EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla drops radar as Model 3 and Model Y get camera-only Autopilot

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-21, 12:03 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Haha Nice try. The Audi A8 a certified level 3 vehicle...so is the Honda something it is called.

The only vehicle on the market with level 3 autonomous technology presently available to consumers is the Audi A8Tesla is not ahead in any way.
You just proved my point. Those systems are only certified in their respective regions. Their tiny little bubbles. Tesla's system isn't quarantined in any way as it's vision based and can be used anywhere. Those systems need highly detailed maps and are only programmed for those specific regions. Waymo has been doing the same thing 3 years ago in Arizona and are far ahead of Audi and Honda but isn't available to use everywhere like Tesla's system. To say Tesla isn't ahead in computer vision based autonomous auto is highly ignorant. Computer based autonomous auto is trying to solve a very different issue than Lidar based autonomous auto focused on metro only.
Old 05-27-21, 12:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
You just proved my point. Those systems are only certified in their respective regions. Their tiny little bubbles. Tesla's system isn't quarantined in any way as it's vision based and can be used anywhere. Those systems need highly detailed maps and are only programmed for those specific regions. Waymo has been doing the same thing 3 years ago in Arizona and are far ahead of Audi and Honda but isn't available to use everywhere like Tesla's system. To say Tesla isn't ahead in computer vision based autonomous auto is highly ignorant. Computer based autonomous auto is trying to solve a very different issue than Lidar based autonomous auto focused on metro only.
Doesn't matter.. They are both level 3 certified. Mercedes Benz S Class and EQS are just waiting for regulatory approval for level 3 as well. They will be level 3 in Germany. When Tesla updates to Autosteer, it will still be a level 2 system.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-27-21 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-27-21, 12:14 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Doesn't matter.. They are both level 3 certified. Mercedes Benz S Class and EQS are just waiting for regulatory approval for level 3 as well. When Tesla updates to Autosteer, it will still be a level 2 system.
They are different engineering solutions with different goals and different methods. Those systems like Waymo are metro specific and only L3 in certain situations. Tesla's is currently L2 in all situations and trying to get to L3 in all situations using AI. Completely different solutions and to say one system is automatically better is ignorant. You can't drive those other systems through middle America as it won't have the map data to be L3..or even L2. It'll just wont work while Tesla doesn't need any map data to work as long as it has lanes and signs.

Tesla already has autosteer as it easily steers by itself so I don't what you are talking about. To meet regulations, they require you have your hands on the wheel in case the autosteer puts you in a dangerous situation.
Old 05-27-21, 12:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Tesla's is currently L2 in all situations and trying to get to L3 in all situations using AI. .
Mercedes, Audi and Honda are already at level 3...they don't have as far to go as Tesla who is still stuck in level 2.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Completely different solutions and to say one system is automatically better is ignorant.n.
I never said one was better. I just provided the facts of what cars or companies are certified as what to what level they are at and where is Tesla and what level.
Old 05-27-21, 12:48 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Mercedes, Audi and Honda are already at level 3...they don't have as far to go as Tesla who is still stuck in level 2.

I never said one was better. I just provided the facts of what cars or companies are certified as what to what level they are at and where is Tesla and what level.
Well being "ahead" in a certification doesn't mean much as its situational is my point. I could care less if Honda was L3 because only available in Japan...they are nowhere near L3 or even L2 here. It would take a massive effort on their end to make it even L2 here given the size of the US. Tesla is L2 everywhere so I would call that ahead. See...very situational.
Old 05-27-21, 01:12 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

This was big news announced by Tesla going forward with cameras only for autonomous driving.

This pioneering technology is another thing that puts Tesla way ahead of old automakers and why their company should be treated more as a tech enterprise rather than automotive.
Old 05-27-21, 01:15 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This was big news announced by Tesla going forward with cameras only for autonomous driving.

