EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla drops radar as Model 3 and Model Y get camera-only Autopilot

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-21, 06:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Is CR now the accepted authority? It's hard to keep track I've heard repeatedly on this forum they suck and their ratings are worthless.
Old 05-27-21, 06:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Love all the defense of Tesla saving a few bucks off vehicles when everyone else users radar.

But wait, IIHS and consumer reports have now dropped model 3's highest ratings:
https://www.reuters.com/technology/c...-3-2021-05-27/
LOL, its religion at this point. Elon is a true genius.
Old 05-27-21, 06:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Is CR now the accepted authority? It's hard to keep track I've heard repeatedly on this forum they suck and their ratings are worthless.
oh i personally am not a big CR fan but you know a TON of people are.
but IIHS is a pseudo-govt entity, and a bit more serious.
Old 05-27-21, 06:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

oh i personally am not a big CR fan but you know a TON of people are.
but IIHS is a pseudo-govt entity, and a bit more serious.
IIHS will put Tesla right back on the recommended list shorty but we won't hear you talking about that you'll move on the next doom and gloom proclamation. Are you mad because you missed out on buying Tesla stock early or something? I don't know how else to explain your decade long hating on Tesla. And don't tell me that doesn't happen I went back and read your posts over the years it's quite unbelievable how many times you went over the top saying Tesla is finished. Had NOTHING good to say only that Tesla can't make money, can't sell cars they cost too much, can't survive without being bought out. I could go on and on. In that time Tesla grew exponentially and changed the entire auto industry.

But here I am again, reading your sarcastic, biting quips about how Tesla is garbage and does everything wrong.
Old 05-27-21, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

In that time Tesla grew exponentially and changed the entire auto industry.
Tesla did not change the auto industry. Government and national policies changed it.....primarily with CAFE laws, Global-Climate-Change alarms, and ignoring the fact that today's average ICE vehicle, on average, emits less than 1% of the pollutants the vehicles I learned to drive on a half-century ago.

Granted, Tesla DID lead the way in more-efficient electric motors and battery-packs for vehicles......but that was brought on mostly by government BEV demands.....and, to an extent, by the State of California (CARB).

And, with all due respect, let's get back to topic.......Tesla's autopilot. However, I won't comment much on that, though, because I'm not enough of an expert on the differences between the radar and camera-based systems to really express a credible opinion. I know a fair amount about radar from my aviation and storm-detection training (and a little about police radar), but not how it serves as a basis for self-driving vehicles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-27-21 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-27-21, 07:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Tesla did not change the auto industry.
well said MM.
Old 05-27-21, 07:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla did not change the auto industry..
Can I put this in my signature?
And, with all due respect, let's get back to topic.......Tesla's autopilot. However, I won't comment much on that, though, because I'm not enough of an expert on the differences between the radar and camera-based systems to really express a credible opinion. I know a fair amount about radar from my aviation and storm-detection training (and a little about police radar), but not how it serves as a basis for self-driving vehicles.
Do you think Tesla knows a fair bit about radar, lidar, vision, FSD, AI, data collection, neural networks? Or are they just stupid and removed radar to save $100.
Old 05-27-21, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

IMO, there's nothing wrong with the signature you have now.....two good products in the ES and Camry of that vintage.

Or are they just stupid and removed radar to save $100.
Like I said (if you had read it), I can't comment on the specific technicalities of radar. But, first, cost-cutting is rampant in the industry (we know that), and, Second, radar or cameras, either way, it can't be any more stupid than trying to drive from the rear seat like that young guy tried to do.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-27-21 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-27-21, 07:42 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

There's nothing wrong with the signature you have now.....two good products.
I think history will look back at that statement and chuckle.
Old 05-27-21, 07:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think history will look back at that statement and chuckle.
I don't know very many people who are chuckling at the 2000 ES or Camry....nor who will be likely to do so in the future. They were (and still are) two good products, although the very best Camrys were probably made from 1992-96.

