EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-21, 09:36 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,841 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i already answered that in post #126.
the plaid will win a drag race i presume, and is much better on range, but the interior and handling of the taycan is on another level.
Price comparison.
so i looked up the pricing.

base now $129.990
base wheels are 19s, if you want 21s, that's $4500
if you want anything other than white, that's $1500, or $2500 if you want red
if you want any interior other than black, that's $2000
if you want the 'full self driving package' that's $10000
so it's easy to spend well over $140K

a loaded one with say 7% sales tax will be $160K out the door.
$160,000 Tesla competes with what at that price point? Obviously you think the car is way too expensive but as you know pricing is relative.
Old 06-10-21, 09:50 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

no they're not, i showed how expensive in u.s. $ the plaid can be with just fsd, 21" wheels, etc. the car STARTS at $130k if you want white, 19s, no fsd, black interior.
I guess then you have to compare with a $240k Taycan Turbo S? Nothing really competes with the Plaid as its more premium sport vs. luxury sport and its much much more powerful than the Taycan Turbo S. $160k fully loaded with taxes doesn't seem too expensive for the having a toy car thats probably the fastest accelerating production daily driver ever made (at least in the quarter mile). This thing will have a 150k mile powertrain warranty (as standard on all Model S). Again, a toy for the rich thats a relative bargain compared to other supercars.
Old 06-10-21, 09:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I don't like "brand" I like technology.

So help me clarify the current CL narrative. Tesla loses money on every car, that's bad. Tesla raises prices on cars. That's also bad they should keep losing money. Tesla has dropped prices "40 times" in the last year. That's very bad. Tesla is about to have the fastest production car ever built. That's bad.

What did I miss.
I think one point that was missed (and I have brought up this issue more then once) is that a good part of Tesla's money-drain can be traced to the fact that they refuse to operate with privately-owned dealerships. They insist on company-owned-operated facilities for showrooms, service-departments, body-shops......everything. With that company-owned kingdom, of course, comes all of the costs and overhead...it is not absorbed by independent dealerships, like with most other automakers.
Old 06-10-21, 10:16 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,841 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think one point that was missed (and I have brought up this issue more then once) is that a good part of Tesla's money-drain can be traced to the fact that they refuse to operate with privately-owned dealerships. They insist on company-owned-operated facilities for showrooms, service-departments, body-shops......everything. With that company-owned kingdom, of course, comes all of the costs and overhead...it is not absorbed by independent dealerships, like with most other automakers.
How much money as a percentage could Tesla save by using the dealership model? Also if dealerships make money why is Tesla according to you losing money doing it in house?
Old 06-10-21, 01:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
How much money as a percentage could Tesla save by using the dealership model? Also if dealerships make money why is Tesla according to you losing money doing it in house?
There is private investment money to be made in a dealer.Mercedes is selling 25 of their own private dealers for $1.2 billion.
Old 06-10-21, 01:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

the plaid will win a drag race i presume, and is much better on range, but the interior and handling of the taycan is on another level.

https://youtu.be/4i0njErLPKA
Tesla has no chance against Porsche
Old 06-10-21, 01:33 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What a silly comment, especially with no context. no chance against Porsche in what dimension? range? price? sales? speed?
Old 06-10-21, 01:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
What a silly comment, especially with no context. no chance against Porsche in what dimension? range? price? sales? speed?
Charging 6 figures for their cars.
Old 06-10-21, 01:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Yep. I'm not EV person but I'd sure as hell choose a Porsche over a Tesla if I were spending that kind of money.
Old 06-10-21, 01:47 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Okay...but all those wonderful P100Ds or Model X you see everywhere all cost north of $100k so it is what it is. This version, which humiliates the Taycan in speed, is about roughly $10-20k more so not really worried about demand. But we'll see who is right.
Old 06-10-21, 01:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Okay...but all those wonderful P100Ds or Model X you see everywhere all cost north of $100k so it is what it is. This version, which humiliates the Taycan in speed, is about roughly $10-20k more so not really worried about demand. But we'll see who is right.
But is not all about speed.
Old 06-10-21, 02:01 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 655 Likes on 409 Posts

Jill, have you seen the pics of all the undelivered new Model S at the factory? There are literally hundreds of them just waiting to be sent out.

The Model S Plaid is a relative bargain, and there are a lot of people with both the means and the inclination to acquire one of these.
Old 06-10-21, 02:07 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

But is not all about speed.
Speed is a big factor in buying a car like the Plaid. Same as the M series and the AMG. Why get a Turbo S vs. a regular Taycan 4S when the only differentiation is speed...because its highly important to its core buying group. My point is that the Plaid will have no issues selling a boatload (or parking load in this case) of cars to those that are interested in having a fast car that will outrun most supercars.
Old 06-10-21, 02:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
. My point is that the Plaid will have no issues selling a boatload.
They will sell some, then sales will tank. The S is played out. It’s an old chassis. Mercedes and Porsche have a more compelling product at 6 figures+
Old 06-10-21, 02:11 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think what she means is that a Model S priced at 6 figures will not sell at all and will be a total flop and failure in terms of sales.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid