EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

F150 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-22, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Huh??? Even though they haven't qualified for the EV tax credit for the last 2 years? Makes zero sense

This link explains the reason GM and Tesla electric vehicles are exempt from tax credit.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...x-credits.html
Yes. The government is phasing out the electric vehicle tax credits as sales increase, on the theory that the high initial cost of adding new technology to a vehicle will come down as economies of scale improve with more sales. That's supposed to eliminate the need for subsidies. The expiration date is separate for each manufacturer and only comes after an automaker sells 200,000 qualified vehicles. Tesla hit the milestone first in July 2018. As a result, there are no federal tax credits for Tesla now.

In the last quarter of 2018, GM became the second carmaker to sell 200,000 qualified plug-in vehicles. And like Tesla, all new electric vehicles from GM no longer have the federal tax incentive.

Nissan is next in line for a credit phaseout, but Edmunds analysts say that unless sales for the Leaf pick up significantly, it's unlikely Nissan will reach the threshold in 2022. All other makers are trailing far behind in plug-in car sales.
Old 05-15-22, 07:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
It's the government telling us they're going to be number 1, so that's why Telsa's sales have exploded the last couple of years. The price of gas doesn't help either.
That makes zero sense lol. People buy Teslas because they want Teslas. There are no tax credits available any longer for Teslas, yet people buy more Teslas than ever. Price of gas is one reason why people want them, gas is going to keep getting more expensive, the government is not causing that. We have the cheapest gas in the world outside of the middle east.
Old 05-15-22, 07:46 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,251 Likes on 1,754 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This link explains the reason GM and Tesla electric vehicles are exempt from tax credit.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...x-credits.html
​​​​​​ This is all well in good, what does this all have to do with you agreeing with a ridiculous statement that the government wants Tesla to be no.1, and how does that corelate with Tesla selling over a million vehicles this year even though they ran out of tax credits? Are implying all those people were brainwashed by the government? I'm just confused...

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-15-22 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-15-22, 07:49 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

​​​​​​ This is all well in good, what does this all have to do with you agreeing with a ridiculous statement that the government wants Tesla to be no.1, and how does that corelate with Tesla selling over a million vehicles this year even though they ran out of tax credits? Are implying all those people were brainwashed by the government?
Can't deal with the natural success of a company? Shift credit to government or a grand conspiracy we've seen many versions on this forum over the years.
Old 05-15-22, 07:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Can't deal with the natural success of a company? Shift credit to government or a grand conspiracy we've seen many versions on this forum over the years.
I think it's pretty useless discussing EV'S on this forum. It's like the world has turned flat, misinformation is the new craze, and I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels like a trapped hamster, forever running in one spot
Old 05-15-22, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think it's pretty useless discussing EV'S on this forum. It's like the world has turned flat, misinformation is the new craze, and I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels like a trapped hamster, forever running in one spot
Sad thing is, it’s really just 4 people.
Old 05-15-22, 07:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

​​​​​​ This is all well in good, what does this all have to do with you agreeing with a ridiculous statement that the government wants Tesla to be no.1, and how does that corelate with Tesla selling over a million vehicles this year even though they ran out of tax credits? Are implying all those people were brainwashed by the government? I'm just confused...
I was not agreeing necessarily that the government was trying to make Tesla #1......only to the fact that government agendas were, and are, aa big factor in the rapidly-growing EV market. I can't discuss it in further detail because it would probably get flagged as too political.
Old 05-15-22, 08:01 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Its ridiculous to not give credit where credit is due. Go test drive an EV...the drivetrain is far superior to an ICE in daily driving. Instant torque, instant response, no NVH, completely next level experience. The Lightning is completely sold out and its probably because a ton of these people had rides in a Tesla and thought the same thing I did when I first rode in my buddies P100D...oh my god. Now they can have that experience in a truck and it comes from a familiar brand.

Teslas have the highest customer satisfaction by multiple publications and thats a POST PURCHASE SURVEY! Complete UTTER NONSENSE that government had anything to do with how popular Teslas are. They just make great cars.

https://insideevs.com/news/563605/te...ment%20average.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-most...sumer-reports/
Old 05-15-22, 08:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I was not agreeing necessarily that the government was trying to make Tesla #1......only to the fact that government agendas were, and are, aa big factor in the rapidly-growing EV market. I can't discuss it in further detail because it would probably get flagged as too political.
My friend, the agenda is new technology introduced into the automotive world. It's as simple as that. People will choose or reject with their wallets. Government has many times been the initial source of new technology, and that's not a bad thing. The internet is an example. I already know what you want to say, I've heard all the arguments. I could knock them all down in one swoop, but this is not the correct forum to do that
Old 05-15-22, 08:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its ridiculous to not give credit where credit is due. Go test drive an EV...the drivetrain is far superior to an ICE in daily driving. Instant torque, instant response, no NVH, completely next level experience. The Lightning is completely sold out and its probably because a ton of these people had rides in a Tesla and thought the same thing I did when I first rode in my buddies P100D...oh my god. Now they can have that experience in a truck and it comes from a familiar brand.

