EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-22, 11:40 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Edited my post to include pics. Unfortunately this is what I get to look at until I get a new panel.
Yeah, no excuse for that. You should tweet that pic to Elon, maybe he'll offer you $5K to stop
Old 01-28-22, 11:42 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,978 Likes on 2,506 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
True, that's why I mentioned the penny pinching.
I don't think this is a deliberate decision if it was you'd see cost cutting all over the car but you don't. Watching the Plaid tear down by Munro, Tesla put a whole lot of money into the car there are so many custom parts and designs. For whatever reason you can come up with Tesla has no motivation to improve their defect rate.
Yeah, no excuse for that. You should tweet that pic to Elon, maybe he'll offer you $5K to stop
Hah, doubtful. Elon is the most chill CEO ever, it is (or was) technically breaking NDA to post any FSD beta vids but he basically said we're not going to do anything about it. If that was for example Apple you'd never get away with it they would come after you with a vengeance. Heck Apple comes after shops for having schematics.
Old 01-28-22, 11:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I don't think this is a deliberate decision if it was you'd see cost cutting all over the car but you don't. Watching the Plaid tear down by Munro, Tesla put a whole lot of money into the car there are so many custom parts and designs. For whatever reason you can come up with Tesla has no motivation to improve their defect rate.

Hah, doubtful. Elon is the most chill CEO ever, it is (or was) technically breaking NDA to post any FSD beta vids but he basically said we're not going to do anything about it. If that was for example Apple you'd never get away with it they would come after you with a vengeance. Heck Apple comes after shops for having schematics.
When I mentioned cost cutting, it had to do with sending replacement parts with the panel. There are multiple break points when replacing a panel, they should have sent all the parts that may be needed. as far as Tesla not having motivation, that's probably the fault of their customer base accepting the cars with defects. If I had a Tesla delivered to me with defects, I would refuse delivery
Old 01-28-22, 11:49 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

It's always the fault of the customer ultimately, can always buy from a competitor.

Last edited by LeX2K; 01-28-22 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-28-22, 11:55 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

When I mentioned cost cutting, it had to do with sending replacement parts with the panel. There are multiple break points when replacing a panel, they should have sent all the parts that may be needed. as far as Tesla not having motivation, that's probably the fault of their customer base accepting the cars with defects. If I had a Tesla delivered to me with defects, I would refuse delivery
At the end of the day it doesn't matter (except being an eye and ear sore) since the whole panel needs to be replaced again since the door opening button doesn't work. I'm just happy the panel was the problem and I don't have to look at the misaligned door anymore since it is right in front of my face and I saw it every time I drove.

The other unfortunate thing is he wasn't able to fix my hatch misalignment and said that I would have to bring it in to a Telsa body shop or service center to fix because my fix of turning the little bumpers to max out the left side should be how it is fixed. The other thing I need to have looked into is the frunk barely closes so I don't even use it. I think it's a design issue because a lot of people have the same issue.
Old 01-28-22, 11:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Edited my post to include pics. Unfortunately this is what I get to look at until I get a new panel.
man... that's bad especially on a car this expensive. the rattling window and missing trim is bad enough but with the rubber seal missing you'll likely have tons of wind noise too.

also, from the pics, with the upper dash top now aligned even with that door top, the next part down, where the cf would go, doesn't align with that next area down like it did when the top didn't align! not important, but maybe you could share a pic of how it looks on the passenger side.

anyway, i hope it gets resolved very quickly and properly.

No, they did it because some states banned Tesla dealership's as well as selling through existing dealerships. Texas is one one of those states, which is ironic they setup their headquarters in Austin. You can Google it
no, respectfully you have that all wrong. tesla never had any interest in selling through traditional dealerships, so they wanted to open their own stores and sell direct. however, dealers are very powerful in most states and they've influenced laws to be in place that prevent car manufacturers from selling 'direct' to consumers, either with or without company owned stores. tesla proceeded with their plan nationwide, but in some states like texas, the dealers prevailed and texas cannot sell cars there, but consumers can still buy online and go pick up the car in a neighboring state. kind of ironic that tesla moved hq to texas.

