EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

F150 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-22, 11:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The 0 to 60 times don't really matter, especially when it comes to a pickup, but does everyone notice how the detractors can't even get themselves to acknowledge anything positive about the Lightning? Suddenly they need something that hauls yachts (you know, the ones in their backyards they need to move everyday), can carry a 10K load, can go 1000 miles without stopping and has to be able to fully recharge in 2 minutes and 20 seconds. You know, the usual thing most trucks can do that never sees anything but the occasional beer cooler in the bed
I hope you are not referring to me. As I stated before, I really like it and think Ford did an excellent job, it just wouldn't work for my needs. It's like any vehicle - some cars/trucks meet your individual needs better than others. Same story here. Works for some, but not others. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. If I were in the market for a new truck, and didn't tow, I would absolutely consider this.
Old 05-11-22, 11:27 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 723 Likes on 452 Posts

The 0 to 60 times don't really matter, especially when it comes to a pickup, but does everyone notice how the detractors can't even get themselves to acknowledge anything positive about the Lightning? Suddenly they need something that hauls yachts (you know, the ones in their backyards they need to move everyday), can carry a 10K load, can go 1000 miles without stopping and has to be able to fully recharge in 2 minutes and 20 seconds. You know, the usual thing most trucks can do that never sees anything but the occasional beer cooler in the bed
Absolutely spot on...!
Old 05-11-22, 11:32 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Alex on Auto just released his review, I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but he generally does very detailed reviews including testing everything from mileage to recharge times
I agree, he does do great work but I don't think he drives them long enough to get an accurate reading on what kind of range he gets. Could be wrong

Originally Posted by swajames
Something of a distinction without a difference to someone who wouldn't be getting one anyway, wouldn't you think?
Of course I wouldn't be getting one. I'm not a truck guy in the least. Combine that with my aversion to EV's (at least for now) and there is 100% chance I won't be getting one. However, instead of everyone rushing to buy one of these, what happens if people were expecting big range with fast charging times but it's the opposite? Lots of disappointment and people wishing they didn't rush into something like this.
Old 05-11-22, 11:37 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
I agree, he does do great work but I don't think he drives them long enough to get an accurate reading on what kind of range he gets. Could be wrong

Of course I wouldn't be getting one. I'm not a truck guy in the least. Combine that with my aversion to EV's (at least for now) and there is 100% chance I won't be getting one. However, instead of everyone rushing to buy one of these, what happens if people were expecting big range with fast charging times but it's the opposite? Lots of disappointment and people wishing they didn't rush into something like this.
Keep in mind that Ford's Mustang Mach E is getting much better than its EPA estimate because of their 2 cycle test procedure. I expect the lightning to get better than EPA also.
Old 05-11-22, 11:37 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I think the focus on charging times is overblown for a lot of people. For me, it would only matter if I was on a road trip, but I would just take one of my gas vehicles for that anyway. Unless I'm on a trip, I never drive 200 or more miles in a day. Each evening I'd just put it in the garage and plug it in. It would be ready for me in the morning. It wouldn't matter to me if it took one hour or 8 hours to recharge. Different of course if you have to rely on public chargers.
Old 05-11-22, 11:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,251 Likes on 1,754 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I hope you are not referring to me. As I stated before, I really like it and think Ford did an excellent job, it just wouldn't work for my needs. It's like any vehicle - some cars/trucks meet your individual needs better than others. Same story here. Works for some, but not others. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. If I were in the market for a new truck, and didn't tow, I would absolutely consider this.
Absolutely not 😊. I can promise you are not even remotely attached or referenced in my comments
Old 05-11-22, 11:45 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
He's referring to people like me who are used to gas stations all over the place, spending 2 minutes there and having a 500 mile range. I'm sure EV's will get there but it'll take a while.
Old 05-11-22, 11:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz

He actually does review them while keeping them for a few weeks. He also buys them. In this case he had to go to San Antonio to review it, but he will eventually get a long term one for review
Old 05-11-22, 12:39 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Lol. This thing will outsell the TRX by many many magnitudes. Pre-orders are over 100k already and it was cut off.
This can't do what even a 3.5TT F150 can do, for 2x the price. A tuned 3.5 will even tie this to 60 and still be useful for towing and actual work.
Old 05-11-22, 12:41 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

How many people modify their work trucks? I did specifically mentioned stock. And it can haul 1,400 lbs and go 300 miles with that load, and supports fast charging. It's Fords first gen EV truck built for light to medium duty work. F-150 is the most popular truck here, and do you know how many people use it for heavy duty hauling? 99 percent I see on the road have an empty, clean as a whistle truck bed. For people like me and people who do basic hauling, camping etc and for people who go from construction site to construction site, it's the perfect truck with tons of cab room and a humongous Frunk that can hold 400 lbs. It does 0 to 60 in 4.1 seconds, goes 300 plus miles on a full charge, supports fast charging and best of all, get around 85 MPG. And it's pretty inexpensive starting out at $39K, the long range model which I would buy is $55K, and that's before the $7500 fed tax credit and $750 from the state of California
Every guy I know who uses a truck for work has it tuned, all the diesel guys day one remove EGR, DPF, and tune it as well. Costs them less for fuel, easier to tow with, and more reliable than stock.

