EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 05:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Yep I can't go back to ICE as my daily. In fact my brother in law is pushing me to sell my IS, which is basically not getting much action these days (did take it out today). And I calculated how much I spent in electricity for the 2000 miles I've done so far, I feel like I'm stealing
Old 03-27-22, 05:56 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Yep I can't go back to ICE as my daily. In fact my brother in law is pushing me to sell my IS, which is basically not getting much action these days (did take it out today). And I calculated how much I spent in electricity for the 2000 miles I've done so far, I feel like I'm stealing
Just sell it. I just drove my old IS350 and it feels archaic and slow and unresponsive.
Old 03-27-22, 05:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The v11 software for the new Model S is actually very new due to it also using a completely new MCU, having to incorporate smart shift, and a landscape vs. portrait UI.
new MCU likely means new driver software and extending APIs to expose new features. obviously they already have landscape on 3/Y and so probably not as big a deal as one might imagine. definitely new features like you mentioned, but software libraries, responsive (dynamic screen) layout code allows for building versions for each hardware set. no small feat, takes a great team.

I'm surprised you mention its laggy as the Model 3/Y have really responsive interfaces.
patgilm mentioned the radio as laggy which is xm i think, and at some point 3/Y didn't have xm, is that still the case? if so, that might explain why it's only an issue on the S.

patgilm, you know there's streaming apps to do about anything and more than craptastic xm offers.
Old 03-27-22, 06:16 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

patgilm mentioned the radio as laggy which is xm i think, and at some point 3/Y didn't have xm, is that still the case? if so, that might explain why it's only an issue on the S.

patgilm, you know there's streaming apps to do about anything and more than craptastic xm offers.
You know I cringe every time I type XM here because I know the comments are coming but I’m just so used to having it.

As for being laggy it’s really laggy on regular FM radio (uh oh more archaic than XM) where I sometimes have to touch the station I want a couple times before it actually changes or when I start the car it takes a while for the stations to show up and get sound. XM itself sometimes just doesn’t show up as an option and the icon doesn’t appear at all.
Old 03-27-22, 06:41 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
You know I cringe every time I type XM here because I know the comments are coming but I’m just so used to having it.

As for being laggy it’s really laggy on regular FM radio (uh oh more archaic than XM) where I sometimes have to touch the station I want a couple times before it actually changes or when I start the car it takes a while for the stations to show up and get sound. XM itself sometimes just doesn’t show up as an option and the icon doesn’t appear at all.
​​​​​​ I'm sure you've done this, but have you tried to reboot the infotainment system?
Old 03-27-22, 07:03 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
​​​​​​ I'm sure you've done this, but have you tried to reboot the infotainment system?
More than once and just did it again yesterday after the software update.
Old 03-27-22, 07:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

XM over streaming is much better than XM over satellite. Sound quality is night and day.
Old 03-28-22, 05:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

well I am in Europe, but my FM works just fine, problem is that quality is not good (and most stations dont have DAB), so I use tunein for local radio - that works really well, much better sound quality in my M3.
Old 04-09-22, 06:23 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

So an interesting thing happened to me today. Took a short road tip to my brother in laws a little over an hour away and usually we take our SUV but today we decided to take the Tesla and it was a really good drive. I’m sure it would be a little stiff for some people but it is perfect for me.

I did, however, find a really weird/annoying quirk that I wasn’t aware of. I was using Autopiot even though I think it is really lacking compared to other cars. It requires you to keep your hands on the yoke but only with a certain amount of pressure. Too much it will disengage and too little you will get a warning. So I had one hand on the yoke and I get an alert to put my hands on the wheel but trying not to put too much weight on it I guess it didn’t register so it disengaged. Fine, I figured I would re-engage but the car wouldn’t let me. It locked me out of Autopilot for the remainder of the trip and basically kept showing a message that because I misused it, it wasn’t going to let me use it the rest of the way. Talk about big brother…
Old 04-09-22, 06:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So an interesting thing happened to me today. Took a short road tip to my brother in laws a little over an hour away and usually we take our SUV but today we decided to take the Tesla and it was a really good drive. I’m sure it would be a little stiff for some people but it is perfect for me.

I did, however, find a really weird/annoying quirk that I wasn’t aware of. I was using Autopiot even though I think it is really lacking compared to other cars. It requires you to keep your hands on the yoke but only with a certain amount of pressure. Too much it will disengage and too little you will get a warning. So I had one hand on the yoke and I get an alert to put my hands on the wheel but trying not to put too much weight on it I guess it didn’t register so it disengaged. Fine, I figured I would re-engage but the car wouldn’t let me. It locked me out of Autopilot for the remainder of the trip and basically kept showing a message that because I misused it, it wasn’t going to let me use it the rest of the way. Talk about big brother…
It sounds like my wife's Ioniq has a better smart cruise control than Autopilot. We've used that feature so many times and it works every time. You don't have to constantly have your hands on the steering wheel, you just have to grab it when it tells you. Autopilot has probably been abused so much that Tesla was forced to become Big brother
Old 04-09-22, 06:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I've also done the autopilot jail. Haha. You have to stop the car get out and come back in to reset. Annoying.
Old 04-09-22, 06:44 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
I've also done the autopilot jail. Haha. You have to stop the car get out and come back in to reset. Annoying.
LOL at least it’s not just me and I wasn’t really abusing it I was using it as intended. I’ve never heard of this quirk.

On another note I let my brother in law drive it and we must have done 10 pulls. He just couldn’t stop because he was having so much fun. Didn’t have time to wait for cheetah mode but we tried drag mode a few times and it does make a difference on launch.
Old 04-09-22, 06:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

So a useless feature since it doesn't work predictably and on demand?
Old 04-09-22, 06:46 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

LOL at least it’s not just me and I wasn’t really abusing it I was using it as intended. I’ve never heard of this quirk.

On another note I let my brother in law drive it and we must have done 10 pulls. He just couldn’t stop because he was having so much fun. Didn’t have time to wait for cheetah mode but we tried drag mode a few times and it does make a difference on launch.
You don't need Cheetah mode to run low-mid 9s in that thing. I don't see how you go back to any other car. They would just all feel slow afterwards.
Old 04-09-22, 06:52 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Striker223
So a useless feature since it doesn't work predictably and on demand?
Yes it is kind of useless to me but I don’t travel much in this car so not a big deal but also not good compared to my X7, not even close.

Originally Posted by EZZ
You don't need Cheetah mode to run low-mid 9s in that thing. I don't see how you go back to any other car. They would just all feel slow afterwards.
I can’t, it’s not just the speed but also the powertrain and regen braking. Plus I really like the looks although I could see me getting a black one next time.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid