EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 05:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Had a chance to see it again.

The car is soooo adorable. It’s like the perfect size. Did get to sit inside, I like it but long term it’s too odd and futuristic. Acres of hard plastic but it is good plastic. Was a little disappointed with the front wheel well room, I thought there was gonna be more room. I kinda felt like I was in a last VW Bug in some ways. I love the mesh netting

Old 01-31-22, 06:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,509 Likes on 1,649 Posts

lexsctjill - if you get a chance, see if you can check out the ioniq's cousin, the kia ev6... same platform but very different vibe.
Old 01-31-22, 06:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lexsctjill - if you get a chance, see if you can check out the ioniq's cousin, the kia ev6... same platform but very different vibe.
Sure. If I come across it. Still. Waiting to see the EQS
Old 01-31-22, 06:25 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think the EV6 is even better and will sell out for months. I'd rather an EV6 GT-line AWD for $57k vs. Model Y for $60k given that there is still a $7500 tax credit on the EV6. The only drawback to the EV6 is that it has car like height so wife may not like it. A base model EV6 is $40k too so tax credit will make it $33k. A very compelling lineup...
Old 01-31-22, 06:42 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think the EV6 is even better and will sell out for months.
They'll both sell out because Hyundai and Kia are rolling them out very slowly. The 2022 MY Ioniq 5 will only be sold in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington. They simply don't have the production capacity and are treating it like a compliance vehicle for now.
Old 01-31-22, 09:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Sure. If I come across it. Still. Waiting to see the EQS
I wish you had the chance to drive it. We have the original Ioniq EV which was not even built from the ground up as an EV and drives beautiful.If it didn't have the limited range of 170 miles I would buy it out after the lease ends
Old 01-31-22, 09:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think the EV6 is even better and will sell out for months. I'd rather an EV6 GT-line AWD for $57k vs. Model Y for $60k given that there is still a $7500 tax credit on the EV6. The only drawback to the EV6 is that it has car like height so wife may not like it. A base model EV6 is $40k too so tax credit will make it $33k. A very compelling lineup...
I like the EV6 better as well. My wife is opposite, she likes a higher up ride as she's been driving a Sienna for many years
Old 03-25-22, 02:47 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

A great review of the Ioniq from Savagegeese

Old 03-25-22, 03:43 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
A great review of the Ioniq from Savagegeese

https://youtu.be/Xd-ONCVjz7I
I saw this review. I've shopped both this and the EV6 and I think the Ioniq 5 is the better family car. I've put multiple orders in and could have bought a couple of them but they wanted at least $5k over sticker. I'm just waiting now until someone sells it to me at MSRP

I think its pretty cheap for what you get and you get 2 years of free charging to boot. The range is kinda meh at 250-300 miles and the speed is adequate (not that great) but the overall packaging seems pretty nice for that $55k. I can also use my Tesla wall charger to charge this also which is a bonus

Below is a good comparison by Motortrend on the I5 vs. EV6.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...n-test-review/
Old 03-25-22, 06:42 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Below is a good comparison by Motortrend on the I5 vs. EV6.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...n-test-review/
It's interesting to see that North American media outlets and reviewers almost unanimously prefer the Ioniq 5 over the EV6, whereas it's the complete opposite in Europe.
Old 03-26-22, 10:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
It's interesting to see that North American media outlets and reviewers almost unanimously prefer the Ioniq 5 over the EV6, whereas it's the complete opposite in Europe.
The cars are very similar. I think the Ioniq seating is a bit higher and the suspension softer which is more to American tastes given our horrible roads. I also prefer the looks of the Ioniq...i think its a very unique design and has more presence on the road.
Old 03-26-22, 10:57 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
The cars are very similar. I think the Ioniq seating is a bit higher and the suspension softer which is more to American tastes given our horrible roads.
It also gives the notion that it's larger and airier on the inside even if the numbers indicate otherwise, which Americans love. Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai offered a front bench seat in the near future. It definitely looks like they designed the car with that in mind.
Old 03-26-22, 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The cars are very similar. I think the Ioniq seating is a bit higher and the suspension softer which is more to American tastes given our horrible roads. I also prefer the looks of the Ioniq...i think its a very unique design and has more presence on the road.

Korean-spec versions of Hyundai/Kia products actually tend to have softer suspensions than their American counterparts, not necessarily because the roads are any better, but because Koreans simply demand it. Like me, they tend to dislike stiff rides. Here in the U.S., the auto press has enormous influence on auto design......and most of them like larger wheels/tires and stiff underpinnings for more responsive handling.
Old 03-26-22, 11:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
I. Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai offered a front bench seat in the near future.
..so exciting lol
Old 03-26-22, 11:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Korean-spec versions of Hyundai/Kia products actually tend to have softer suspensions than their American counterparts, not necessarily because the roads are any better, but because Koreans simply demand it. Like me, they tend to dislike stiff sides.
Maybe Korean roads are as bad as ours . I know the Kia has a slightly stiffer suspension tuning and rides a little lower. I would pick the Ioniq for the looks alone.

Quick Reply: 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5