One thing that people probably WILL chuckle about, though, as history rolls along, was Musk's actions and behavior.
Old 05-28-21, 05:22 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Do you think Tesla knows a fair bit about radar, lidar, vision, FSD, AI, data collection, neural networks? Or are they just stupid and removed radar to save $100.
I still can't get an answer why S and X models will still have radars in new models? How does that benefit tesla to spend more money in putting in a radar and it won't be used?
Old 05-28-21, 06:43 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

There's a few points I'd make here:
1. Tesla deserves all the criticism they get on FSD because it's an option people can pay for, yet it is so ridiculously far past the original date Elon speculated (end of 2018 I think).
2. I have a hard time saying it's a scam when they're pouring the kind of resources into it that they are. Autopilot has improved drastically in the 2.5 years we've had the car, but how close it is to FSD is anyone's guess.
3. Personally I view the drop of radar as a good thing. It's been a contributing factor in phantom braking and crashing into stationary objects, and from what they've stated in the past the granularity is just not ideal. Honestly we have no idea how much the radar is even being used currently. The autopilot section of the Model S and Model 3 pages on their website are identical with no mention of radar, so I wouldn't be surprised if S/X drop it as well at some point.
4. I'm certain we would not have any of the cool EVs coming out yet without Tesla pushing other manufacturers. All of these cars are responses to Tesla, so yes they revolutionized the industry by getting everyone over the hump from Spark ev pieces of crap and functional yet lame and ugly Leafs to real electrified cars people actually like much more quickly.
Old 05-28-21, 07:00 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blaze876
I still can't get an answer why S and X models will still have radars in new models? How does that benefit tesla to spend more money in putting in a radar and it won't be used?
Someone on Twitter may ask him about this (or already has) he often responds to questions. Don't know why Tesla would do this doesn't make sense, could be that the hardware is already baked in and will be removed later. Keep in mind Tesla is a fast moving company they make running changes FAR more often than any other auto maker. This is mostly good sometimes bad.

I predict FSD is 2 years out to being a reality. Elon time is a real thing, what he wants to do and what is currently possible often don't align. Steve Jobs was like this to the point he got kicked out of Apple.
Old 05-28-21, 07:11 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Someone on Twitter may ask him about this (or already has) he often responds to questions. Don't know why Tesla would do this doesn't make sense, could be that the hardware is already baked in and will be removed later. Keep in mind Tesla is a fast moving company they make running changes FAR more often than any other auto maker. This is mostly good sometimes bad.

I predict FSD is 2 years out to being a reality. Elon time is a real thing, what he wants to do and what is currently possible often don't align. Steve Jobs was like this to the point he got kicked out of Apple.
they removed it from the 3/Y, I am assuming that is not sudden, it has been in the plan for months. If that's the case and the Model s/x refresh was not too long ago, they still aren't even available for sale... it seems strange they wouldn't leave it out of those models as well.

Makes me wonder if it is relating to chip shortages. I read Tesla had a stock pile of model 3/y not being delivered because of a missing part. Could it have been the radar and due to this that's what made them decide to do away with it? Kind of a conspiracy theory but nothing else makes sense.

Imo actual self driving on any road (not mapped) is 10 years out minimum by any manufacturer.
Old 05-28-21, 07:42 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Love all the defense of Tesla saving a few bucks off vehicles when everyone else users radar.

But wait, IIHS and consumer reports have now dropped model 3's highest ratings:
https://www.reuters.com/technology/c...-3-2021-05-27/
The IIHS dropped the highest rating because it hasn't had the chance to test them without the radar. The safety features are all still there and will work the same as they do now as the current system still mostly uses vision. Tesla fully expects to receive the same marks once IIHS retests the newer cars.

https://electrek.co/2021/05/28/tesla...-media-saying/

Reuters really is as bad as the trolls sometimes.

Quick Reply: Tesla drops radar as Model 3 and Model Y get camera-only Autopilot