EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

EV charging in the US is broken — can it be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-21, 08:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
When you say majority of people...i disagree with that statement. For some people, that is the case but there many different types of users with different needs. Someone who hardly road trips would find BEVs far more beneficial in terms of cost and convenience while someone who road trips frequently may find hybrids more preferable. Many factors will go into the decision including cost, range, charger availability, performance, tech, and the most important...use case. For 99% of my daily needs, i couldn't tell the difference between a BEV and ICE and I suspect, most people fall into this bucket.
The upfront cost is too much for most people. I think there are direct comparables with the Hyundai brand at the moment…gas vs hybrid for full EV. I think KONA has all three, the upfront cost of a KONA EV is almost 2X the cost of a KONA gas.
Old 05-13-21, 09:04 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The upfront cost is too much for most people. I think there are direct comparables with the Hyundai brand at the moment…gas vs hybrid for full EV. I think KONA has all three, the upfront cost of a KONA EV is almost 2X the cost of a KONA gas.
Thats now. Battery costs are expected to decline significantly in the next 5 years. See the link below. Tesla themselves expect a 56% decline in battery costs by 5 years when the 4680 becomes their main battery supply.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/05/ne...t-ice-by-2027/
Old 05-13-21, 12:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Thats now. Battery costs are expected to decline significantly in the next 5 years. See the link below. Tesla themselves expect a 56% decline in battery costs by 5 years when the 4680 becomes their main battery supply.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/05/ne...t-ice-by-2027/
Are there any manufacturers on recording supporting this third party study?
Old 05-13-21, 12:26 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Are there any manufacturers on recording supporting this third party study?
Are there any manufacturers denying that this third party is wrong? You won't find any because the expectation is that BEV will reach cost parity at $100/kwh (see below that talks about that). The cost curve is already coming down drastically as I've mentioned before. I'm not even going to mention total cost of ownership as ICE will lose that easily.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/will-ev...dable-in-2023/
Old 05-13-21, 12:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Are there any manufacturers denying that this third party is wrong? You won't find any because the expectation is that BEV will reach cost parity at $100/kwh (see below that talks about that). The cost curve is already coming down drastically as I've mentioned before. I'm not even going to mention total cost of ownership as ICE will lose that easily.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/will-ev...dable-in-2023/
are there any manufacturers claiming that their battery electrics will be cheaper to produce than their gas models? Anyone on record?

Show me an example of a total cost battery electric that is cheaper than a Toyota Corolla hybrid? $23,600 MSRP

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-13-21 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-13-21, 12:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

are there any manufacturers claiming that their battery electrics will be cheaper to produce than their gas models?

Show me an example of a total cost battery electric that is cheaper than a Toyota Corolla hybrid?
Can you prove aliens have not visited me in the last year? That's your argument.
Old 05-13-21, 12:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

are there any manufacturers claiming that their battery electrics will be cheaper to produce than their gas models? Show me an example of a total cost battery electric that is cheaper than a Toyota Corolla hybrid?
Are there any that are saying their future BEVs won't? You keep going around in circles. Nobody said they are cheaper NOW. The expectation is that they will be as cheap or cheaper in the future.
Old 05-13-21, 12:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
. The expectation is that they will be as cheap or cheaper in the future.
But not in 5 years? As that study claims

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-13-21 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-13-21, 12:50 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

But not in 5 years? As that study claims
Do you have proof of that? Show me something that disproves that study.
Old 05-13-21, 12:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Do you have proof of that? Show me something that disproves that study.
It’s a useless study. Nobody has supported it. If there are any manufactures on record, that state that their battery electrics will be cheaper to manufacture then gasoline by those dates , then I would believe there will be some support for the study
Old 05-13-21, 12:56 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

It’s a useless study. Nobody has supported it. If there are any manufactures on record, that state that their battery electrics will be cheaper to manufacture then gasoline, then I would believe there will be some support for the study
Okay...so you are admitting you have no evidence and you don't know anything. Okay, got it.
Old 05-13-21, 12:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Okay...so you are admitting you have no evidence and you don't know anything. Okay, got it.
It’s a useless study. Just like, teslas claim that they will reduce manufacturing costs by this date or that date or whatever they say. Either do it or you don’t.

But back to the electric charging stations, they will never work. For mass adoption. There are too many people that will just reject the idea of taking a battery electric and charging it at some station.

The upfront cost of battery electric cars is too expensive for most people. Add in charging stations, and people who live in apartments, or people who just don’t wanna add chargers to the garage, and perhaps you can see how other people do not want to live with a charger

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-13-21 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-13-21, 01:00 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

It’s a useless study. Just like, teslas claim that they will reduce manufacturing costs by this date or that date or whatever they say. Either do it or you don’t.

But back to the electric charging stations, they will never work. For mass adoption. There are too many people that will just reject the idea of taking a battery electric and charging it at some station.

The upfront cost battery electric cars is too expensive for most people.
But that date hasn't come. You don't provide evidence that the projections aren't going to come...you just dismiss it and provide no evidence that you do. Fine, you don't agree with it but say its your opinion as you have no basis to have a counterpoint. Its just your opinion. everyone has one.
Old 05-13-21, 01:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
But that date hasn't come. You don't provide evidence that the projections aren't going to come...you just dismiss it and provide no evidence that you do. Fine, you don't agree with it but say its your opinion as you have no basis to have a counterpoint. Its just your opinion. everyone has one.
No members opinion is fact. I dismiss it, because it has no manufacturer support. In other words, the claims of the study Will not be made by the end date

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-13-21 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-13-21, 01:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

perhaps you're overlooking home charging though (which in a lot of case means owners NEVER need to go to charging stations) or that charging at stations WILL get quicker. saying they will 'never' work for mass adoption seems to deny and future changes/improvements.

The upfront cost of battery electric cars is too expensive for most people.
in europe though, governments have offset a lot of that with huge subsidies, and never underestimate governments (or the market) making ICE cars more expensive to buy and own. the mach-e, id.4, model Y are all priced similar to a premium ICE cuv so they're not really out of reach.

Add in charging stations, and people who live in apartments, or people who just don’t wanna add chargers to the garage, and perhaps you can see how other people do not want to live with a charger
apartment dwellers won't want EVs until station charging is fast. as far as those "don't wanna add chargers to the garage", not i think you're just throwing up straw men since if you have an EV and a garage, you're going to want to put in a dryer outlet.

we're not there today, but it's all obviously evolving and improving RAPIDLY. is it for you? probably not. but sooner or later, it will become appealing to millions of new vehicle buyers.

Quick Reply: EV charging in the US is broken — can it be fixed?