EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

F150 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-22, 12:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You couldn’t buy one before. You could only reserve one (refundable). It’s just marketing. I think Lexus does the same thing for the new NX. A wait list is a better saying.
AMIRZA above is right...they will sell every one of these they make, so the price is clearly fine.
Old 05-14-22, 12:26 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

The purchase price is still too much. I get what you are saying, but people are not gonna pay MORE for a vehicle in place of no gas.
Combine the increasing popularity of big giant 4-door trucks with increasing gas prices and the government pushing EV's down our throats and customers will pay anything. As long as they can have their truck.
Old 05-14-22, 12:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,251 Likes on 1,754 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Combine the increasing popularity of big giant 4-door trucks with increasing gas prices and the government pushing EV's down our throats and customers will pay anything. As long as they can have their truck.
You clearly don't understand EV buyers. Nobody pushed me to buy one. Nobody is ever, ever telling me what to buy. I make my choices on what's best for me and family, and what I like. It's the same for anyone who buys an EV. Most are affluent and have an abundance of choices when it comes to buying cars. We chose them because to be frank, they are just better. If you had the choice (and yes, it's a choice) between 2 cars, one of them drives better, is smoother, has more power, rarely needs maintenance and it may be slightly more expensive but costs less in the long run, wouldn't you buy that car? I would in a heartbeat, and it's not because someone is forcing me. In fact you guys are the ones not exhibiting free will because your willfully allowing misinformation to guide your decisions, which is frankly pretty sad

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-14-22 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-14-22, 03:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah people who buy EVs don't feel "pushed" to buy them lol
Old 05-14-22, 04:35 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You clearly don't understand EV buyers. Nobody pushed me to buy one. Nobody is ever, ever telling me what to buy. I make my choices on what's best for me and family, and what I like. It's the same for anyone who buys an EV. Most are affluent and have an abundance of choices when it comes to buying cars. We chose them because to be frank, they are just better. If you had the choice (and yes, it's a choice) between 2 cars, one of them drives better, is smoother, has more power, rarely needs maintenance and it may be slightly more expensive but costs less in the long run, wouldn't you buy that car? I would in a heartbeat, and it's not because someone is forcing me. In fact you guys are the ones not exhibiting free will because your willfully allowing misinformation to guide your decisions, which is frankly pretty sad
No kidding. No one is forcing anyone to buy a Tesla and they have a 9 month waitlist and selll everything they make and have the largest margins in the industry to boot. They also haven't had incentives in 2 years. You can't find an Ioniq 5 in any dealers in california. Go to inventory and you see them there and you call and they tell you those are already spoken for. Same with the Mach E and Kia EV6. EVs are growing rapidly and the only thing slowing them down is lack of battery supply.
Old 05-14-22, 05:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
No kidding. No one is forcing anyone to buy a Tesla and they have a 9 month waitlist and selll everything they make and have the largest margins in the industry to boot. They also haven't had incentives in 2 years. You can't find an Ioniq 5 in any dealers in california. Go to inventory and you see them there and you call and they tell you those are already spoken for. Same with the Mach E and Kia EV6. EVs are growing rapidly and the only thing slowing them down is lack of battery supply.
I cross shopped between my Polestar and a 2021 IS350 F-Sport, both cars were similarly priced, but the Polestar 2 has better performance, AWD, better driving dynamics, quieter, very little maintenance requirements, and overall cheaper "fueling" requirements. Had I bought the 2021 IS350, I would have most certainly had to of sold or traded in my current 2010 IS350 to cover for the extra $400 per month cost of fuel and maintenance.

It's the same in comparison if someone buys the standard F-150 vs the Lightning. Lightning will be better and cheaper in the long run
Old 05-14-22, 07:01 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

The purchase price is still too much. I get what you are saying, but people are not gonna pay MORE for a vehicle in place of no gas.
Yeah they will. Companies know they can charge this since people are already paying at least a certain amount to operate. There is no such thing as cheaper when you move into new tech lol!
Old 05-15-22, 08:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And its ridiculous to say "people won't pay something" when they already clearly are.

Its like when people say Disney World has gotten too expensive. Well...its filled to capacity...so...its clearly not too expensive.
Old 05-15-22, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Nobody is ever, ever telling me what to buy.
That sometimes depends, at least indirectly if not directly, on the automaker. You may want something, and the automakers simply don't build it, won't build it, or (as with a number of sedans) once built it and then dropped it. So, that means either deciding on something else brand-new or going to the used-vehicle market.
Old 05-15-22, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
EVs are growing rapidly and the only thing slowing them down is lack of battery supply.
EVs, though, are growing mostly because of a subject that we cannot openly discuss on CL....governmental/political agendas on the environment.

I say "mostly" because, of course, there are other reasons as well, such as simpler, less-maintenance drive trains, low levels of engine noise, instant torque, and not having to deal with gas stations and the constantly-changing price of gasoline. But the main driver of the growing EV craze is clearly environmental.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-15-22 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Political commentary
Old 05-15-22, 06:45 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
EVs, though, are growing mostly because of a subject that we cannot openly discuss on CL....governmental/political agendas on the environment.

I say "mostly" because, of course, there are other reasons as well, such as simpler, less-maintenance drive trains, low levels of engine noise, instant torque, and not having to deal with gas stations and the constantly-changing price of gasoline. But the main driver of the growing EV craze is clearly environmental.
Completely no. The number 1 reason wasn't incentives driving growth so your assertion is complete wrong. It's all the other reasons you mentioned driving growth. Incentives are only a small part of the reason.
Old 05-15-22, 07:15 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

It's the government telling us they're going to be number 1, so that's why Telsa's sales have exploded the last couple of years. The price of gas doesn't help either.
Old 05-15-22, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

As usual, xjokerz generally has it correct.
Old 05-15-22, 07:25 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xjokerz
It's the government telling us they're going to be number 1, so that's why Telsa's sales have exploded the last couple of years. The price of gas doesn't help either.
That makes no sense. Teslas sales growth was after all incentives expired. They are simply popular vehicles and have nothing to do with government. They just make cars people want. Government has NOTHING to do with their sales.
Old 05-15-22, 07:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Huh??? Even though they haven't qualified for the EV tax credit for the last 2 years? Makes zero sense

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-15-22 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: F150 Lightning