Because those companies (probably Toyota in your case) were around decades before you bought your first car from them and all the manufacturing kinks were all worked out. Tesla didn't start mass manufacturing until the Model 3. Look how long it took Hyundai/Kia to finally start getting thing right
nevertheless, the S has been around a decade and this plaid is $130K. granted the model S of today is no doubt RADICALLY different than the car they made a decade ago even if it looks similar from the exterior in particular. but they can CERTAINLY afford to have a detailed check list and measuring system during manufacturing, and certainly when the car is supposedly ready to ship to prevent such horrible blunders. it is inexcusable.

my LC500 was also 6 figures. being a lexus, it arrived with ZERO flaws that i could find. that's how you do it.
Old 01-28-22, 12:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
It's always the fault of the customer ultimately, can always by from a competitor.
seriously? so if you go in for open heart surgery and the surgeon botches the procedure and you die, i guess it was "ultimately your fault" for not picking a different doctor.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-28-22 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-28-22, 12:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
man... that's bad especially on a car this expensive. the rattling window and missing trim is bad enough but with the rubber seal missing you'll likely have tons of wind noise too.

also, from the pics, with the upper dash top now aligned even with that door top, the next part down, where the cf would go, doesn't align with that next area down like it did when the top didn't align! not important, but maybe you could share a pic of how it looks on the passenger side.

no, respectfully you have that all wrong. tesla never had any interest in selling through traditional dealerships, so they wanted to open their own stores and sell direct. however, dealers are very powerful in most states and they've influenced laws to be in place that prevent car manufacturers from selling 'direct' to consumers, either with or without company owned stores. tesla proceeded with their plan nationwide, but in some states like texas, the dealers prevailed and texas cannot sell cars there, but consumers can still buy online and go pick up the car in a neighboring state. kind of ironic that tesla moved hq to texas.

nevertheless, the S has been around a decade and this plaid is $130K. granted the model S of today is no doubt RADICALLY different than the car they made a decade ago even if it looks similar from the exterior in particular. but they can CERTAINLY afford to have a detailed check list and measuring system during manufacturing, and certainly when the car is supposedly ready to ship to prevent such horrible blunders. it is inexcusable.

my LC500 was also 6 figures. being a lexus, it arrived with ZERO flaws that i could find. that's how you do it.
Thanks for correcting the first part, I already conceded on the second
Old 01-28-22, 12:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

seriously? so if you go in for open heart surgery and the surgeon botches the procedure and you die, i guess it was "ultimate your fault" for not picking a different doctor.
You consider yourself a customer when you go to a doctor? This is the dumbest comparison I've seen maybe ever.
Old 01-28-22, 12:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

This new Tesla S is not the same the original model. Look at some of the items that were cost cut...for instance, height adjustable shoulder belt anchors...and the courtesy door lights on the door. Who know that has be cost cut and lurking under the all the door panels
Old 01-28-22, 12:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This new Tesla S is not the same the original model. Look at some of the items that were cost cut...for instance, height adjustable shoulder belt anchors...and the courtesy door lights on the door. Who know that has be cost cut and lurking under the all the door panels
they even cut off half the steering wheel and removed all the stalks.
Old 01-28-22, 12:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

seriously? so if you go in for open heart surgery and the surgeon botches the procedure and you die, i guess it was "ultimate your fault" for not picking a different doctor.
Well, in a way it is. I know this is off subject, but last year when my 88 year old father was suffering from mini heart attacks that kept putting him back in the hospital, his Cardiologist recommended Angioplasty, which is extremely risky at his age and condition, where he has compromised kidney function. We questioned him, did research and consulted other doctors and thankfully we found another solution that was way less risky. Had we gone forward with his doctors recommendation, he probably would not be here today because the issue had nothing to do with blockage in his arteries
Old 01-28-22, 12:13 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

I think the chrome trim covers the top part of the door because it is off a lot, there is no way it could be off that much if the top part is flush.

Here is a pic of the passenger side, it looks good and lines up pretty well to me.

Old 01-28-22, 12:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for posting that (and quick) - yes, looks good. hopefully the driver's side will look just the same very soon.

Old 01-28-22, 12:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think the chrome trim covers the top part of the door because it is off a lot, there is no way it could be off that much if the top part is flush.

Here is a pic of the passenger side, it looks good and lines up pretty well to me.

Do you like,. love or regret you're purchase?

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid