EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

F150 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-21, 09:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,251 Likes on 1,754 Posts

Originally Posted by MPalmer
As I mentioned in my Lightning video, I agree that anyone looking to do lots of long hauls and/or towing should stick with gas or diesel for now. That's not what this truck does best (acceleration, handling, backup power source, day trips, etc.)

But that's the interesting thing about trucks -- almost every owner uses them differently. Some are effectively family sedans with the capability for weekend projects, some are for off-roading adventures, some go to construction sites and sit all day, some tow and do long distances...

As one example, my Grandfather spent the last 35 years of his life doing what he loved -- working outdoors. He traded in and bought a new truck every two years, using them for his lawn care and handyman business. Building decks and fences. Siding and roofing houses. Painting. Yards of mulch scooped into the bed. Dump runs. Brush and debris removal. Mowing 14 lawns a week through his 80s.

And he never once towed because that wasn't part of his business or needs.

An EV truck, had it been available during his lifetime, would have been perfect for his type of truck ownership. Drive around all day in town -- well under 230 miles -- fully loaded. Work a full day. Plug it in at night. Rinse and repeat.

I'm not trying to say anyone NEEDS the Lightning, and I get that it's scary to see a massive industry change coming in the next 15 years. But I don't think companies are going to drop gas and diesel trucks on the same timeline and in the same way that, say, the Lexus IS sedan goes EV-only. Plus, even if new car gas engines (for not large trucks) go away by 2035, it's not like that's the end of the cycle. Folks will still have a century-plus worth of older vehicles on the road. And used gas vehicles will dominate the roadways for another decade beyond whatever line in the sand is drawn.

So that means the world has almost 25 years to make better EVs, create cleaner batteries, and build infrastructure... which is a massive amount of time for the government and private sector to make changes. On that timeline, 25 years ago, "fast" American cars were just starting to pass 300hp, Lexus hadn't released the RX in the states, and people still bought actual ars (not crossovers or SUVs). Today, you can buy an 800hp sedan from Dodge, a 760hp Mustang, the RX is the number one Lexus vehicle of all time, and sedans are all but gone.

What comes next? We're in for some interesting times!
That's the point I've always tried to hammer in...ICE vehicles are not going away. Not in a long time. A full on switch will take at least another 20 years. Also as you stated, for things like heavy duty towing and long distance hauling, gasoline/diesel is still the best option. EV's make the most sense at this point for those who have access to charging at home or nearby charging stations. Now what will probably be going away is the bigger displacement engines replaced by downsized turbocharged and hybrid
Old 12-16-21, 10:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Check your numbers... But I get your point.
uh, 5 x 20k is 100k, no?

Originally Posted by AJT123
Right. Nobody gets to tell anyone what they should drive. At least not in this country. Anyone who tells me I don't need a truck, it's none of your business anyway lol.
without getting political, govts at all level influence (taxes, credits), regulate (permits, rules, laws), require or ban things all the time. if one day there's a sizeable ICE truck tax, it would have an impact on the market.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That's the point I've always tried to hammer in...ICE vehicles are not going away. Not in a long time. A full on switch will take at least another 20 years. Also as you stated, for things like heavy duty towing and long distance hauling, gasoline/diesel is still the best option. EV's make the most sense at this point for those who have access to charging at home or nearby charging stations. Now what will probably be going away is the bigger displacement engines replaced by downsized turbocharged and hybrid
great post and agreed on all points.

Old 12-16-21, 12:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
without getting political, govts at all level influence (taxes, credits), regulate (permits, rules, laws), require or ban things all the time. if one day there's a sizeable ICE truck tax, it would have an impact on the market.
You know what I mean.

great post and agreed on all points.
Yes, AMZIRA, agreed. It's nice to see an EV owner/fan who has a realistic POV on the future of them and ICE.
Old 12-16-21, 12:27 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

uh, 5 x 20k is 100k, no?
20K is wrong. Ford intends on ramping to 80K within 2 years, I believe. 160K by 2025.
Demand is beyond their wildest dreams and likely to grow.

But yes, even if a bunch of their reservations pull out, they are sold out for quite some time.
Old 12-16-21, 12:31 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

That's a great point about hybrid trucks. I bet we see a bunch of those in the future... there's a slight reduction in max tow capacity (similar to adding options like 4x4 -- it's about the overall truck weight)... but you get a huge torque boost, and get to keep the long haul driving and quick fillups.

It's not a SuperDuty, but the F-150 PowerBoost is awesome -- https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...ter-than-ever/ -- Note that I did NOT tow with it, but it was a beast 0-60, and got almost 20mpg (despite off-roading and lots of 0-60 testing... you know, for science). A lightfooted driver could probably do a lot better.

Now imagine a version of that system on the 7.3 gasser or 6.7 diesel and it could really improve fuel economy without adding too much complexity.
Old 12-16-21, 12:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

20K is wrong. Ford intends on ramping to 80K within 2 years, I believe. 160K by 2025.