This pioneering technology is another thing that puts Tesla way ahead of old automakers and why their company should be treated more as a tech enterprise rather than automotive.
This is the primary reason why I trust their autonomous driving to other manufacturers, they are a tech company first.
Old 05-27-21, 03:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 05-27-21, 03:57 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Don’t underestimate Tesla.....Musk is driven by innovation rather than bottom line. I think for the most part they figured out the “car manufacturing” part and now are back to tech innovation. If any significant changes will happen in regards to autonomous driving, it will be Tesla leading the way.

What other company has the upside projections of Tesla? Almost none. Can they fail? Sure but right now chances are better that they will be doing well over next 10-20yrs at least.

CEO Elon Musk said on the company’s first-quarter earnings conference call in late April that the shift to an all-optical system, and developing its neural-network processing software, were critical elements to allowing cars to safely drive themselves in any setting. Wednesday’s announcement means the company has passed at least one of those milestones.

Most other auto makers are using a mix of cameras, laser-based radar and conventional radar to equip their self- driving machines.
In the long run, shares of whatever car company is the first to offer real autonomous driving are likely to take off. People who are bullish on Tesla stock expect it to be that company, although the combination of Tesla Vision and the latest Tesla software probably doesn’t offer actual autonomous driving yet. Human operators will still have to be behind the wheel. From a regulatory perspective, the new Tesla systems will probably qualify as level 3, or possibly level 4, autonomy. Level 5 autonomy is when drivers don’t have to pay attention, ever. For now, that level of autonomous driving is limited to a few robotaxi services in a couple of cities.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 05-27-21 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-27-21, 05:38 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

I am due to take delivery of a Long Range Y next month. When the news of radar-less 3/Y was announced a few days ago, I was confused and concerned. I don't use Autopilot much as it is but I questioned the wisdom of this move by Elon/Tesla. However, Tesla has a lot of smart engineers and developers so I will wait and see how well Tesla Vision performs in the real world.

Model Y deliveries have been delayed for most of the quarter due to this transition to Tesla Vision. Deliveries just resumed literally a few days ago and some early reports from forum members is that Autopilot worked fine for them on their 60-mile drive back home after picking up the car. This is a big shift on Tesla's part so they must have some degree of confidence in it.

I wondered the same thing, "what about fog and inclement weather"? Apparently, radar can struggle under those conditions too. Of course, so do cameras. I am curious as everyone else about how this impacts the accuracy of Autopilot, FSD, and driver/public safety. I am sure there will be plenty of YouTube videos coming to compare radar vs Tesla Vision. AI and machine learning helps doctors detect cancer earlier and more accurately, I am hoping Tesla AI can take over for radar well.
Old 05-27-21, 06:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Radar is highly prone to errors resulting in phantom images, Tesla has decided it is better to pursue vision only AI time will tell if they made the right choice. I do know that phantom braking plagues Tesla due to the radar sensor. Have to wonder what would/will happen if every car is bouncing around radar good luck trying to interpret that noisy mess.
Old 05-27-21, 06:10 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Does anyone really think they are that dumb where they didn’t think about inclement weather? I’m sure they will likely have some safeguard to disable it in inclement weather like other manufacturers already do.
Old 05-27-21, 06:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Does anyone really think they are that dumb where they didn’t think about inclement weather? I’m sure they will likely have some safeguard to disable it in inclement weather like other manufacturers already do.
They have thought it through. Autopilot currently works/does not work in heavy rain. So it really makes no difference
Old 05-27-21, 06:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Autopilot already does that it will disable if it can't see well enough. The beta works in heavy rain no problem, contrary to the claim a "single drop of rain" disables FSD. This is pure trolling.
Old 05-27-21, 06:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Love all the defense of Tesla saving a few bucks off vehicles when everyone else users radar.

But wait, IIHS and consumer reports have now dropped model 3's highest ratings:
https://www.reuters.com/technology/c...-3-2021-05-27/

Quick Reply: Tesla drops radar as Model 3 and Model Y get camera-only Autopilot