EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

EV charging in the US is broken — can it be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-21, 01:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Somebody should develop a diesel generator to retrofit Teslas and other EVs, so people dont have to deal with charging.
Old 05-13-21, 01:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
perhaps you're overlooking home charging though (which in a lot of case means owners NEVER need to go to charging stations) or that charging at stations WILL get quicker. saying they will 'never' work for mass adoption seems to deny and future changes/improvements.

in europe though, governments have offset a lot of that with huge subsidies, and never underestimate governments (or the market) making ICE cars more expensive to buy and own. the mach-e, id.4, model Y are all priced similar to a premium ICE cuv so they're not really out of reach.

apartment dwellers won't want EVs until station charging is fast. as far as those "don't wanna add chargers to the garage", not i think you're just throwing up straw men since if you have an EV and a garage, you're going to want to put in a dryer outlet.

we're not there today, but it's all obviously evolving and improving RAPIDLY. is it for you? probably not. but sooner or later, it will become appealing to millions of new vehicle buyers.
All fair points. But cheaper battery electric cars compare to gas cars in 5 years...highly unlikely. 10 years? Maybe. 15 years? More likely. A total crash, of the auto industry of prices are too expensive Quite possibly

That study was just for Europe. Also has caveats which require government support incentives

The higher end $$ segments, cost parity will be sooner than later. The cheap entry level segment, it will take much longer or maybe never.

perhaps you're overlooking home charging though (which in a lot of case means owners NEVER need to go to charging stations) or that charging at stations WILL get quicker. saying they will 'never' work for mass adoption seems to deny and future changes/improvements.
Agree that many people will do the garage. But, there is only so much the electrical grid can handle. Plus, the road fees and taxes have yet to be applied. The demand of electricity will go up. Being green will just make everyone broke.

apartment dwellers won't want EVs until station charging is fast. as far as those "don't wanna add chargers to the garage", not i think you're just throwing up straw men since if you have an EV and a garage, you're going to want to put in a dryer outlet.
5 minute full charges? Never gonna happen.

I think 20% full battery EV adoption by 2030 is realistic

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-13-21 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-13-21, 02:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
All fair points. But cheaper battery electric cars compare to gas cars in 5 years...highly unlikely. 10 years? Maybe. 15 years? More likely. A total crash, of the auto industry of prices are too expensive Quite possibly
as i said, govt is likely to FORCE EVs to be cheaper than ICE cars in a few years, yes, probably less than 5. does that mean suddenly most people will be buying EVs? no.

and i didn't read whatever study was posted.

The higher end $$ segments, cost parity will be sooner than later. The cheap entry level segment, it will take much longer or maybe never.
about cheap cars, a lot of the market there is about new vs used. while cheap ICE cars will continue to be around, many will begin to look at buying a used EV instead of a new car, and as i've said, new ICE cars are likely to be increasingly taxed over time as a disincentive to buy them.

Agree that many people will do the garage. But, there is only so much the electrical grid can handle.
not worried about electricity production at all. garage users will be charging at night when electrical demand is usually at the minimum so no issue.
and with additional renewals coming on at a breakneck pace right now, we're going to have vast capacity.
and where you are, not worried about niagara falls not producing enough power, lol.

Plus, the road fees and taxes have yet to be applied. The demand of electricity will go up. Being green will just make everyone broke.
yes, yes, and not at all.

I think 20% full battery EV adoption by 2030 is realistic
on that i agree. it's going to be a slower ramp than greenies want.
Old 05-13-21, 02:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

on that i agree. it's going to be a slower ramp than greenies want.
Happy we agree. I follow bellwether companies quite often and see what they are doing or planning. . So in the automotive segment, I look at Mercedes, VW and Toyota and follow what they forecast. 50% of all Mercedes so they say will be a combination of BEV/hybrids in 2030. Toyota says worldwide that 70% of their sales will be BEV/FCEV/Plug in and hybrid in 2030. Toyota says they will sell 2 million BEV/FCEV in 2030. VW says 60% of cars in 2030 will be electric fully for Europe. Cost parity at that point, for some segments yes, but for the entry level stuff no.

Another massive bellweather company FedEx says that all purchases by 2030 will be EV...but FedEx is also very interested in Porsche E-fuel

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-13-21 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-13-21, 03:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,836 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Happy we agree. I follow bellwether companies quite often and see what they are doing or planning. . So in the automotive segment, I look at Mercedes, VW and Toyota and follow what they forecast.
Maybe you should follow more closely. Here's an example from 2015, there are many (stupid) statements by Toyota on the subject over the years some very recent.

