EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-22, 09:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That would nullify the $7500 federal tax credit. I really hate dealerships. You can figure the Ioniq online, I don't see why you can't do direct orders
Thats illegal in most states due to Franchise laws . I'm willing to be patient. No big deal. In the meantime, we use our Model 3 for medium distance trips
Old 04-13-22, 06:27 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like Hyundai pulls off a trifecta. Not surprising...the Ioniq 5 has been in very high demand everywhere.

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/04/13/...undai-ioniq-5/

Hyundai Ioniq 5 pulls off 2022 World Car of the Year hat trick

The EV took home the big one, along with design and EV awards

New York is the home of the annual World Car award ceremony, and this year it gave Hyundai quite a bit to celebrate. Its Ioniq 5 EV took home some serious honors Wednesday, grabbing nods in the design and electric car categories and topping it all off with the coveted overall 2022 World Car of the Year award.

"We are truly honored to receive these prestigious awards, which recognize the talent and hard work of all our people and business partners at Hyundai Motor Company. Our vision is to enable Progress for Humanity, and this endorsement of our approach will serve to embolden our commitment to make this vision a reality," said Jaehoon Chang, Hyundai president and CEO, in the company's announcement.

Officially, the Ioniq 5 is the 2022 World Car of the Year, World Electric Car of the Year and World Car Design of the Year — three of the six awards handed out. Mercedes-Benz (World Luxury Car of the Year), Audi (World Performance Car of the Year) and Toyota (World Urban Car of the Year) took home one apiece. Here's the full list of winners:

World Car of the Year / World Electric Vehicle of the Year / World Car Design of the Year: 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5

World Luxury Car of the Year: 2022 Mercedes-Benz EQS

World Performance Car of the Year: 2022 Audi E-Tron GT

World Urban Car of the Year: 2022 Toyota Yaris Cross

Hyundai to build an EV and battery plant in U.S.

Hyundai COO Jose Muñoz said Wednesday at the New York Auto Show that the company will build an assembly plant in the U.S. for EVs and their batteries, part of the company's $7.4 billion U.S. investment plan to build and upgrade facilities. Muñoz said a site for the new plant would be announced this year, Automotive News reported.

In addition, Hyundai will add electric vehicles (EV) in its Montgomery assembly line, marking its first EV production in the country, Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama said on Tuesday.

Hyundai said it plans to invest $300 million and hire an additional 200 workers to build the electrified Genesis GV70 crossover and hybrid version of the Santa Fe at its U.S. manufacturing center. The Santa Fe goes into productoin in October, and the GV70 before the year is out.
Old 04-13-22, 07:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,509 Likes on 1,649 Posts

good for hyundai but i imagine they're not actually selling that many due to production constraints.
Old 04-13-22, 08:30 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good for hyundai but i imagine they're not actually selling that many due to production constraints.
This just peaked my interest. So it's been roughly 2 months for the ev6/ioniq5 twins and they sold right under 12k in that time frame. Don't know if they can keep up that pace, or if they even have the plans to, but that's potentially 72k sold first year out and only available in select states I believe. No clue what other EV sales are like (we know Tesla has no rival on sales), but by itself thats pretty strong in my opinion.
Old 04-13-22, 08:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,758 Posts

I'm glad Hyundai is doing well with the Ioniq and EV 6. Both to me are really cool cars, and they show Hyundai's commitment to not just building a compliance car. They went full in, impressing reviewers like Savagegeese, Redline Reviews, Straight Pipes (who got their start reviewing their straight piped ISF), Throttle house and others. When my wife's current Ioniq comes off it's lease, these two will be on my radar. Hyundai has promised (in writing in my current lease) that 3 months before my lease is up they will cancel my last three payments if I go into another lease with them

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-13-22 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-14-22, 03:56 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

They are way better positioned then Toyota for EV securing battery and chip components. Toyota really mismanaged the whole EV thing.
Old 04-21-22, 10:31 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Fun drag race. Not surprising...the Tesla smokes just about everything and its the regular model.

