EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla drops radar as Model 3 and Model Y get camera-only Autopilot

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-21, 10:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Tesla has their issues and challenges but I personally feel it is overblown by media.
Great post but on this point the problem is tesla's overblown claims of "full self-driving" and "autopilot". No other manufacturer makes such claims or calls their features such things. I don't imagine pilots of commercial airlines with their hands lightly on the yoke and in full attention in case the plane does the wrong thing. With big claims comes big responsibility.
Old 05-31-21, 10:19 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Autopilot in an aircraft requires the pilot to supervise at all times.
Old 05-31-21, 10:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Autopilot in an aircraft requires the pilot to supervise at all times.
'supervise' is different than ready to take over at a moment's notice. They're monitoring fuel, instruments, flight plan, gps, talking to ATC, talking with crew and other pilots, etc. or should be.

Great thread here:
https://www.quora.com/What-do-pilots...e-in-autopilot

this part kinda scary

A story I have heard, third hand, told about a person flying a Cirrus SR-22, a high tech, high performance, single engine, piston airplane, who landed at an airport in the Denver Area. The pilot asked to be topped off. The lineman opened one tank, and it was full. Opened the other tank and it was nearly starved of fuel. The lineman queried the pilot about fuel management, the pilot responded, that he was watching a movie!
Old 05-31-21, 11:09 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Check this out for turds and giggles. Someone compiled all the cringe from the genius scam artist.

https://motherfrunker.ca/fsd/
Old 05-31-21, 12:50 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Great post but on this point the problem is tesla's overblown claims of "full self-driving" and "autopilot". No other manufacturer makes such claims or calls their features such things. I don't imagine pilots of commercial airlines with their hands lightly on the yoke and in full attention in case the plane does the wrong thing. With big claims comes big responsibility.
I hear what you're saying, but I never took Autopilot and Full Self-Driving literally. I expected some degree of marketing fluff, just like "wireless charging" -- you still have to physically lay a device on the charging pad.

That said, the reaction from colleagues and friends at work was sheer disbelief when they saw the Model S come to me from the far end of the parking lot -- backing out of the space, navigating two speed bumps and three turns, and even pausing when it detected someone walking across its path. That was pretty much full self-driving as no one was in the car.

AP and FSD can be amazing at times or fraught with danger. I have said it before and repeat it again, I would never trust my life to AP or FSD, but the feature has a place and can be useful. My daily commute doesn't really require AP but I've taken trips where I used radar AP for 50 miles and it was absolutely perfect, even at night. I think I've shared a time where I was exiting the freeway with FSD and the car detected construction cones around the bend and reacted faster than I could, even though I was aware and monitoring the road too. The marketing of AP/FSD may sound extreme but, in my experience, the car can do what is claimed, not 100% of the time but it is dang pretty impressive from what I've seen first-hand and has made me a believer that it can enhance driver safety. To piggyback on your pilot analogy, I treat AP/FSD as a co-pilot or sidekick that's watching out for me but I have absolute veto power.
Old 06-02-21, 06:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Funny how big a flip flop...

"Good thing about radar is that, unlike lidar ... it can see through rain, snow, fog and dust," Musk tweeted in 2016. Tesla also said radar "plays an essential role in detecting and responding to forward objects."

and this:

The loss of radar degrades driver-support features enough "to render them less usable to unusable in adverse weather conditions," Steven Shladover, a research engineer at Berkeley University of California.

"It makes no sense whatsoever technologically - only a way of reducing cost of components," he said.
more here https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...fe-2021-06-02/