EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

F150 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-21, 11:18 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
Out of the 250k reservations for the Cybertruck, How many are actual buyers vs the F150? Possibly a few vs the 150. How many are actually going to use Tesla's truck as a truck vs the 150? Yea its possibly faster, then the 150, but ppl w/ the 150 are going to use it for yrs for everything for everyday ppl. Yea it great to have a freak for a week, but not for the long haul......The model 3 & Y/X are totally different btw....
I'm not sure I understand the point of the questions - no one will know the conversion rate of reservations to buyers in either case until some time in 2022. And I don't think Ford, Chevy or Dodge ever ask someone shopping a pickup truck to prove that they're "going to use the truck as a truck". If they sell a truck, they're happy. So sales figures will tell the story. I think the Lightning will do fine - I think it's interesting and relevant to compare reservations figures for the Lightning vs. the Cybertruck over a one week period to gauge initial interest.
Old 05-24-21, 11:43 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

During the Cybertruck reveal, my jaw dropped and my immediate reaction was, "there's no way people are buying that pyramid on wheels". But by the end of the live cast, I was ready to put down a deposit, lol. The design, specs, and features quickly grew on me. Ultimately, I don't want a Cybertruck but mostly because I don't want to drive or park something that big. I still think the Cybertruck is pretty awesome and is totally inline with the "innovation, technical leadership, and different thinking" that is associated with the Tesla brand. Just like there are things Apple can get away with because it's Apple doing it.

So many companies have copied Tesla ideas, such as OTA software updates, driver assistance, apps to access and control your car, frunks, online orders, battery swap, and even the Range Rover Velar copied the Model S retractable door handles. The Cybertruck can afford to stand out because it is expected that Tesla pioneers new ideas and the rest will copy some aspect of it. So far, all Tesla designs have aged extremely well without looking dated. The F150 Lightning is delivering what is expected from the Ford brand. I expect the Lightning and Cybertruck will both be popular and caters to each respective demographic. These are exciting times as competition heats up.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 05-24-21 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-24-21, 12:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
During the Cybertruck reveal, my jaw dropped and my immediate reaction was, "there's no way people are buying that pyramid on wheels". But by the end of the live cast, I was ready to put down a deposit, lol. The design, specs, and features quickly grew on me.
i'm asking seriously because i don't know - what features are so great about the cybertruck? obviously it didn't leave an impression when i saw the reveal.

So many companies have copied Tesla ideas, such as OTA software updates, driver assistance, apps to access and control your car, frunks, online orders, battery swap, and even the Range Rover Velar copied the Model S retractable door handles.
many of those things have been available in other brands before tesla. tesla offers a battery swap?

So far, all Tesla designs have aged extremely well without looking dated.
i disagree. when i see an early model S for example, it doesn't look that great for me, plus the fit and finish problems are horrendous. it's better with newer ones (different front for example) and now there's more dark instead of chrome trim it looks better.

The F150 Lightning is delivering what is expected from the Ford brand. I expect the Lightning and Cybertruck will both be popular and caters to each respective demographic. These are exciting times as competition heats up.
i agree they will appeal to different customers, lol.

elon musk could tie a battery to a turd and it would have thousands of pre-orders.

Old 05-24-21, 12:51 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm asking seriously because i don't know - what features are so great about the cybertruck? obviously it didn't leave an impression when i saw the reveal.

many of those things have been available in other brands before tesla. tesla offers a battery swap?

i disagree. when i see an early model S for example, it doesn't look that great for me, plus the fit and finish problems are horrendous. it's better with newer ones (different front for example) and now there's more dark instead of chrome trim it looks better.

elon musk could tie a battery to a turd and it would have thousands of pre-orders.
For me, the range was impressive, dent proof doors, “bulletproof” glass (even though the demo was a horrendous fail, twice), the built in retractable tonneau cover, and the tailgate ramp were neat. It just looked badass and different than your typical square truck silhouette.

Tesla demonstrated battery swap almost 8 years ago, accomplishing the swap in about 90 seconds. Of course they milk it for added effect. The below video shows them swapping two Model S batteries in the time it takes to fill up an Audi with gas:

Sure, the build quality of early models wasn’t good, but they’ve only refreshed the front of the S since the original design and it still looks more modern and forward-thinking than anything else from the same era. I am amazed the chassis and exterior designs hold up so well over time while Tesla continues to refine the technology, and build quality, within each of those cars.
They continue to make incremental tweaks without expensive complete redesigns. The current styling is still working very well for Tesla.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 05-24-21 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-24-21, 12:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I see a lot of Tesla features that other auto companies don't have. Sentry mode, pre-set cabin environmental controls when you leave for work or home, dog-mode to protect your pets inside your car, OTA software that adds significant features never promised on the car (Sentry mode, more power, new video games, etc..),

