EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-22, 07:55 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
I loved reading your overall great feedback! There seem to be so many improvements over the previous model that I have - the quiet, the sound system etc.

​​​​​​Do you still dislike the yoke as much as most people do in the beginning?
I never disliked the yoke and my wife and I both like it better in most circumstances. I recently did a road trip in my X7 and the curved bottom of the wheel wasn’t as comfortable when resting your hand there compared to the big flat bottom of the yoke.

Where the yoke really sucks is when you have to do a three point turn. It is also likely pretty dangerous if you have to make quick adjustments like if you lose control or avoiding a potential accident. Your muscle memory for grabbing a wheel is tough to overcome and I could see it being very difficult if you are spinning to be able to recover when you grab air vs the top of a steering wheel. However, while that is such a small occurrence that is likely not going to affect most people (hopefully), it could be a matter of lie and death too.

Last edited by patgilm; 03-02-22 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-02-22, 07:56 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bowser
You can. it can be set both on the car and on the app
Can you set a departure time so that it starts charging when it thinks it can finish by the departure time? Also, can you have it precondition by the departure time so the battery and car are warmed up for optimal use?
Old 03-02-22, 08:23 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,109 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by bowser
You can. it can be set both on the car and on the app
Yep, I'm just too lazy to set the schedule. Plus I have a routine anyway, I go out and plug both our cars in at 9PM, and hang out with our German Shepherd before I put her to bed. Yes, I have to physically walk with her to her house on our deck or she will sit at the window and bark, cry and whimper. Big baby
Old 03-02-22, 08:29 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Can you set a departure time so that it starts charging when it thinks it can finish by the departure time? Also, can you have it precondition by the departure time so the battery and car are warmed up for optimal use?
You can't do that in the app (the app is still a work in progress....a lot of work in progress), but when you use the trip planner it will precondition the battery when heading to a charger. Also you can remotely turn on climate through the app. I have noticed that if I leave the charger in, on cold days the "cold battery" symbol will not show up, even if the car was finished charging hours ago
Old 03-02-22, 10:35 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Actually, the app does support battery preconditioning.
I have my departure times set for each day. So it will precondition for you.
Old 03-02-22, 10:40 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You can't do that in the app (the app is still a work in progress....a lot of work in progress), but when you use the trip planner it will precondition the battery when heading to a charger. Also you can remotely turn on climate through the app. I have noticed that if I leave the charger in, on cold days the "cold battery" symbol will not show up, even if the car was finished charging hours ago

Hit the climate icon on app as if you were to heat up the cabin….Just beneath it there is a timers icon and go from there. You can set each day to different times.

Old 03-02-22, 10:43 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MDlexus
Hit the climate icon on app as if you were to heat up the cabin….Just beneath it there is a timers icon and go from there. You can set each day to different times.
Cool! I don't use the app much, I'll check it out
Old 03-02-22, 02:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

There are some pretty nice full wheel options popping up for the S & X and they are coming down in price.
Old 03-02-22, 08:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
That’s what I plan on doing in the future. I learned from my mistake.
i also tend to wait a week or so before installing the updates. god forbids something happens with the sw i don't want to be the one "testing" it
Old 03-02-22, 08:33 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i also tend to wait a week or so before installing the updates. god forbids something happens with the sw i don't want to be the one "testing" it
Thats smart and I may do the same in the future. I just mentioned in another thread that my touch screen has been acting funky after the last update and my memory seat doesn’t work anymore (but oddly my wife’s does). I even did a reset and it still doesn’t work.
Old 03-03-22, 08:00 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I never disliked the yoke and my wife and I both like it better in most circumstances. I recently did a road trip in my X7 and the curved bottom of the wheel wasn’t as comfortable when resting your hand there compared to the big flat bottom of the yoke.

Where the yoke really sucks is when you have to do a three point turn. It is also likely pretty dangerous if you have to make quick adjustments like if you lose control or avoiding a potential accident. Your muscle memory for grabbing a wheel is tough to overcome and I could see it being very difficult if you are spinning to be able to recover when you grab air vs the top of a steering wheel. However, while that is such a small occurrence that is likely not going to affect most people (hopefully), it could be a matter of lie and death too.
So the lack of stalks is not a big deal as far as you're concerned? 👍
Old 03-03-22, 08:36 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

this should an option from Tesla itself. those wheels are about 3k. the yoke now comes in the model X too.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
There are some pretty nice full wheel options popping up for the S & X and they are coming down in price.
Old 03-03-22, 09:05 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UZ214
this should an option from Tesla itself. those wheels are about 3k. the yoke now comes in the model X too.
Elon my friend. Elon...
Old 03-03-22, 12:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
Actually I saw a company selling nice carbon fiber/leather ones for $1,600. Theyre getting cheaper.

But yes, should be an option from Tesla.

With a real wheel, I would consider a Plaid.
Old 03-03-22, 12:52 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Actually I saw a company selling nice carbon fiber/leather ones for $1,600. Theyre getting cheaper.

But yes, should be an option from Tesla.

With a real wheel, I would consider a Plaid.
https://electrek.co/2022/02/24/tesla...r-round-wheel/

Be careful what you wish for...

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid