EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

F150 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-22, 08:03 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

article says the lineup hiked the price in august, now the Pro (cheap trim) is getting hiked again lol

all these price hikes can buy a LOT of gas

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 10-05-22 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-05-22, 08:59 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 723 Likes on 452 Posts

There are a fair few unhappy potential customers who have been unable to order the Pro trim because Ford just isn’t making many of them available. There weren’t all that many who were able to get the Pro at the original 40K price and very few reservation holders were able to secure a Pro when the order window reopened recently. Ford has only delivered around 8000 Lightnings since launch and far more of them have been the higher spec models. When you can only make a limited number it’s not surprising the top trims get priority albeit you can understand why customers are upset.
Old 10-05-22, 09:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Power restrictions......interesting. I wonder where that will lead, probably a mandated maximum allowed 0-60 time at some point.
Old 02-14-23, 02:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Ford halts production, shipments of F-150 Lightning over possible battery issue

Ford Motor Co said on Tuesday that it had stopped production and shipments of its F-150 Lightning electric pickup after discovering a potential battery issue during pre-delivery checks.

“We are not aware of any incidences of this issue in the field,” Ford spokesperson Emma Bergg said in an email. She said the production stop was issued at the start of last week.
No hint to what the problem may be. I saw a Lightning on the road yesterday for the first time it looks good. Ford would sell so many of these if they could make em.

Owner was driving like a total ***** though.
Old 02-14-23, 02:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K

Ford halts production, shipments of F-150 Lightning over possible battery issue

No hint to what the problem may be. I saw a Lightning on the road yesterday for the first time it looks good. Ford would sell so many of these if they could make em.

Owner was driving like a total ***** though.
Well, that's not good . I just read an article that Ford is going with LFP batteries soon
Old 02-16-23, 05:49 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 802 Likes on 560 Posts

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/15/ford...on-halted.html

Looks like it was due to a fire in the pre-delivery area at the factory. Also spread to another vehicle in that area
Old 06-06-23, 08:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Motor Trend is doing another long term/12 month test. Full test is here, but I've copied a few snippets below:

2023 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT Yearlong Test: Off to a Bumpy Start with "RangeLiar"
EV life in the Midwest is nothing like EV life in Southern Calfifornia, and we're gaining a keen appreciation for Middle America's reluctance to go electric.
Driving 10 over the 75-mph limit on US-10 for the 15 miles back to grandma's consumed 49 miles of indicated range. Our attempt to creep home at 70 mph, traffic streaking by on the left, failed, forcing a stop at a 125-kW ChargePoint station curiously located inside the short-term parking lot at the Flint airport. It haltingly dispensed 20 miles of range in 10 minutes before faulting out, forcing us to complete the 58-mile run at 65 mph, arriving on electronic "fumes." Had I just purchased this $85,779 truck, I'd be asking for my money back.
Now that we've internalized the potentially counterproductive effects of high speeds (you'll arrive a lot later if that extra 10 mph forces an additional charging stop), we're starting to appreciate the quiet cabin, the creamy-smooth (for a pickup) ride quality, and the Sync 4 user interface. So far 65 percent of our charging has been Level 2 AC, resulting in lower per-mile energy costs than for our predominantly DC-fast-charged California Lightning ($0.17 versus $0.20). We'll be running to the lakes, using that Pro Power Onboard energy to power lawn and construction projects—not to mention the MotorTrend tailgate-party trailer—and lots more. The big question is, will we take it on enough long trips to accrue 20,000 miles, given that everybody in this office dreads the prospect of traveling around the nation's midsection, where chargers are fewer, farther between, and frequently FUBAR? Stick with us to find out.
Old 06-06-23, 11:13 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Motor Trend is doing another long term/12 month test. Full test is here, but I've copied a few snippets below:
Well Holy Moly—- they remind us that not all of America is SoCal in terms of weather and pro-EV ideology. Some people will never understand that.

F150 lightning is a complete disaster. A joke.
Old 06-06-23, 06:39 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

Disappointing. Ford is a great American compnay. Still waiting for the big boys to get in...
Old 06-06-23, 06:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I'm seriously wondering if Jim Farley is trying to get fired. Recently in an interview he was brutally honest about the challenges of software, vertical integration and overall how difficult it is to scale and make any profit selling EVs. He also basically said Ford is going to spin off their EV biz and give unions the middle finger.

He didn't stop there, said Ford will go after markets not dominated by Tesla which is another way of saying more specialized, lower volume vehicles.
Old 06-06-23, 07:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Chevy claims the work truck EV has 425 miles of range which I doubt, but I doubt even more that a significant amount of fleet managers are going to walk in dealers and buy 200 pure work trucks with batteries instead of engines. Seriously? What about interstate work, etc that takes miles and miles to get to. Construction work in the boonies...

There is a place for EVs, trucks are not there. I wouldn't want to pay money to retrofit my garage and I'm not sure you could anyway, but I get why I see Teslas everywhere. They are perfect for around town errands where you just plug them in at home and never go out of town.

Why does everyone think GM just invested 800M into a new V8 small block gen? For the trucks first and foremost. There will be a 5.3L (and hopefully, 6.2 also) under the hoods of GM trucks for a LONG time to come.
Old 06-06-23, 07:29 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l#post11186444

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-06-23 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-06-23, 07:35 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Here's the interview, good watch. Farley is a fantastic CEO I hope he doesn't get the Herbert Diess treatment.

Old 06-06-23, 09:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Chevy claims the work truck EV has 425 miles of range which I doubt, but I doubt even more that a significant amount of fleet managers are going to walk in dealers and buy 200 pure work trucks with batteries instead of engines. Seriously? What about interstate work, etc that takes miles and miles to get to. Construction work in the boonies...

There is a place for EVs, trucks are not there. I wouldn't want to pay money to retrofit my garage and I'm not sure you could anyway, but I get why I see Teslas everywhere. They are perfect for around town errands where you just plug them in at home and never go out of town.

Why does everyone think GM just invested 800M into a new V8 small block gen? For the trucks first and foremost. There will be a 5.3L (and hopefully, 6.2 also) under the hoods of GM trucks for a LONG time to come.
Let me correct you on Tesla's. Perfect for long distance road trips. Thousands of Tesla's travel between Northern and Southern California routinely. That's the specific reason I bought the Y. We are about to make a trip to SoCal end of June for a family gathering for my father's passing. I'll post more about it (the drive) in my Model Y thread.

Scouts honor, you don't have to retrofit your garage for an EV. In fact I don't park any of my cars (four EV'S and a Sienna) in my garage
Old 06-06-23, 10:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Let me correct you on Tesla's. Perfect for long distance road trips. Thousands of Tesla's travel between Northern and Southern California routinely. That's the specific reason I bought the Y. We are about to make a trip to SoCal end of June for a family gathering for my father's passing. I'll post more about it (the drive) in my Model Y thread.

Scouts honor, you don't have to retrofit your garage for an EV. In fact I don't park any of my cars (four EV'S and a Sienna) in my garage
I wasn't talking about Tesla, at all.

Quick Reply: F150 Lightning