But yes, even if a bunch of their reservations pull out, they are sold out for quite some time.
The Ford Dealer just called me today asking me if I wanted to turn my Pre-order into an Order. He told me delivery would be mid to Fall 2022. I told him to give me a couple of days to think on it, because once I commit, I have to buy, meaning any deposit I put on the actual order would be forfeited if I pull out
Old 12-16-21, 12:52 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

The Ford Dealer just called me today asking me if I wanted to turn my Pre-order into an Order. He told me delivery would be mid to Fall 2022. I told him to give me a couple of days to think on it, because once I commit, I have to buy, meaning any deposit I put on the actual order would be forfeited if I pull out
Tonnnnns of people are going to say no when they actually have to spend money on it, and the overinflated # headline grabber strategy will have worked.
Old 12-16-21, 12:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPalmer
That's a great point about hybrid trucks. I bet we see a bunch of those in the future... there's a slight reduction in max tow capacity (similar to adding options like 4x4 -- it's about the overall truck weight)... but you get a huge torque boost, and get to keep the long haul driving and quick fillups.

It's not a SuperDuty, but the F-150 PowerBoost is awesome -- https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...ter-than-ever/ -- Note that I did NOT tow with it, but it was a beast 0-60, and got almost 20mpg (despite off-roading and lots of 0-60 testing... you know, for science). A lightfooted driver could probably do a lot better.

Now imagine a version of that system on the 7.3 gasser or 6.7 diesel and it could really improve fuel economy without adding too much complexity.
Definitely Hybrid is part of the future for trucks. Alex on Autos did an excellent review of the Ford F-150 Powerboost, it's very good at acting as a generator for power tools, equipment etc. Because the engine shuts off, it saved on gas over his own generator, as it continues to deliver power while the engine is not running. It also has a ton of torque for towing as he demonstrated
Old 12-16-21, 12:57 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Tonnnnns of people are going to say no when they actually have to spend money on it, and the overinflated # headline grabber strategy will have worked.
Actually I still want it, but I just leased the PoleStar, I was thinking I would just hold on to my Sienna for one more year as I was thinking the F-150 won't actually be available for delivery until 2023. The price is actually not bad, the one I want is in the $50K range, that is unless they decide to jack up the price later
Old 12-16-21, 01:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

my 20k was not based on any facts. my point was, ford could well reasonably choose to stop taking any further reservations for now if they see there's enough already made to account for several years of production.

but as AMIRZA786 just learned, ford is now trying to get people to commit, which i smart, and flush out those who aren't really serious.
Old 12-16-21, 01:06 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

my 20k was not based on any facts. my point was, ford could well reasonably choose to stop taking any further reservations for now if they see there's enough already made to account for several years of production.

but as AMIRZA786 just learned, ford is now trying to get people to commit, which i smart, and flush out those who aren't really serious.
Yep, that's smart on their part. My thinking was the "commit" part would be next year, but looks like it will actually be delivered mid to next Fall. I'm probably going to follow through, as if I wait, I may not get one for a few years to come
Old 12-16-21, 01:38 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Yep, that's smart on their part. My thinking was the "commit" part would be next year, but looks like it will actually be delivered mid to next Fall. I'm probably going to follow through, as if I wait, I may not get one for a few years to come
You could probably flip it and make a profit. I'd take deliver of it no matter what. Also, the truck is going to sell like gangbusters. Many people want to own a truck for light duty work around the house and also as a family car. Its a RARE day i see a truck towing anything...ever. A lot of people will find it compelling as it gets 75 MPGe vs. the terrible gas mileage that you see on those V8s.
Old 12-16-21, 01:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
You could probably flip it and make a profit. I'd take deliver of it no matter what. Also, the truck is going to sell like gangbusters. Many people want to own a truck for light duty work around the house and also as a family car. Its a RARE day i see a truck towing anything...ever. A lot of people will find it compelling as it gets 75 MPGe vs. the terrible gas mileage that you see on those V8s.
I agree, I'm probably not going to be able to get my hands on one for a few years if I pass this opportunity up
Old 12-20-21, 03:52 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 805 Likes on 562 Posts

https://www.engadget.com/ford-f-150-...092329022.html

Lightning battery sizes - 98 kWh standard range (230 miles/charge) and 131 kWh (300 miles/charge)

Basically the same as the Rivian R1T that gets 316 out of the 135 kWh in the standard trim.
Old 12-20-21, 03:34 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 723 Likes on 452 Posts

The order bank doesn't open until next month, they can't place any orders yet. And they will only have a very limited number of priority reservations which will go to customers who have bought a lot from them. The priorities for the other reservations isn't yet clear. So chances are there are some crossed wires here.

Quick Reply: F150 Lightning