Also, Cybertruck is just a different spin on a truck but has some noticeable features that are unique to Tesla. Stainless steel body thats scratch proof and dent resistent. Its Tesla fast and has great range. Looks totally different in a way that other OEMs can't sell. HOnestly, if they made a Cyber Car with the stainless steel body with some of the same angular weirdness, I'd trade in my Model 3 for that. I'd never have to worry about hand washing it...just take it through the auto washes and couldn't care less about parking in tight spots. That would be awesome
Old 05-24-21, 01:03 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Good point on the free extra power and range increases through OTA, after the sale, @EZZ . I totally forgot about that. The video games I don’t really care for, but the wife and kid use Caraoke a lot more than I expected…sometimes too much. I like watching YouTube, Netflix and Hulu on the bigger screen while waiting for my wife to finish shopping.
Old 05-24-21, 01:25 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Good point on the free extra power and range increases through OTA, after the sale, @EZZ . I totally forgot about that. The video games I don’t really care for, but the wife and kid use Caraoke a lot more than I expected…sometimes too much. I like watching YouTube, Netflix and Hulu on the bigger screen while waiting for my wife to finish shopping.
I expect the F150 and other EVs to get some OTA abilities but they can't do what Tesla does because Tesla is vertical and owns the stack from the hardware components to owning the complete source code. The OEMs are more like parts aggregators so they beholden to their suppliers for a lot of their solutions. Verticalization enabled Tesla to de-risk their exposure to the chip shortage by pivoting to microcontrollers and developing new firmware to work with new chipsfrom different suppliers (per their earnings call).

In the end, the core F150 buyers have never experienced the OTA upgrade experience so they don't know what they are missing so won't care. Those who are used to the OTA experience will probably find the Cybertruck more appealing.
Old 05-26-21, 09:30 AM
wiltony
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As an electric car owner and EV advocate, I still just can't quite see this as a reasonable substitute for a recreational RV hauler. The picture of the family with the RV on some remote hillside is just not going to be very feasible unless Ford provides a MUCH (like 2x at least) bigger battery. The range hit from both towing combined with climbing (where I'm at, if you're RV'ing, it's usually to the mountains) would kill range so much, that combined with the rural/remote nature of where you would want to be going with that RV, it just makes it completely unfathomable to me that anyone would be able to do this.

The *only* mitigating factor is if you're planning to go to an RV park with electric hookups, and you can use the 220 there to charge your pickup for the return trip, but still...better hope that RV park is like less than 100 mi from your house.

Good step in the right direction overall, and great for metro-area based pickup use and those who like to commute in their truck, but recreational RV/boat hauling? No friggin way this is feasible, sorry.
Old 05-26-21, 11:54 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Update: Ford is up to 70,000 reservations for the 2022 F-150 Lightning

CEO Jim Farley says production will be limited in the first model year

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/05/20/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-reservations-numbers/
Old 05-26-21, 01:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

To the surprise of no one that even casually follows the auto industry. Everyone is battery constrained.
Old 05-28-21, 12:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Don't know if posted but this is Marques Brownlee's review... he's usually the apple fanboy reviewer, but he's truly excellent at what he does.

this was a VERY informative review sharing lots of cool details.

newsflash, the 300mi. EPA range is WITH 1000lbs in the truck! He's seeing much bigger available range.

Old 05-28-21, 12:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
To the surprise of no one that even casually follows the auto industry. Everyone is battery constrained.
who's doing the doom and gloom now?
Old 05-28-21, 12:40 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Don't know if posted but this is Marques Brownlee's review... he's usually the apple fanboy reviewer, but he's truly excellent at what he does.

newsflash, the 300mi. EPA range is WITH 1000lbs in the truck! He's seeing much bigger available range.

https://youtu.be/J2npVg9ONFo
That is quite impressive. I have relied on MB's reviews when I was scoping out the new M1 MacBooks earlier in the year. Ford has done their homework and seems they're eager to electrify the Bronco and Ranger next. Glad to be holding F stock.
Old 05-28-21, 12:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

who's doing the doom and gloom now?
There is no battery shortage? Think so? Love to see you back that up since Tesla is delaying products (some for years) the Mach E is being made in small numbers because battery supply is limited.
Old 05-28-21, 12:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

https://youtu.be/J2npVg9ONFo
Cool review....but the young millennial chap brought golf clubs.... He could have brought some of his construction materials...maybe some wood...maybe a gas powered chainsaw...... ha, maybe this is gonna be a city slicker truck....

Quick Reply: F150 Lightning