EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-21, 09:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,509 Likes on 1,649 Posts

it's being considered a 'game changer' by major reviewers...

affordable, incredibly fast charging, decent range, all modern features, unique design, very long wheelbase enabling max interior space, on and on...

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-19-21 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-19-21, 09:57 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

affordable, incredibly fast charging, decent range, all modern features, unique design, very long wheelbase enabling max interior space, on and on...

This looks like a great package...especially for the price. This thing is going to be sold out everywhere.
Old 12-19-21, 10:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

A
Pricing is out in Canada. $57,000 for an AWD long range. $62,000 for an all in model. I am not quite sure people are gonna pay that much. And the vehicle really is a hatchback, not quite a crossover. Not even a luxury brand. Pretty expensive stuff those EVs are.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-19-21 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-19-21, 10:16 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,056 Likes on 2,568 Posts

This is Hyundai's Model Y moment. Score.
Old 12-19-21, 11:13 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 321 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Pricing is out in Canada. $57,000 for an AWD long range. $62,000 for an all in model. I am not quite sure people are gonna pay that much. And the vehicle really is a hatchback, not quite a crossover. Not even a luxury brand. Pretty expensive stuff those EVs are.
If this was a Toyota/Lexus you'd be singing praises for it from the highest rooftop. 😁
Old 12-19-21, 11:42 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,056 Likes on 2,568 Posts

Really wish the packaging was better so there was a frunk but can't have everything. I love the fact this car has its own identity it doesn't look like anything else and the interior styling is great.
Old 12-19-21, 11:44 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Note that even the top end AWD model qualifies for the federal and provincial rebates. In BC, that means knock 8k off; in Quebec, it's 13k off. That effectively makes it near 50k, and priced right around the base Tesla Model 3 SR+ (with barely any options), which no longer qualifies for the rebate. I have no idea who would pick the Model 3, let alone the Y at these prices over the IONIQ 5.

Is it expensive for a Hyundai? Maybe. But with the rebate, it's still cheaper than a loaded Palisade, and those things are flying off the shelves.
Old 12-19-21, 12:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
If this was a Toyota/Lexus you'd be singing praises for it from the highest rooftop. 😁
Not quite, Hameed. Remember, Jill had a more or less similar Lexus product (CT200h).....and, at least from what she has told us, despite her on-screen name, she didn't like it.

I didn't particularly like the CT, either, when I did a full-review on one several years ago. Except for the superb NuLuxe seat-coverings, I thought it was more of a Toyota than a Lexus.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-19-21 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-19-21, 12:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Even for Toyota it would be too expensive. It is essentially a hatchback. Maybe under the Lexus/Genesis brands the models pricing might work.

Originally Posted by kolokmee
Note that even the top end AWD model qualifies for the federal and provincial rebates. In BC, that means knock 8k off; in Quebec, it's 13k off. That effectively makes it near 50k, and priced right around the base Tesla Model 3 SR+ (with barely any options), which no longer qualifies for the rebate. I have no idea who would pick the Model 3, let alone the Y at these prices over the IONIQ 5.

Is it expensive for a Hyundai? Maybe. But with the rebate, it's still cheaper than a loaded Palisade, and those things are flying off the shelves.
Government incentives may not last forever. At $50 tops…not too bad. Still a lot of money for a hatch with less than 500km range and something that needs to charge. I wonder how Canada’s cold weather will affect range.
Old 12-19-21, 01:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is Hyundai's Model Y moment. Score.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Really wish the packaging was better so there was a frunk but can't have everything. I love the fact this car has its own identity it doesn't look like anything else and the interior styling is great.

about frunk, yes, i'm very impressed with tesla's packaging, i frankly don't even know where they put everything (brake fluid, washer fluid, air conditioning compressor, 12v battery, or maybe there isn't one, etc.)
Old 12-19-21, 07:33 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

About the only consistent negative I've seen so far about the car is that the infotainment is not up to par. It works, but it's essentially the same one in the current Hyundai/Kia vehicles. It doesn't even list charging stations nearby and still can't accept wireless Android Auto or Apple Carplay. The new infotainment system from the GV60 can't trickle down soon enough.

Ironically this was the same complaint about the first generation of Genesis vehicles- an infotainment that's not bespoke enough from your standard Hyundai.
Old 12-22-21, 07:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Alex on Autos does a thorough test of whether this car can really charge 10-80% in 18 minutes as claimed.

Old 12-30-21, 12:46 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

We all knew it was coming because of its EV6 GT sibling, but nice to get official confirmation of an Ioniq 5 N.

Old 12-30-21, 02:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Alex on Autos does a thorough test of whether this car can really charge 10-80% in 18 minutes as claimed.

https://youtu.be/bE4OkylQ5o8
This is so weird and confusing test. You can see he does not drive EVs.

In any case, Ioniq5 has good battery cooling and 10-80% is very fast, around 22m of battery is heated. If not, it is around 30m, which is still good result.

Model 3 LR and P do it in around 35m. They start to slow down after 50%, and after 80% even more. So difference after 80% is even bigger and more relavant for your long range trips. Ie when you are traveling far, limiting yourself to 80% is also big problem.

Good stuff, in the future it would be good if they can add preheating of the battery and incorporate whole charging thing into it way better.

This will force tesla to improve cooling, i think model s already has it improved wbile new 2021 model 3 actually slowed down
Old 12-30-21, 07:24 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
This is so weird and confusing test. You can see he does not drive EVs.

In any case, Ioniq5 has good battery cooling and 10-80% is very fast, around 22m of battery is heated. If not, it is around 30m, which is still good result.

Model 3 LR and P do it in around 35m. They start to slow down after 50%, and after 80% even more. So difference after 80% is even bigger and more relavant for your long range trips. Ie when you are traveling far, limiting yourself to 80% is also big problem.

Good stuff, in the future it would be good if they can add preheating of the battery and incorporate whole charging thing into it way better.

This will force tesla to improve cooling, i think model s already has it improved wbile new 2021 model 3 actually slowed down
I have a 2019 Model 3 and it does the 10-80% in ~25 min. The new one does it in 31 min. Weird that they slowed it down but they did give it more capacity. On average though, a Tesla will charge faster simply due to the lack of high speed chargers.

https://insideevs.com/news/506520/te...rger-test/amp/

Quick Reply: 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5