Old 04-21-22, 10:47 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Fun drag race. Not surprising...the Tesla smokes just about everything and its the regular model.

https://youtu.be/WxiXxKe52xY
I think we already knew who was going to win. Tesla has the lighter weight and more optimized drivetrain. I-Pace is all comfort and luxury, the Ioniq is the EV equivalent economy box
Old 04-21-22, 10:50 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Pretty silly to have a drag race when the cars aren't at equal charge. The Model Y battery is at 75% charge while the Ioniq is at less than half. I-Pace is somewhere in between.
Old 04-21-22, 11:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,058 Likes on 2,570 Posts

I-Pace has been a massive sales flop not sure why.
Old 04-21-22, 11:40 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
Pretty silly to have a drag race when the cars aren't at equal charge. The Model Y battery is at 75% charge while the Ioniq is at less than half. I-Pace is somewhere in between.
I'd be curious on what impact the SoC has on speed. On my Model 3 Performance, anything over 80% will yield about 3.1s. At 50%, it will be about 3.4s to 60 and when it gets near 25%, it is 3.6s (all with rollout).

From the previous reviews, it seems lower SoC doesn't impact the Ioniq much either so it may not matter that much. Maybe the 800V architecture helps with this but low SoC is greatly exaggerated in well designed EVs.

I was also surprised at that Jag...faster than i thought it would be.
Old 04-21-22, 11:56 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'd be curious on what impact the SoC has on speed. On my Model 3 Performance, anything over 80% will yield about 3.1s. At 50%, it will be about 3.4s to 60 and when it gets near 25%, it is 3.6s (all with rollout).

From the previous reviews, it seems lower SoC doesn't impact the Ioniq much either so it may not matter that much. Maybe the 800V architecture helps with this but low SoC is greatly exaggerated in well designed EVs.

I was also surprised at that Jag...faster than i thought it would be.
Lower state of charge absolutely does affect performance, because the car will change its throttle response and power consumption to save battery life after a certain point. This isn't some hypothesis on my part, this is a fact of all EV's. No matter how you cut it, this drag race was a flop because all three cars were at different charge levels.

Among 3 cars with similar weight and power figures, it's no surprise that the car with the most charge won, while the one that had the lowest charge lost, and the car that was charged in between ended up in between.

"Previous reviews" comparing Ioniq 5 to Model Y LR 0-60 numbers at similar charges and similar conditions yielded them running essentially the same 0-60. You need the performance package to beat an Ioniq 5.

Last edited by Motorola; 04-22-22 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-22-22, 12:04 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
Lower state of charge absolutely does affect performance, because the car will change its throttle response to save battery life after a certain point. No matter how you cut it, this drag race was a flop.

It's no surprise that the car with the most charge won, while the one that had the lowest charge lost.
There will be other drag races I'm sure. I don't expect the Ioniq to beat the Model Y in any circumstances anyway. Model Y is also being severely limited by software too as a $2k boost option will open up significantly more horsepower and lower the 0-60 to 4s flat.

In the end, the Ioniq and I-Pace suffer the same issue as the Mach E in that after 60mph, the traps are really bad. They have nothing up too unfortunately. I wish these EV makers sacrificed a bit of low end to give a better top end like Tesla.
Old 04-22-22, 12:10 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I-Pace has been a massive sales flop not sure why.
Because it's expensive, has poor range, and Jaguar has always been a niche brand with super low production capacity that can barely pump volume.
Old 04-22-22, 12:24 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
There will be other drag races I'm sure. I don't expect the Ioniq to beat the Model Y in any circumstances anyway. Model Y is also being severely limited by software too as a $2k boost option will open up significantly more horsepower and lower the 0-60 to 4s flat.

In the end, the Ioniq and I-Pace suffer the same issue as the Mach E in that after 60mph, the traps are really bad. They have nothing up too unfortunately. I wish these EV makers sacrificed a bit of low end to give a better top end like Tesla.
That's because at trap speeds, horsepower matters more than torque, and the Model Y has some 60 more horses than an Ioniq 5 while also weighing a hundred pounds less.

Edmunds already tested both the Ioniq 5 and Model Y (without the performance pack) on the track, and the numbers are similar to to other tests/reviews. 0-60 is essentially the same but the the Tesla takes it at the quarter mile.

Quick Reply: 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5