EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

F150 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-22, 11:25 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
the good news is that through software revisions, Ford can make the F-150 more efficient. As someone stated earlier, it will probably be one or two generations before towing heavy loads becomes a reality, but 50 percent of what makes an EV good is the software. Over 4 OTA updates later, and my Polestar has gotten way better, and efficiency has jumped from around 85-90 MPGe to over 100 MPGe. They also released an additional 10 miles of range by probably releasing some additional battery capacity
Software can increase motor efficiency but it can't change the amount of energy needed to pull something down the road. I'm sure the truck will become more efficient but when towing the massive increase in required energy will make the gains mild.

Outside of a specialized vehicle like the Tesla Semi I don't see EVs as making sense for towing. Not to say towing with a diesel truck is desirable, the amount of required energy and resulting pollution is horrendous.
Old 08-02-22, 11:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,251 Likes on 1,754 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Software can increase motor efficiency but it can't change the amount of energy needed to pull something down the road. I'm sure the truck will become more efficient but when towing the massive increase in required energy will make the gains mild.

Outside of a specialized vehicle like the Tesla Semi I don't see EVs as making sense for towing. Not to say towing with a diesel truck is desirable, the amount of required energy and resulting pollution is horrendous.
I get that, that's why I mentioned it may take one of two generations for that to become viable. That or a BFB (get it...BFG, Bigger F'n Gun...Bigger F'n...nevermind)
Old 08-02-22, 11:45 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

lol. I like that moniker would work. Ford F-150 BFB.
Old 08-02-22, 12:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

lol. I like that moniker would work. Ford F-150 BFB.
I think that phrase was coined in Doom. I remember once you got the "BFG", you were unstoppable!

Darn, I'm old....
Old 08-02-22, 12:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I think that phrase was coined in Doom. I remember once you got the "BFG", you were unstoppable!
Has its own wiki page!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFG_(weapon)
Old 08-22-22, 10:29 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla can't open up their charging network to other brands soon enough.

Old 08-22-22, 10:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla can't open up their charging network to other brands soon enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TSG5qKNCtE
They did it wrong. With EA, you plug-in first, then select the charger from the app and swipe to start charging. Tesla definitely makes it easier where you just plug in, but EA has to deal with so many different EV's while Tesla only has to deal with...Tesla. Tesla won't be seamless at first either for non-Tesla's. Anyway, that's not their fault, this looks like it's their first time using an EA. Also a few times I've used an EA, the charger was offline but only showed it in the app and not on the screen. EA really needs to improve because the number of EV's on the road is growing daily

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-22-22 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-22-22, 11:27 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

They did it wrong. With EA, you plug-in first, then select the charger from the app and swipe to start charging. Tesla definitely makes it easier where you just plug in, but EA has to deal with so many different EV's while Tesla only has to deal with...Tesla. Tesla won't be seamless at first either for non-Tesla's. Anyway, that's not their fault, this looks like it's their first time using an EA. Also a few times I've used an EA, the charger was offline but only showed it in the app and not on the screen. EA really needs to improve because the number of EV's on the road is growing daily
Too long of a video so I only want he’s the first few minutes. You mention they’re supposed to plug-in, then initiate the charge through the app, right? But as soon as they plug-in the charger station screen is doing a bunch of handshaking with the car and authorizing payment, or at least it appears to. It doesn’t seem to give you time to go into your app because the charging station is already doing its thing (except for actually charging). It does seem very confusing. Does Ford (or other EV manufacturers) not walk a new owner through the EA charging process? Seems simple for EA to throw up a screen saying “complete next steps through your app”. Lastly, gosh that’s a big plug!
Old 08-22-22, 11:37 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Too long of a video so I only want he’s the first few minutes. You mention they’re supposed to plug-in, then initiate the charge through the app, right? But as soon as they plug-in the charger station screen is doing a bunch of handshaking with the car and authorizing payment, or at least it appears to. It doesn’t seem to give you time to go into your app because the charging station is already doing its thing (except for actually charging). It does seem very confusing. Does Ford (or other EV manufacturers) not walk a new owner through the EA charging process? Seems simple for EA to throw up a screen saying “complete next steps through your app”. Lastly, gosh that’s a big plug!
The way EA works is you plug in, then it initiates the hand shake between the charger and your cars charging port. You either swipe a credit card, or you open up the app (the app uses location to find the EA location where you are), select the charger by it's number, and swipe to start the charging. You have to be in the same location as the EA chargers to use the app. EA can be a little confusing the first time you use it, but once you use it the first time it's pretty fast and easy.

