EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

F150 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-22, 04:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
No, the Ford dealerships sued them into not separating the two. Ford corporate does want Lincoln to have separate showrooms.

https://www.autonews.com/dealers/nj-...-store-program
We are arguing the same point. The NJ DEALER ASSOCIATION sued, not Ford corporate. Of course the dealer's don't want to have to build additional dealerships. Thats what I meant when I said "it doesnt make sense for them to", the "them" I was referring to were the dealers.

Before Lincoln went down the tubes, in the 70s, 80s and 90s there were absolutely stand alone Lincoln dealers. Trust me, my Dad drove Linclons.

Same story with Hyundai dealers and Genesis.

https://motorillustrated.com/genesis...owrooms/55958/
Again, this is the dealers association not Hyundai who doesnt want separate dealers.
Old 01-09-22, 05:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

For the American brands like Ford or Lincoln, it is in their best interest to be a split Ford/Lincoln shop. There is no difference between stocking a Expedition or Navigator. Dealer wins big as they have more product to shop and mark up as well as service. Lots of people are gonna naturally cross shop the two brands anyway.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-09-22 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-09-22, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
For the American brands like Ford or Lincoln, it is in their best interest to be a split Ford/Lincoln shop. There is no difference between stocking a Expedition or Navigator. Dealer wins big as they have more product to shop and mark up as well as service. Lots of people are gonna naturally cross shop the two brands anyway.
The only difference is its much harder to provide the customer with a luxury experience in a split dealer. Although I will say Lincoln does it pretty well. They have separate sales staff and management and Lincoln dedicated areas within the dealership. The dealers I have been to have been very good and the staff treated me the way I would expect to be treated at a luxury car dealer. Hyundai/Genesis...not as much
Old 01-09-22, 05:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
and that's exactly where the conflict comes between dealer's short-sighted cost efficiencies, and a manufacturer's branding separation goals. when that raucus mustang GT comes in or peels out with the driver shouting YEE HAW out the window while the salesperson who's a potential customer a top of the line expedition, kind of takes the shine off the experience.
Old 01-09-22, 05:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The only difference is its much harder to provide the customer with a luxury experience in a split dealer. Although I will say Lincoln does it pretty well. They have separate sales staff and management and Lincoln dedicated areas within the dealership. The dealers I have been to have been very good and the staff treated me the way I would expect to be treated at a luxury car dealer. Hyundai/Genesis...not as much
If it is done right, it can be done. Ford and Lincoln go hand in hand as Lincoln is a step up from Ford. Most of theirs products can be easily compared to each other.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and that's exactly where the conflict comes between dealer's short-sighted cost efficiencies, and a manufacturer's branding separation goals. when that raucus mustang GT comes in or peels out with the driver shouting YEE HAW out the window while the salesperson who's a potential customer a top of the line expedition, kind of takes the shine off the experience.
It just depends on the brand. A Lincoln really is just a high end Ford. A Lexus truly is high end Toyota. A Mercedes in America is a very high end Mercedes and you just don’t see the really really cheap stuff from MB like you would in Germany or some parts of Europe

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-09-22 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-09-22, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

The only difference is its much harder to provide the customer with a luxury experience in a split dealer. Although I will say Lincoln does it pretty well. They have separate sales staff and management and Lincoln dedicated areas within the dealership.
Based on what I've seen here in the Virginia D.C. suburbs, correct, I'll agree, although that seems to be more the case with the much larger and nicer Ted Britt Ford/Lincoln dealership in that big Chantilly complex than the smaller/older Ourisman Ford/Lincoln in Alexandria. Ted Britt has the advantage of a much newer/larger building and facilities.

Before Lincoln went down the tubes, in the 70s, 80s and 90s there were absolutely stand alone Lincoln dealers. Trust me, my Dad drove Linclons.
From what I remember and saw, at least in this area, most if not all of the Lincoln shops were combined with Mercury, and used the logo of the cat. Me and my ex-Flight Instructor bought a new Town Car at one of them (Cherner at Tysons) for his limo-company (he started driving limos after his flight-career), and, with my late Mom, for a small Mercury Tracer for her.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-09-22 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-10-22, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Based on what I've seen here in the Virginia D.C. suburbs, correct, I'll agree, although that seems to be more the case with the much larger and nicer Ted Britt Ford/Lincoln dealership in that big Chantilly complex than the smaller/older Ourisman Ford/Lincoln in Alexandria. Ted Britt has the advantage of a much newer/larger building and facilities.
Even the smaller Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg does a good job of having dedicated Lincoln staff and space.
Old 01-10-22, 04:17 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 508 Likes on 441 Posts

We are arguing the same point. The NJ DEALER ASSOCIATION sued, not Ford corporate. Of course the dealer's don't want to have to build additional dealerships. Thats what I meant when I said "it doesnt make sense for them to", the "them" I was referring to were the dealers.

Been hooked w/ Mercury's at least from the early sixties.....One of my uncles used to work at a Cleveland L/M dealership & his demo was a Dan Gurney special (the blue/white) one. I was tech at a L/M dealership in the late '80's thru ;01....''At the sign of the Cat''......

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-10-22 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-10-22, 04:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Kia dealer where I bought my 2015 Sedona used to be a Lincoln/Mercury dealer. They basically didn't redo it, still had the old brass chandelier in the showroom, and the parts department still had all the Lincoln posters and all. They just finally renovated it.
Old 01-20-22, 12:04 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 723 Likes on 452 Posts

Looks like I was one of the lucky ones. I just received my invitation from Ford to place my order.
Old 01-20-22, 12:39 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Looks like I was one of the lucky ones. I just received my invitation from Ford to place my order.
Nice! Spec it up to the max

Are you considering the Silverado also?
Old 01-20-22, 01:32 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
Nice! Spec it up to the max

Are you considering the Silverado also?
Hoping to do just that! Will report back. I hadn't really looked at the Silverado. I do need to do that. With that said, it looks like there's a possible path to a Lightning reasonably soon, it would likely be well into next year before I'd have a shot at a Silverado with all the pre orders ahead of us. My Lightning reservation went right as soon as the site opened.
Old 01-21-22, 10:08 AM
swajames
Pole Position

I've ordered the F-150 Lightning Platinum. Some possible oddities, though. One one screen it suggested that Lightning allocations were sold out, but it continued the process and took payment for my additional deposit and Ford have sent me the order confirmation.
Old 01-21-22, 10:12 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I've ordered the F-150 Lightning Platinum. Some possible oddities, though. One one screen it suggested that Lightning allocations were sold out, but it continued the process and took payment for my additional deposit and Ford have sent me the order confirmation.
Congrats, you are one of the lucky ones. I haven't received anything from Ford yet, even the dealer hasn't called me back
Old 01-21-22, 10:16 AM
swajames
Pole Position

I’m fully expecting this to end up with quite a long delay.

But for now all looks good. I looks like I did get lucky. When did you make your reservation?

Quick Reply: F150 Lightning