Only the top model gets mid 4s and costs way too much for a F150

This is pointless unless you are just buying for status/cred. It not only fails to give you anything new/better but it actually loses functionality vs a normal truck. List of what this can do is simply shorter, end of story.

Last edited by Striker223; 05-11-22 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-11-22, 12:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Every guy I know who uses a truck for work has it tuned, all the diesel guys day one remove EGR, DPF, and tune it as well. Costs them less for fuel, easier to tow with, and more reliable than stock.

Only the top model gets mid 4s and costs way too much for a F150
You live around a different crowd. In general, most people don't modify their car or truck engines. Here this is generally done by a small number of enthusiasts who either track their cars or display them at organized car shows/meets, or very young people. I can show you all the pics of my neighbors trucks, 90 percent never see a day of hauling anything other than a Home depot run or occasional camping gear. Also that is 100 percent incorrect, the Long Range version with extended battery which I current have on Pre-order (I haven't cancelled yet) is $54K, it has a 300 mile range, Dual motors, 563 HP/775 ft-lbs torque and has been reported by several reviewers already to do 0 to 60 in 4 seconds flat. Even pre $7500 tax rebate that's an excellent price and is pretty competitive with it's "lesser" gasoline engined siblings

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
F-150_Lightning_Tech_Specs.pdf (592.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-11-22 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-11-22, 01:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

You live around a different crowd. In general, most people don't modify their car or truck engines. Here this is generally done by a small number of enthusiasts who either track their cars or display them at organized car shows/meets, or very young people. I can show you all the pics of my neighbors trucks, 90 percent never see a day of hauling anything other than a Home depot run or occasional camping gear. Also that is 100 percent incorrect, the Long Range version with extended battery which I current have on Pre-order (I haven't cancelled yet) is $54K, it has a 300 mile range, Dual motors, 563 HP/775 ft-lbs torque and has been reported by several reviewers already to do 0 to 60 in 4 seconds flat. Even pre $7500 tax rebate that's an excellent price and is pretty competitive with it's "lesser" gasoline engined siblings

You live in a Cali suburb correct? Ever go to an oil field? Or rail yard? Or an hour out of the city?

It's extremely different than people who buy a truck just to have a truck. For every hour it's not up these guys lose $150-250

It's still way too expensive at 54k

Last edited by Striker223; 05-11-22 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-11-22, 01:22 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You live in a Cali suburb correct? Ever go to an oil field? Or rail yard? Or an hour out of the city?

It's extremely different than people who buy a truck just to have a truck. For every hour it's not up these guys lose $150-250
I get that bro, and this truck may or may not be for them depending on their needs. But if they can afford a new F-150, they could afford this as well. And yes, my cousin owns a construction company and lives in rural Exeter near Visalia, CA (Google it, it's a rural as you can get) and this truck would definitely not meet his needs, in fact most gasoline trucks don't, he only uses the heavy duty RAM diesels because him and his crew haul road construction equipment like trackers and other heavy equipment. But for the average pickup truck owner, there would be no reason not to want this truck other than brand preference

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-11-22 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-11-22, 01:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I get that bro, and this truck may or may not be for them depending on their needs. But if they can afford a new F-150, they could afford this as well. And yes, my cousin owns a construction company and lives in rural Exeter near Visalia, CA (Google it, it's a rural as you can get) and this truck would definitely not meet his needs, in fact most gasoline trucks don't, he only uses the heavy duty RAM diesels because him and his crew haul road construction equipment like trackers and other heavy equipment. But for the average pickup truck owner, there would be no reason not to want this truck other than brand preference
The other real issue here is a truck in normal guise is a true single vehicle solution to ANY need. This removes the ability to have one, single car that can do literally anything you might need.

You yourself have backup ICE cars.....most are not like us with multiple cars with spares in some cases. A lot of people share 1 among 2-3 people
Old 05-11-22, 01:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The other real issue here is a truck in normal guise is a true single vehicle solution to ANY need. This removes the ability to have one, single car that can do literally anything you might need.

You yourself have backup ICE cars.....most are not like us with multiple cars with spares in some cases. A lot of people share 1 among 2-3 people
But I don't need those ICE cars, they are mostly parked. I could live 100 percent without an ICE. I only have them because 1) God forbid if one of us gets into an accident and the car is totalled, good luck buying another one and 2) My Sienna still has another 10 years in her. It would be a complete waste of money to replace a perfectly good useful car with a new one.

BTW F-150 Lightning does everything an F-150 ICE does. To the T. It just doesn't have a conventional engine. Watch the review I posted

Quick Reply: F150 Lightning