EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 02:13 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

While we love our '18 Model 3 Mid Range and plan to buy another Tesla, the issues with your high end Tesla are flat out unacceptable and embarrassing.
Good luck.
Old 03-27-22, 02:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,169 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Funny you mention predictive shifting. I just got back from the grocery store and there is a car parked 24 inches in front of me and the predictive shifting says to tap the brake to drive. I’m thinking how the heck does it not see the car parked right in front of me. I got a scare one time so now I am more aware. I think I just bought one of the dumb ones or something. Since the software is new I would expect it to get better.
Yeah when I first heard about predictive shifting, I was like...OK that's definitely something that could go really sideways, all it takes is once. No, that definitely would not make me comfortable
Old 03-27-22, 03:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Uhhh no. The software is all new for the new Model S and on completely new hardware.
no way the software is 'all new' they have to re-use a bunch of the software from the other models. the ui may be different of course but that's just one part. and of course they had to make a lot of changes because of no stalks, the auto drive/reverse, etc.

Just because you hate Tesla and literally criticize then at every turn, every thread at every opportunity, doesn't mean everything you say is true.
that's simply not true and you know it. see my sig. the platforms are awesome. the interior and build quality are horrible, and the full self driving package has been pure fraud, imo. but i don't tend to have stock in companies i hate.

People actually have good Model S out there.
sure, no doubt many don't have issues, typically after initial quality problems are dealt with.

but this plaid, being the flagship, is absolutely inexcusably bad. unless they have NO quality checks, how could they leave the factory with so many PHYSICAL defects? anyone on clublexus could find a lot of these defects in seconds.

patgilm, if you'd known you'd have all the issues with the plaid when you looking at buying one, would you still have bought it?
Old 03-27-22, 03:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,976 Likes on 2,506 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but i don't tend to have stock in companies i hate.
For some reason my stock gains don't care if I love or hate a company.
Old 03-27-22, 03:51 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

patgilm, if you'd known you'd have all the issues with the plaid when you looking at buying one, would you still have bought it?
I think I still would but not the one I bought. I really wanted to try something new and I really like a lot of what the car has to offer. The things that bothered me most was the door panel being unfiinished for two months after they fixed it (as well as how they handled it) and the right rear passenger door looking like it got kicked around the factory floor before installing it. There really is no excuse for those two things in my opinion and even though I knew the car would have fit and finish issues, these two things are beyond that. My trunk is not aligned correctly and they want me to take it to a body shop to fix it but since I am able to make it good enough for me, I'm not doing that. The creaking, squeaking and rattling I also expected so no big deal there. My expectations were low already from my research so this was on par with that.

What I wasn't expecting was and what annoys me the most is the software because I have read so much about how far ahead they are compared to everyone else and how great the over the air updates are. My expectations in this area were high based on my research and it has been a complete letdown. When my wife who isn't a car person realizes and points out all the faults compared to our other cars, you know there is a problem. Some of the things are just so dumb. One thing for instance, is that in the center console they wired the light backwards where you open the big cubby and the light inside turns off instead of on. Almost all of the new Model S' have this issue, how dumb is that? A lot of people want it fixed but I don't really care about that stuff but it is just so ridiculous to mess that up. I do expect and hope the car gets smarter and better as time goes on but we will see.

The real question is do I regret not getting a new M5 over the Plaid and I have to say, I still do not regret it...yet.

Old 03-27-22, 03:59 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,169 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I think I still would but not the one I bought. I really wanted to try something new and I really like a lot of what the car has to offer. The things that bothered me most was the door panel being unfiinished for two months after they fixed it (as well as how they handled it) and the right rear passenger door looking like it got kicked around the factory floor before installing it. There really is no excuse for those two things in my opinion and even though I knew the car would have fit and finish issues, these two things are beyond that. My trunk is not aligned correctly and they want me to take it to a body shop to fix it but since I am able to make it good enough for me, I'm not doing that. The creaking, squeaking and rattling I also expected so no big deal there. My expectations were low already from my research so this was on par with that.

What I wasn't expecting was and what annoys me the most is the software because I have read so much about how far ahead they are compared to everyone else and how great the over the air updates are. My expectations in this area were high based on my research and it has been a complete letdown. When my wife who isn't a car person realizes and points out all the faults compared to our other cars, you know there is a problem. Some of the things are just so dumb. One thing for instance, is that in the center console they wired the light backwards where you open the big cubby and the light inside turns off instead of on. Almost all of the new Model S' have this issue, how dumb is that? A lot of people want it fixed but I don't really care about that stuff but it is just so ridiculous to mess that up. I do expect and hope the car gets smarter and better as time goes on but we will see.

