EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

F150 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-21, 02:55 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Don't forget the inevitable grid collapse, terrible winter range, massive environmental footprint to mine battery materials. Impossible to recycle. Battery fires. What did I leave out.
"It's okay if my favorite brands do it"
Old 05-20-21, 02:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Lend0
I see it towing an airstream. I wonder what the range is when towing
C&D predicts not very good...

We Bet F-150 Lightning's Range Is under 100 Miles when Towing at the Max

Ford promises EPA ratings of 230 and 300 miles, but towing and hauling near the claimed 10,000-pound maximum is going to seriously cut into those figures.

Range typically occupies an outsized chunk of the conversation on any new EV. But, in the case of the F-150 Lightning, which has the bestselling pickup's usual healthy scoop of towing and hauling capabilities, things get even more complicated than normal.

Ford is claiming that the range figures for its electric pickup will come in at 230 miles and 300 miles, depending on whether the standard-range (which we estimate can hold 115.0 kWh) or extended-range battery pack (150.0 kWh, same caveat) is beneath the bed. Those are EPA predictions, specifically EPA combined figures, in lightly loaded conditions.

Although the Lightning is aided by the aerodynamic effects of its flat underbody, when running at real highway speeds there's no tricking the air molecules, and a bluff truck is going to suffer. In our highway range testing, which we conduct at a steady 75 mph, we typically see a range number that's about 20 percent below the EPA figure. Using that same bogey, which is probably generous in the case of a full-size pickup, would put the Lightning in the 180-to-240-mile zone for what you might achieve on a road trip.

In a recent towing test with another EV, lugging a 3859-pound boat at 70 mph chopped its range in half compared to a run at the same speed sans trailer. Applying these results to the F-150 means that towing a modest trailer would put the highway range at roughly 100 to 125 miles, depending on the pack. Towing anywhere near the 10,000-pound maximum rating on XLT and Lariat models (with the maximum trailer tow package and extended-range battery) at highway speeds, we believe you'd be hard pressed to exceed double-digit miles. We'd take that bet, in fact.

Utilizing the Lightning's payload capabilities, which are 1800 pounds for the extended-range battery and 2000 pounds for the smaller pack will put you somewhere between these two extremes. And those figures both include the up-to-400 pounds that can be stowed in the large and handy front trunk.

At least there's some smart technology to help adjust the range prediction shown to the driver in day-to-day use. As launched on the 2021 F-150, the Lightning uses a height sensor at each corner to estimate the load in the bed or on the trailer hitch and preemptively adjusts down the range predictions accordingly.

The old adage "your mileage may vary" is very apropos when discussing EVs. And the F-150 Lightning's, because of its tough-truck capabilities, will vary more than most.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-range-towing/

Old 05-20-21, 03:04 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

engineering explained did even a basic energy calculation that accounted for battery capacity, going up in elevation, aerodynamics, and the range drops dramatically with just theoretical numbers.
Old 05-20-21, 03:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i question this "3 day" powering a home figure. They said the average home uses 30kWh a day? How can they use so little. I dont use much in my house almost all my lights are LED/CFL, I run a couple ceiling fans constant, and in the winter im still using about 600 kwh a week, almost triple this average at my lowest power consumption? I mainly have a computer running, fridge and a chest freezer. No ones powering a home for 3 days maybe a bare bones studio apartment. Im not banking on this lasting 3 days.
It’s just marketing. Greenie millennials soak this stuff up.
Old 05-20-21, 03:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Lend0​
I see it towing an airstream. I wonder what the range is when towing
Originally Posted by JDR76
C&D predicts not very good...
That would be the case, though, even with an ICE truck. All else equal, towing requires the engine to work harder.....therefore to burn more fuel.
Old 05-20-21, 04:48 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That would be the case, though, even with an ICE truck. All else equal, towing requires the engine to work harder.....therefore to burn more fuel.
Absolutely. In my Tacoma, with our 4000lb trailer, my range on a full tank drops from about 300 miles to 200 at most. But then I can refill it in 5 minutes.

I'm an advocate for electric cars, though I don't want one just yet. I would buy one for many uses, but towing isn't one of them.
Old 05-20-21, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

20,000 reservations for the Lightning in the first 12 hours.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/20/ford...g-pickup-.html
Old 05-20-21, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Because of this electrifying reveal ⚡️ I predict the Tesla stock will fall tomorrow at opening by $150
Interesting, but Tesla's stock actually dropped on Wednesday, before the Lightning was revealed. Today, (Thursday), when you and I both expected a fall, it actually recovered some.

Ford stock closed today at $12.49, up 3.14% from yesterday. I would have expected maybe a little more of a rise with all of the Lightning's hype. As I posted above, 20,000 reservations in the first 12 hours. In a couple of days, we will probably see 100,000 reservations like we did with the Bronco.......there is a lot bigger potential market with an F-150.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-20-21 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-20-21, 05:35 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

heavy towing in a half ton usually get around 9-10 mpg. With the 33/36 gallon tanks out there 300 is easily achievable
Old 05-20-21, 05:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting, but Tesla's stock actually dropped on Wednesday, before the Lightning was revealed. Today, (Thursday), it actually recovered some.

Ford stock closed today at $12.49, up 3.14% from yesterday. I would have expected maybe a little more of a rise with all of the Lightning's hype. As I posted above, 20,000 reservations in the first 12 hours. In a couple of days. we will probably see 100,000 reservations like we did with the Bronco.......there is a lot bigger potential market with an F-150.
‘Yeah...I was being tongue in check with the $150 part...looks like I was wrong
Old 05-20-21, 05:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Interesting, but Tesla's stock actually dropped on Wednesday, before the Lightning was revealed. Today, (Thursday), when you and I both expected a fall, it actually recovered some.

Ford stock closed today at $12.49, up 3.14% from yesterday. I would have expected maybe a little more of a rise with all of the Lightning's hype. As I posted above, 20,000 reservations in the first 12 hours. In a couple of days, we will probably see 100,000 reservations like we did with the Bronco.......there is a lot bigger potential market with an F-150.
I don't think they have the same customers so the F150 won't be cross shopped. Most of Cybertruck will be sold in California as an image car especially at first. We will see if it actually crosses over into mainstream truck customers who will mostly remain die hard ICE owners till the end.
Old 05-20-21, 06:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't think they have the same customers so the F150 won't be cross shopped. Most of Cybertruck will be sold in California as an image car especially at first. We will see if it actually crosses over into mainstream truck customers who will mostly remain die hard ICE owners till the end.
I think the Cybertruck is more like the Hummer. Wacky stuff. Over the top. Show trucks. Stuff that you’d see in the Michael Bay Transformer movies. I think the Cybertruck is pretty awesome
Old 05-20-21, 06:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the Cybertruck is more like the Hummer. Wacky stuff. Over the top. Show trucks. Stuff that you’d see in the Michael Bay Transformer movies. I think the Cybertruck is pretty awesome
I like it but i don't know if middle America will. We can only wait and see.
Old 05-20-21, 06:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I like it but i don't know if middle America will. We can only wait and see.
Middle America won’t. That’s why is has to be so crazy and over the top. It’s for a new generation of buyers.
Old 05-20-21, 06:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't think they have the same customers so the F150 won't be cross shopped.
Oh, I agree that the Bronco and F-150 probably won't be cross-shopped......I wasn't suggesting otherwise. My point that the market for F-150s is enormous....much larger than even the Bronco's. Not as many electric F-150s will be likely be sold as will gas versions...but we're still talking about a very large potential market, perhaps in the hundreds of thousands.

Quick Reply: F150 Lightning