Teslas have the highest customer satisfaction by multiple publications and thats a POST PURCHASE SURVEY! Complete UTTER NONSENSE that government had anything to do with how popular Teslas are. They just make great cars.

https://insideevs.com/news/563605/te...ment%20average.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-most...sumer-reports/
BTW, Elon is a conservative Libertarian in case people don't know
Old 05-15-22, 08:12 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

My friend, the agenda is new technology introduced into the automotive world. It's as simple as that. People will choose or reject with their wallets. Government has many times been the initial source of new technology, and that's not a bad thing. The internet is an example. I already know what you want to say, I've heard all the arguments. I could knock them all down in one swoop, but this is not the correct forum to do that
You have to be pretty tone-deaf to not realize the government has huge goals to eliminate all ICE vehicles. Tech may be a small part of it, but you see tech in a lot of ICE vehicles. The fact that he doesn't want to drill any more oil should be enough reason to believe that's what they want.

Driving characteristics don't matter, either. We're on a car forum, so of course you guys are going to notice how they drive differently compared to ICE. For the vast majority of those with EV's, they've been heavily influenced by the government to do so. Either because of the gas prices (which is a direct consequence of their agenda) or because they're told it'll "make a difference" on the environment. It has very little to do with tech.
Old 05-15-22, 08:17 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You have to be pretty tone-deaf to not realize the government has huge goals to eliminate all ICE vehicles. Tech may be a small part of it, but you see tech in a lot of ICE vehicles. The fact that he doesn't want to drill any more oil should be enough reason to believe that's what they want.

Driving characteristics don't matter, either. We're on a car forum, so of course you guys are going to notice how they drive differently compared to ICE. For the vast majority of those with EV's, they've been heavily influenced by the government to do so. Either because of the gas prices (which is a direct consequence of their agenda) or because they're told it'll "make a difference" on the environment. It has very little to do with tech.
I'm not even going to respond to this
Old 05-15-22, 08:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How do you reconcile the fact that we have the cheapest gas prices in the world with the fact that gas prices are a result of a political agenda?

It’s no secret that the Governments of the world (not just us, everyone, in fact other Governments are way heavier handed about it than us) have steadily pushed carmakers into making more fuel efficient and less polluting vehicles, and yea EVs are a natural progression of that. Why do you think every government has done that? Because it’s necessary for the future of the planet and our health in urban areas.
Old 05-15-22, 08:25 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Government bans will have an effect but the EV uptake isn't driven by that at the moment. Its in its infancy and still accelerating at a rapid pace. I have tons of friends that have Teslas and they are NOT car people. They go test drive the car and find the car to be quiet, efficient, and an overall great experience. Tesla does no marketing and there is a 6-9 month waitlist for their popular models. I challenge you to go find a Mach E, Ioniq 5, or EV6...you can't because they are all spoken for. Many many people WANT EVs and you have to be completely tone deaf to not acknowledge that. I'm sure there are people that don't want EVs but for those that ordered one of the 200k units, they certainly are excited for the EV transition. Look at the reviews of the Lightning on YouTube. They are GLOWING. Most acknowledge that its simply better than their gas counterparts. That $25k premium is nothing to these people...Ford will sell every one they make.
Old 05-15-22, 08:27 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
How do you reconcile the fact that we have the cheapest gas prices in the world with the fact that gas prices are a result of a political agenda?

It’s no secret that the Governments of the world (not just us, everyone, in fact other Governments are way heavier handed about it than us) have steadily pushed carmakers into making more fuel efficient and less polluting vehicles, and yea EVs are a natural progression of that. Why do you think every government has done that? Because it’s necessary for the future of the planet and our health in urban areas.
I wasn't comparing our prices against other countries. Just focusing on ours, prices have gone up to ridiculous levels and there is no end in sight.

I've said in other threads I'm not completely against EV's. What I am against is a hasty timeline to get everyone to buy one with part of their strategy being to increase prices. Then all these companies ban ICE production when there is still clearly demand. You can't make this happen overnight but they're sure trying.

Last edited by xjokerz; 05-15-22 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply: F150 Lightning