The real question is do I regret not getting a new M5 over the Plaid and I have to say, I still do not regret it...yet.
Your last statement tells me a lot. Because fit and finish as well as driving experience are both very high for an M5
Old 03-27-22, 04:01 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

The v11 software for the new Model S is actually very new due to it also using a completely new MCU, having to incorporate smart shift, and a landscape vs. portrait UI. I'm sorry to hear they haven't fixed the bugs yet on the software yet. I'm surprised you mention its laggy as the Model 3/Y have really responsive interfaces. The most recent Model 3/Y have now begun shipping with a CPU that is 3x faster so its become even more responsive. Maybe try getting a test drive in a 2nd year Model S and see if they improve things
Old 03-27-22, 04:06 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
The v11 software for the new Model S is actually very new due to it also using a completely new MCU, having to incorporate smart shift, and a landscape vs. portrait UI. I'm sorry to hear they haven't fixed the bugs yet on the software yet. I'm surprised you mention its laggy as the Model 3/Y have really responsive interfaces. The most recent Model 3/Y have now begun shipping with a CPU that is 3x faster so its become even more responsive. Maybe try getting a test drive in a 2nd year Model S and see if they improve things
Let's put it this way, there are many instances where I have to wait a while to even listen to the radio because it doesn't show up immediately and that is when the screen is actually on. Then when I select a radio station I sometimes have to touch the station more than once because it doesn't take from one or two touches. There are also instances where XM doesn't even show up for some odd reason and fails to show up the entire drive so you can't even access it. Then after I park it for a while and drive it later it magically shows up.
Old 03-27-22, 04:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Let's put it this way, there are many instances where I have to wait a while to even listen to the radio because it doesn't show up immediately and that is when the screen is actually on. Then when I select a radio station I sometimes have to touch the station more than once because it doesn't take from one or two touches. There are also instances where XM doesn't even show up for some odd reason and fails to show up the entire drive so you can't even access it. Then after I park it for a while and drive it later it magically shows up.
Sounds like you got a beta car. Good news is that I bet you could sell it for near what you bought it. Tesla resale is insane right now. See if you can get the M5 Comp and be done with it I say.
Old 03-27-22, 04:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I do expect and hope the car gets smarter and better as time goes on but we will see..
Do you like the over the updates? What is your opinion on that?

What I wasn't expecting was and what annoys me the most is the software because I have read so much about how far ahead they are compared to everyone else and how great the over the air updates are. My expectations in this area were high based on my research and it has been a complete letdown. When my wife who isn't a car person realizes and points out all the faults compared to our other cars, you know there is a problem. Some of the things are just so dumb. One thing for instance, is that in the center console they wired the light backwards where you open the big cubby and the light inside turns off instead of on. Almost all of the new Model S' have this issue, how dumb is that? A lot of people want it fixed but I don't really care about that stuff but it is just so ridiculous to mess that up. I do expect and hope the car gets smarter and better as time goes on but we will see..
Very unfortunate to hear. So Tesla is far ahead, but I see some bad trouble spots in CR

Old 03-27-22, 04:50 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Sounds like you got a beta car. Good news is that I bet you could sell it for near what you bought it. Tesla resale is insane right now. See if you can get the M5 Comp and be done with it I say.
Nah, the smooth effortless torque of an EV makes it hard to go back to an ICE car for a daily driver for me and the wait is too long for another Plaid right now. In a couple years I may get another Plaid with the newer lights, who knows.
Old 03-27-22, 04:54 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Do you like the over the updates? What is your opinion on that?
I think they are great and some of the updates really add some great functionality. It's unfortunate that I lost some functionality (memory seat) with one of the updates. Overall I'm still going to do them when they are available.

I trust Tesla with software updates more than my BMW because they have been at it longer. So far on my X7 I haven't done an update yet, I just keep skipping them because I just don't trust them just yet.
Old 03-27-22, 05:02 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Nah, the smooth effortless torque of an EV makes it hard to go back to an ICE car for a daily driver for me and the wait is too long for another Plaid right now. In a couple years I may get another Plaid with the newer lights, who knows.
Yeah. The effortless acceleration is addicting. I've just about run away from any car at a light. The only one that smoked me was a Model S Performance. That was ugly

Hopefully, it gets better once you have these issues resolved.
Old 03-27-22, 05:11 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yeah. The effortless acceleration is addicting. I've just about run away from any car at a light. The only one that smoked me was a Model S Performance. That was ugly

Hopefully, it gets better once you have these issues resolved.
One thing I wish Tesla did was give the Plaid red brake calipers to make it a little different than the Model S Long Range. With the 3, Y and X all of the performance models have red brake calipers and that is how I can tell they are the performance version and they just make the car look better and sportier. I'm surprised Tesla didn't do that with the Plaid or didn't add it with the new headlights and tailights in the refresh of the refresh.
Old 03-27-22, 05:17 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

One thing I wish Tesla did was give the Plaid red brake calipers to make it a little different than the Model S Long Range. With the 3, Y and X all of the performance models have red brake calipers and that is how I can tell they are the performance version and they just make the car look better and sportier. I'm surprised Tesla didn't do that with the Plaid or didn't add it with the new headlights and tailights in the refresh of the refresh.
Yeah. That was baffling given the Plaids performance cred. I say get it painted in Plaid colors so no one messes with you.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid