EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

F150 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-22, 05:59 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 723 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
70% go off roading once or less. only 30% do it more than once. The majority don't go off roading...more like going shopping in suburbia.
To add to this, the article suggested that 75% tow "one time per year or less", and that 70% go off road "one time per year or less". We can be reasonably sure that many of these responses were, in fact, in the "or less" category - in other words, never. The survey wording gave an out to those customers, likely the majority, who get these because of what they can do, not necessarily what they will do. As evidenced by the fact that even in the best case scenario, the survey data indicated that the vast majority of owners would tow or go off road just once per year. That was, of course, the entire point of the article, and the reason for the cowboy costume reference.

No one knows the truck market as well as Ford, because they sell more of them than any other competitor. They built what actual customers want.
Old 05-11-22, 06:04 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
To add to this, the article suggested that 75% tow "one time per year or less", and that 70% go off road "one time per year or less". We can be reasonably sure that many of these responses were, in fact, in the "or less" category - in other words, never. The survey wording gave an out to those customers, likely the majority, who get these because of what they can do, not necessarily what they will do. As evidenced by the fact that even in the best case scenario, the survey data indicated that the vast majority of owners would tow or go off road just once per year. That was, of course, the entire point of the article, and the reason for the cowboy costume reference.

No one knows the truck market as well as Ford, because they sell more of them than any other competitor. They built what actual customers want.
EXACTLY. The Lightning meets the needs of majority of owners with the highly efficient, highly powerful EV drivetrain. People are going to LOVE this truck.
Old 05-11-22, 06:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You are probably right, but we have a ton of superchargers, and heck, I'm adventurous. That is if I'm not really tired and want to get home. But the most I would be "towing" is stuff from Costco or Home depot
Oh yeah lol, I want to see you pull into a supercharger with a 28 ft trailer like mine, lol. This is going to be a brave new world with the addition of trucks and trailers at the charger stations for EV folks who use them .

I get anxious just pulling in to the fuel pumps to get diesel when towing this thing. I suspect many charging locations are going to be tough to use with a trailer.
Old 05-11-22, 06:16 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 05-11-22, 06:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,251 Likes on 1,754 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Oh yeah lol, I want to see you pull into a supercharger with a 28 ft trailer like mine, lol. This is going to be a brave new world with the addition of trucks and trailers at the charger stations for EV folks who use them .

I get anxious just pulling in to the fuel pumps to get diesel when towing this thing. I suspect many charging locations are going to be tough to use with a trailer.
LOL yep, wouldn't want to pull into a supercharger with one of those. Although where Ford places the charging port, you wouldn't have to back in. But yeah, I see where you are coming from
Old 05-11-22, 06:40 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 723 Likes on 452 Posts

I think what this thread really shows is how unfair of Ford it was to build something that only met most customers' needs most of the time.

What about people who might have a slightly different use case? What are they going to do?

If only other manufacturers made trucks with different powerplants. That would probably solve the problem. I wonder why no one else seems to have thought of that.
Old 05-11-22, 07:56 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Not really. Overall my Pacifica gets 17 MPG, my LS460s were 16 MPG or so. They do better on the highway sure but overall driving in a modern 1/2 ton pickup 15 is very good.

Lifetime MPG on my S560 is 19.6...
Damn. Lots of low speed? I have similar cars and get about 50% more than you so it has to be stop and go or something....
Old 05-11-22, 07:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Depends on how far you have to drive to camp.

You don't realize how much battery capacity something like this has for uses such as running lights or a refrigerator or something like that. This will power your home for 3 days at 30 kwh a day, which is the average usage in the US. I'm a HEAVY power user, my home uses about 60 KWH a day, so it can power my home at full use for 36 hours. A full refrigerator uses about 1.23 KWH per day. Powering some lights, a mini fridge and a speaker system is no problem.
You are probably right it would be fine when just running small stuff....however it would not be able to back my house up at all.

My house uses 8k watts normally per hour in the daytime with AC.....parents place is 17k per hour. They have a 400 amp service....

I think they use like 420-480 KWH a day yearly average and I know I'm at around 210-250. My backup gen is a 22kw and it is usually at 50% load or more when I test it.
Old 05-11-22, 08:52 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
You are probably right it would be fine when just running small stuff....however it would not be able to back my house up at all.

My house uses 8k watts normally per hour in the daytime with AC.....parents place is 17k per hour. They have a 400 amp service....

I think they use like 420-480 KWH a day yearly average and I know I'm at around 210-250. My backup gen is a 22kw and it is usually at 50% load or more when I test it.
So you use 164 MWH of energy per year? The average US home uses 29 kWh per day vs. your parents 450kWH per day. If the average home is 2000 sq/ft then this implies your parents live in a 31k sq/foot mansion...
Old 05-11-22, 09:02 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
LOL yep, wouldn't want to pull into a supercharger with one of those. Although where Ford places the charging port, you wouldn't have to back in. But yeah, I see where you are coming from
They gonna have to have a place for you to unhitch and park whatever you are towing and then go charge with the truck.
Old 05-12-22, 08:03 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Holy cow! I've never seen anyone use so much electricity! My house, at 2400 square feet, averaged 24 KWh per day last month, which was less than 700 KWh for the entire month!
Old 05-12-22, 08:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Damn. Lots of low speed? I have similar cars and get about 50% more than you so it has to be stop and go or something....
Its where we live. We live in an urban/suburban area and there is lots of traffic light to traffic light suburban driving.

Thats insane lol. How much is your electric bill?! What are you/they doing in your houses?
Old 05-12-22, 08:17 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Its where we live. We live in an urban/suburban area and there is lots of traffic light to traffic light suburban driving.

Thats insane lol. How much is your electric bill?! What are you/they doing in your houses?
Its about $45 a day if his utility was cheap. So about $16k a year. Must be running a large hadron collider in his backyard or something...
Old 05-12-22, 08:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,251 Likes on 1,754 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Holy cow! I've never seen anyone use so much electricity! My house, at 2400 square feet, averaged 24 KWh per day last month, which was less than 700 KWh for the entire month!
I was going to ask the same thing. In the summer with AC and charging two EV'S every night, the max we used was 46 kWh. Ok, tell me what you guys are growing besides corn
Old 05-12-22, 09:51 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
So you use 164 MWH of energy per year? The average US home uses 29 kWh per day vs. your parents 450kWH per day. If the average home is 2000 sq/ft then this implies your parents live in a 31k sq/foot mansion...
I'll recheck the figures but I know for a fact it's really high since the solar array we made had to have twin 15k watt Solarcs and they still can't run everything all at once. They also gave 75 460w panels and 12 5.5KWH batteries just to make it through a night. Their house is 7.2k sq ft.

Base load is 8k watts per panel over there so 16k watts hour. We also have a lot of power drinking stuff we run, the computers alone each take 850-1200 watts when in use and they have 4 of them. Server blade takes the same

I rechecked and that's peak that I used to size stuff. Average is 85kwh for me and 125kwh for them but two year peak usage was the high figures I linked. I used the worst case scenario figures to size the solar so in winter with really bad performance the system can still carry the place 100% on its own for two full days.

My HOA doesn't allow solar so I was forced to use a gas generator, in theory my house is fine as long as I get gas flow.....if I lose it then I lose heat/hot water and the generator. Their place has a geothermal system so all they need is power, but a lot of it.....both houses are nearly all electric for everything else but I've already run a gas line to the laundry room and kitchen since I'm debating converting to gas there since it would cost less than 1/4 to run.

Last edited by Striker223; 05-12-22 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: F150 Lightning