Toyota says that electric cars won’t spread, despite faster charging stations

Toyota does not like battery-electric cars, and the world's largest carmaker isn't shy about that sentiment.

Through numerous ads and statements from its executives, the carmaker has repeatedly criticized the short ranges and long charging times of battery-electric vehicles.

Instead, Toyota suggests that hybrids—in which it leads the industry—and its upcoming 2016 Mirai hydrogen fuel-cell car will jointly be the right way to cut energy use.
Oops, EVs are by far the fastest growing segment. Toyota's crystal ball sucks, the Mirai is probably the biggest sales dud ever from them in the modern era.
Old 05-13-21, 03:50 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

This isn't Europe though, that's the thing. The government is basically in control of their lives.

Know how many Americans don't want EVs?
Old 05-13-21, 03:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123

Haha. At least 60%
Old 05-13-21, 03:58 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

This isn't Europe though, that's the thing. The government is basically in control of their lives.

About 34% aren't interested and 66% are. Lack of infrastructure is the main deterrent. If infrastructure was there, people would probably buy EVs in droves. Not everyone is married to V8 sounds, especially when a pedestrian EV is probably as fast but way more efficient.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/oilpric...icles.amp.html
Old 05-13-21, 04:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,836 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Toyota says they will sell 2 million BEVs in 2030 Tesla will do that next year, or maybe 2023 if things go sideways. Toyota is full of 💩 they are in for a world of hurt if they think in 9 years people will give a toss about a hybrid or FCEV. As for the thread title as demand goes up issues will be fixed.
Old 05-13-21, 04:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
About 34% aren't interested and 66% are. Lack of infrastructure is the main deterrent. If infrastructure was there, people would probably buy EVs in droves. Not everyone is married to V8 sounds, especially when a pedestrian EV is probably as fast but way more efficient.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/oilpric...icles.amp.html

"Today, only 1% of total search share on Cars.com is for EVs.
In the U.S., meanwhile, EV registrations fell by 6 percent, according to data from the Munich Mobility Show.
Article says that mass adoption is a decade away….I think I would take the word of major manufacturers over the authors.

These surveys are all nonsense. IMO
Old 05-13-21, 04:45 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Article says that mass adoption is a decade away….I think I would take the word of major manufacturers over the authors.

These surveys are all nonsense. IMO
Whats your definition of mass adoption? I believe EVs will be parity in terms of cost with ICE within 5 years. I also believe we won't see 30% penetration until 2030. These factors aren't necessarily dependent on each other.
Old 05-13-21, 05:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Whats your definition of mass adoption? I believe EVs will be parity in terms of cost with ICE within 5 years. I also believe we won't see 30% penetration until 2030. These factors aren't necessarily dependent on each other.
I think mass adoption will occur when the major manufactures hit about 40% of their sales are BEV, and 10%-15% are fuel cell...the rest hybrid/plug in.... The late majority are gonna be the hardest to convince....the laggards are probably never gonna support it. Right now the United States is not even in the early adopter stage (from a scholarly definition). I think China is.

somewhere around 2040.
Old 05-13-21, 07:24 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

the same number of those that refuse the vaccine?
Old 05-13-21, 07:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

I think mass adoption will occur when the major manufactures hit about 40% of their sales are BEV, and 10%-15% are fuel cell...the rest hybrid/plug in.... The late majority are gonna be the hardest to convince....the laggards are probably never gonna support it. Right now the United States is not even in the early adopter stage (from a scholarly definition). I think China is.

somewhere around 2040.
well one thing to consider is that many older drivers TODAY who wouldn't want an EV and can't see themselves in one will be DEAD by 2040 or sooner. Younger buyers will flock to them more and more. When i watched our own pbm317 (carsplain on youtube) video on the ID.4 i couldn't help but think THAT's going to be popular. It may not beat a model Y in 0-60 or maybe some other features, but it comes across as very normal, just silent.
Old 05-13-21, 11:55 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
the same number of those that refuse the vaccine?
What has that got to do with anything?

I like to tow boats, go off road, and drive from Knoxville to Rochester, NY in the middle of the night (when we stop ONCE for 5 minutes in Columbus for gas and bathroom break). An EV is not for me. I won't ever buy one. The stupid excuses people make for their glaring flaws....

I and most of my loved ones got the shots, though, since you brought it up. I have one anti-vax friend and neither of us bring it up.

Last edited by AJT123; 05-14-21 at 12:03 AM.

Quick Reply: EV charging in the US is broken — can it be fixed?