EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-22, 06:31 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I bet if the Ioniq 5 was an Acura with the same specs you guys would be hating hard on it, LOL.
Most people hate the Acura EV because it's a GM product lol
Old 01-19-23, 11:05 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Mad rush to purchase Ioniq 5s in biggest drop to date – most gone in 15 minutes

Eager would-be customers had yet another mad scramble to get hold of one of the 250 highly sought after all electric Ioniq 5s that went on sale on Hyundai’s website at 1pm (AEDT) on Thursday.

Hyundai has suggested that more than 20,000 Australians have registered their interest for the award-winning electric SUV over the last 12 months, but only 756 have been delivered to date. Multiple on line “drops” have been sold out in minutes, much to the frustration of some would be buyers, some of whom have described it as a”chook raffle”.

This month’s 250 unit batch equates to a third of all sales from 2022 and the largest single drop to date. Hopefully, it also marks the beginning of a ramp up in sales numbers for 2023.

Would-be customers vented their frustration with Hyundai’s ordering process for the Ioniq 5 in online forums. There were also reports of technical problems on the ordering page.

Hyundai confirmed with The Driven that 202 of the offering were gone within 15 minutes, and most of the rest within an hour. Some cars will be back online tonight as the company says it has cancelled orders from “known prospectors and second time customers.”

One couple was so desperate they each tried to source a vehicle. They ended up with two. “There will be an Epic Gravity Gold going back on the website at some point in time,” said the husband on a Facebook page. “Both my wife and I were trying as the website crashed a couple of times and we both managed to secure them (in Victoria).”

Others were not so lucky.

“Tried 2 different colours in Epiq then 2 in Technique. All gone by 1.04 in Melbourne,” said one.

Another advised: “Gotta be quick. People aren’t kidding when they say they sell out fast. But also – keep checking regularly over the next week, some people will cancel their orders, and the allocation will return to the website.”

This latest batch included three variants: 44 of the 2WD Dynamiq starting at $72,000; 143 of the all-wheel drive Techniq from $79,500; and 63 of the EPIQ all-wheel drive from $85,000.

The entry level Dynamiq comes with a 168kW rear wheel motor. The dual motor Techniq and Epiq come with a 165kW rear motor and a 74kW front motor. All three variants have a 77.4kWh Lithium-ion battery giving a range of 454 to 507 km. The new 2023 model battery is a 7% increase in capacity compared to the previous model which was 72.6 kWh.

The two dual motor variants will have a zero-to-100km/h time of just 5.1 seconds. The new ‘flagship’ Epiq debuts with digital side mirrors, a high-efficiency heat pump system and battery conditioning.

This batch was the first available in all Australian states and territories including customers in the NT and Far North Queensland who have been unable to place orders during previous shipments. Buyers can expect delivery within two to four weeks.

https://thedriven.io/2023/01/19/mad-...in-15-minutes/
Old 01-20-23, 11:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,509 Likes on 1,649 Posts

250 units? big whoop.
Old 01-20-23, 11:10 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
250 units? big whoop.
I know, huh! . Them Aussies
Old 02-21-23, 02:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm 9 months away from the lease ending for my 2020 Ioniq EV, and the Hyundai dealership is already contacting me trying to get me into another Hyundai. I told him that because of dealership markups, I'll be most likely purchasing a Model 3 or Model Y. Looks like the Tesla price cuts have pushed dealerships to sell at MSRP:

Sounds tempting, but I don't think I ever want to deal with a dealership again, especially the way they gouged customers thinking they wouldn't remember
Old 02-21-23, 03:50 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Looks like the Tesla price cuts have pushed dealerships to sell at MSRP:
That's what they'll tell you until you get to the sign-off stage, and then a mysterious $5,000 surcharge appears lol. Common story with Telluride and Palisade buyers.
Old 02-21-23, 03:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
That's what they'll tell you until you get to the sign-off stage, and then a mysterious $5,000 surcharge appears lol. Common story with Telluride and Palisade buyers.
I have no plans of ever stepping in any stealership again. Model 3 or Model Y is the replacement vehicle. I'm just curious how far they will go. Contacting me 9 months before my lease is up seems kind of strange
Old 02-21-23, 03:57 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have no plans of ever stepping in any stealership again. Model 3 or Model Y is the replacement vehicle. I'm just curious how far they will go. Contacting me 9 months before my lease is up seems kind of strange
Dealers are trying as hard as possible to keep your attention. My BMW dealer emailed me to tell me my car was due for service a full 1200 miles/3 months before it was actually due.
Old 02-24-23, 09:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Ionic 5 has a really nice exterior design.
Old 02-24-23, 09:35 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Ya'll thinking Hyundai dealers are resorting to these tactics out of desperation just to stay in business due to low invenory?

Dealer markup is a different thread and I realize that but I'm expecting this car to be a hot seller for people that can't afford a Tesla.

Last edited by Margate330; 02-24-23 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-25-23, 06:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Ya'll thinking Hyundai dealers are resorting to these tactics out of desperation just to stay in business due to low invenory?
not necessarily needed to stay in business, but dealers will do what they do to maximize profit from every deal. i don't blame them but i do realize it's why people hate car dealers.

Dealer markup is a different thread and I realize that but I'm expecting this car to be a hot seller for people that can't afford a Tesla.
as long as hyundai is so supply constrained on ev's they're no threat to tesla no matter what they and dealers charge.
Old 02-25-23, 11:30 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

not necessarily needed to stay in business, but dealers will do what they do to maximize profit from every deal. i don't blame them but i do realize it's why people hate car dealers.

as long as hyundai is so supply constrained on ev's they're no threat to tesla no matter what they and dealers charge.
Yep, this is exactly the case. The Ioniq 5 (and the upcoming Ioniq 6) is still in huge demand, but it looks like Hyundai is only able to produce them in small numbers, and every one of them is sold. I think in 2022 they produced 22,000 units. Tesla sales on average 16,000 Model 3's per month, in December alone they sold nearly 20,000 units.

I believe that one of the biggest holdups for Hyundai (besides being restrained by manufacturing) is having to sell them through dealerships. Hyundai has no controls over pricing, and markups could potentially cause buyers to move on to Tesla.

But I can tell you that Ioniq 5 is popular here in California at least. I see more of them than any other EV, and when I travel to SoCal, I run into more Ioniq 5 owners than any other brand not named Tesla
Old 02-25-23, 12:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I believe that one of the biggest holdups for Hyundai (besides being restrained by manufacturing) is having to sell them through dealerships. Hyundai has no controls over pricing, and markups could potentially cause buyers to move on to Tesla.
chicken and egg... if supply is short and demand is strong dealers will mark up. that's not hurting hyundai anyway as they're all getting sold. hyundai simply needs to make more. if they made more, dealers might actually have to compete on price.
Old 02-25-23, 12:46 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

chicken and egg... if supply is short and demand is strong dealers will mark up. that's not hurting hyundai anyway as they're all getting sold. hyundai simply needs to make more. if they made more, dealers might actually have to compete on price.
Makes sense
Old 02-26-23, 07:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

‘Battery supply will never meet the demand. Prices will always be high.

Quick Reply: 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5