EA doesn't automatically initiate the charging session, as it doesn't know what car it's plugged into. For example I have a plan called "Polestar 2 plan" which is two years free charging, but I've charged my wife's Ioniq using my plan, and EA has no way of knowing
Old 08-22-22, 11:51 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

The way EA works is you plug in, then it initiates the hand shake between the charger and your cars charging port. You either swipe a credit card, or you open up the app (the app uses location to find the EA location where you are), select the charger by it's number, and swipe to start the charging. You have to be in the same location as the EA chargers to use the app. EA can be a little confusing the first time you use it, but once you use it the first time it's pretty fast and easy.

EA doesn't automatically initiate the charging session, as it doesn't know what car it's plugged into. For example I have a plan called "Polestar 2 plan" which is two years free charging, but I've charged my wife's Ioniq using my plan, and EA has no way of knowing
The Fast Lane guys had issues with the learning curve charging their F150 Lightning too the first time. Maybe the manufactures need to include a placard in each car to explain the procedures. Or have the app detect that you’re near an EA charger and pop up a notification to walk you through the process. You are right that it can and will get better but it shouldn’t have taken this long. At least now I’m mentally prepared if we need to use an EA station in the future. Maybe a old Samaritan can print the proper protocol and stock on each station in their locality or post it to “TikTok Taught Me”, lol.
Old 08-22-22, 12:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
The Fast Lane guys had issues with the learning curve charging their F150 Lightning too the first time. Maybe the manufactures need to include a placard in each car to explain the procedures. Or have the app detect that you’re near an EA charger and pop up a notification to walk you through the process. You are right that it can and will get better but it shouldn’t have taken this long. At least now I’m mentally prepared if we need to use an EA station in the future. Maybe a old Samaritan can print the proper protocol and stock on each station in their locality or post it to “TikTok Taught Me”, lol.
The first time I used an EA fast charger to charge my Polestar I plugged in and the screen said to tap a credit card or tap your smartphone. I kept tapping my smart phone (with the EA app logged in and open), but nothing was happening. It would eventually time out and tell me I need to re-plug. I called the 800 number for EA support listed on every charging station, and got someone immediately. They walked me through using the app, and I never had an issue since. The only issues I've had with EA is when travelling I've noticed that one or two of their fast chargers will be offline, but in three trips I've never had to wait for a charger. In Norcal they mostly seem to work, in SoCal around my brothers area (Ontario/Chino Hills/Corona) there always seems to be one or two offline.

EA support is pretty good, you get someone immediately and one time in SoCal I was using one of the Superchargers that was really sluggish, and they rebooted it for me and everything worked after that!
Old 08-27-22, 10:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Finally saw the new F150. SPECTACULAR effort. I like it a lot because it doesn’t look awkward and different like almost every EV out there. Just looks like a Ford truck. Underneath the chassis is next level engineering. Can’t believe the size and design of the rear suspension. Love the fact the full size spare is sitting in the usually spot. Kudos for keeping it body on frame

Now for the BUT…..holy sticker shock. This was not even a fully loaded model. This was mid trim. $100,000 CAN dollars. Apparently top spec is $110,000. I always think of 36mo and warranty vs financing. That is $3138 a month (with tax) to be able to pay it off in the warranty period. Astonishing world we now live in.

not really sure I like the EV style front end.

this is some interesting engineering compared to a solid axle

Cool light on the running board. (My 04 4R has two lights per running board)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-27-22 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-28-22, 08:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Now for the BUT…..holy sticker shock. This was not even a fully loaded model. This was mid trim. $100,000 CAN dollars. Apparently top spec is $110,000. I always think of 36mo and warranty vs financing. That is $3138 a month (with tax) to be able to pay it off in the warranty period. Astonishing world we now live in.
goes with the 2mil CDN narrow cereal box home in toronto.
Old 08-29-22, 01:18 PM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

don't forget these will be sold to fleet customers as well. perhaps fleet pricing will be cheaper; more discount the more quantity you buy?

i found it cool is that a fleet model can be tailored so the full power cannot be accessed if the owner doesn't want their workers to burn through tires so much haha!
Old 10-05-22, 07:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Wasn’t there a price hike just recently ?

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...es-2022-10-05/

Quick Reply: F150 Lightning