All on their first try. Now here comes the Audi Etron or Merceds EQS…Hummer too…yet Tesla delays their new Cybertruck.
The Model 3 weighs 3,700 to 4,250 depending on configuration.
There is not doubt Porsche and Audi are beautifully crafted cars. I also agree my car needs blind spot mirrors (not just on the tablet screen) and HUD would be awesome. I love the HUD on our RX. The blind spot indicators on both our Lexi will flat out spoil you and a offer great safety.
I will tell you this. After owning and driving the techie Model 3, I find the Lexus dash and controls unnecessarily complicated. The voice commands. Over the air updates are usually pretty minor bug fixes and functionality, but sometimes are really amazing. That's my experience, you may not agree. And there is so much more...
Tesla is not trying to make an electric Porsche or anything else. Teslas are different and futuristic. They are not for everyone, I can tell you that. If you are looking for a Porsche Audi, a Tesla ain't gonna be it.
Teslas, with all their fittment issues (which have improved greatly), lack of BSM and HUD, and all their shortommings garner the highest customer satisfaction of any car. Owners are rabid about their cars.

Regarding the big boys, from an EV tech standpoint, they have fallen far short. And many have been building cars for 100 years. Those are the numbers.
Again, each to their own. Personally, I love my GS; it is a great car. If I were buying today, a Tesla Model 3 is all that interests me. Everything else is old and has been done before.

Tesla stopped Model S and X production early this year to change over to the refreshed car. They just started building them again. The wait time to get one is next year. Tesla just cannot build cars fast enough to supply the demand. When Giga Austin and Giga Berlin start production Tesla should have more time for the SEMI, (the butt-ugly) Cybertruk and the incredible Roadster 2. And word is, Shanghai is close on the Model 2.

But of course everything is on Elon time, whatever that is...

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 08-11-21 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-11-21, 08:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I will tell you this. After owning and driving the techie Model 3, I find the Lexus dash and controls unnecessarily complicated. The voice commands.
If I were buying today, a Tesla Model 3 is all that interests me. Everything else is old and has been done before.
cool stuff. Happy you love your Tesla 3. It’s fascinating watching the love for the brand that some of you have
Old 08-12-21, 01:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

... Regarding the big boys
please (all) stop these sexist references, there's plenty of females and presumably 'other' in the auto industry including the ceo of GM.

Old 08-12-21, 03:51 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
please (all) stop these sexist references, there's plenty of females and presumably 'other' in the auto industry including the ceo of GM.
Note to self: "stop these sexist references"