EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-22, 12:42 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
That's because at trap speeds, horsepower matters more than torque, and the Model Y has some 60 more horses than an Ioniq 5 while also weighing a hundred pounds less.

Edmunds already tested both the Ioniq 5 and Model Y (without the performance pack) on the track, and the numbers are similar to to other tests/reviews. 0-60 is essentially the same but the the Tesla takes it at the quarter mile.
0-60 isn't much different. Most publications have the Y negligible faster but it's really who mashes the throttle first that will win the race up to 60. It doesn't take the quarter for the Y to start pulling hard on the Ioniq. Anything past 60 mph and the Y just runs away. Basically, freeway passing speeds there will be a big difference in feel. Also, isn't clear what you mean by Performance pack. There is a Performance model or an acceleration boost option. All regular Ys have access to the boost option as it's just a $2k software upgrade. The actual Performance models are a different trim vehicle.
Old 04-22-22, 05:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I-Pace has been a massive sales flop not sure why.
As he stated, Jaguar has never really marketed it. Plus the pricing

Old 04-22-22, 06:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,509 Likes on 1,649 Posts

somehow i don't think ioniq 5 owners care if their cars are faster or slower than a model y in a stupid drag race.
Old 04-22-22, 06:37 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
somehow i don't think ioniq 5 owners care if their cars are faster or slower than a model y in a stupid drag race.
It's all just for fun. Remember, we are buying the Ioniq 5 and not the Y...at least trying to. Impossible to find one right now
Old 04-22-22, 06:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,509 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Remember, we are buying the Ioniq 5 and not the Y...at least trying to. Impossible to find one right now
yes, i imagine finding one is like finding a unicorn right now. production limitations + high demand.

i'm sure you've said, but why are you getting an ioniq 5 instead of a model y (since you're obviously very pleased with your tesla 3p)?
Old 04-22-22, 07:10 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes, i imagine finding one is like finding a unicorn right now. production limitations + high demand.

i'm sure you've said, but why are you getting an ioniq 5 instead of a model y (since you're obviously very pleased with your tesla 3p)?
The Model Y starts at $63k. The Ioniq 5 starts at $56k - $7.5k = $49k. $14k difference is a pretty large difference between the two cars. Other than price, there are a few things i like better about the Ioniq 5. Ride comfort, looks, free charging for two years on EA, and the most important one of all...the wife wants the Ioniq instead

One of the reasons I'm really disappointed in the RZ is because it didn't have the range or charging speed to meet my needs. I think the car looks great but the range isn't anywhere close to a Model Y and I'm assuming that it will be around the same price. Sure I could go really high end with something like an iX but my wife also thrashes the car pretty good so she doesn't want something thats super nice.

Given all that, the Ioniq is a bargain at its price point.
Old 04-22-22, 07:21 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Model Y starts at $63k. The Ioniq 5 starts at $56k - $7.5k = $49k. $14k difference is a pretty large difference between the two cars. Other than price, there are a few things i like better about the Ioniq 5. Ride comfort, looks, free charging for two years on EA, and the most important one of all...the wife wants the Ioniq instead

One of the reasons I'm really disappointed in the RZ is because it didn't have the range or charging speed to meet my needs. I think the car looks great but the range isn't anywhere close to a Model Y and I'm assuming that it will be around the same price. Sure I could go really high end with something like an iX but my wife also thrashes the car pretty good so she doesn't want something thats super nice.

Given all that, the Ioniq is a bargain at its price point.
Plus the Ioniq 5 has an 800v battery pack. When more superchargers that support 800v begin to pop up, charging speeds being a speed bump will be pretty much gone. EA is promising more superchargers that will support this charging speed
Old 04-22-22, 07:28 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Plus the Ioniq 5 has an 800v battery pack. When more superchargers that support 800v begin to pop up, charging speeds being a speed bump will be pretty much gone
Yeah...that charging speed is something else especially here in warm California. I even looked at the Polestar 2 but its simply smaller than the Ioniq and Model Y. Its more of a Model 3 competitor so that a no go. The Ioniq 5 backseats are soooo big and recline far back too. The Model Y is the same with the back seats. Honestly, if there was no Ioniq 5, I would get the Y but then we would essentially have the same car as my Model 3...just bigger. I've pretty much switched brands every time I bought a car in the last 20 years so I don't have too much brand loyalty in my buying decision
Old 04-22-22, 07:43 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yeah...that charging speed is something else especially here in warm California. I even looked at the Polestar 2 but its simply smaller than the Ioniq and Model Y. Its more of a Model 3 competitor so that a no go. The Ioniq 5 backseats are soooo big and recline far back too. The Model Y is the same with the back seats. Honestly, if there was no Ioniq 5, I would get the Y but then we would essentially have the same car as my Model 3...just bigger. I've pretty much switched brands every time I bought a car in the last 20 years so I don't have too much brand loyalty in my buying decision
Yeah, the Polestar 2 is a compact car, about the same room as my IS350. I got it purely as a commuter car. I was able to fit 5 people in it on a trip to a relatives house, but I wouldn't recommend that for a long trip, like say from NorCal to SoCal! It fits my purpose perfectly. When I replace our Sienna in a couple of years, I'll definitely need something bigger
Old 04-22-22, 11:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I think we already knew who was going to win. Tesla has the lighter weight and more optimized drivetrain. I-Pace is all comfort and luxury, the Ioniq is the EV equivalent economy box
There should be a Corolla added to the race with the Tesla

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-22-22 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-22-22, 12:00 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There should a Corolla added to the race with the Tesla
LOL you are so bad. In a good way
Old 04-25-22, 10:38 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

So Europe is getting the bigger battery for next year like the U.S., but more importantly it looks like Hyundai addressed the widespread criticisms of a lack of a rear wiper by adding a digital rearview mirror.

2023 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Gets Larger 77.4 kWh Battery In Europe

Old 04-25-22, 10:50 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
So Europe is getting the bigger battery for next year like the U.S., but more importantly it looks like Hyundai addressed the widespread criticisms of a lack of a rear wiper by adding a digital rearview mirror.

2023 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Gets Larger 77.4 kWh Battery In Europe

Hopefully the camera for the digital rear view mirror has a dedicated sprayer because otherwise that will get covered in dirt/snow as well.
Old 04-25-22, 10:51 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I've seen a few Ioniq 5's in the DC area great looking vehicle definitely stands out.
Old 04-25-22, 10:52 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Hopefully the camera for the digital rear view mirror has a dedicated sprayer because otherwise that will get covered in dirt/snow as well.
It's embedded in the rear spoiler on the roof so I doubt that will be a major issue.

Quick Reply: 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5