EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-22, 06:38 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The cheapest Veyron is like $1.9M and accelerates slower than the Plaid which costs 1/13th as much. So there's that...
The fact you even try and compare them says it all
Old 04-11-22, 07:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They are of course expensive compared to all cars in general, but for what it brings to the table they aren’t expensive compared to other cars of similar performance and cache. That’s my point. You have Hypercar performance in a Plaid.
sure the plaid is incredibly fast and the speed/$ is very high. it's been discussed ad nauseam on here. there's more to cars than just being fast though. we've also discussed ad nauseam all the quality issues, the yoke, the lack of physical controls, etc. but if rocket straight line speed is the primary focus of a buyer for minimum $, sure, get a plaid. tons of cars (even camaros, corvettes and a cayenne) are faster on the ring though... the 911 GT2 RS is nearly a minute faster.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...n/street-legal

i would rate the lucid air a much better overall package than the plaid, even if it's a bit slower.

Old 04-11-22, 07:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sure the plaid is incredibly fast and the speed/$ is very high. it's been discussed ad nauseam on here. there's more to cars than just being fast though. we've also discussed ad nauseam all the quality issues, the yoke, the lack of physical controls, etc. but if rocket straight line speed is the primary focus of a buyer for minimum $, sure, get a plaid. tons of cars (even camaros, corvettes and a cayenne) are faster on the ring though... the 911 GT2 RS is nearly a minute faster.

i would rate the lucid air a much better overall package than the plaid, even if it's a bit slower.
@patgilm said it best: "Even with all of the things I don’t think it does well, the feel of the powertrain is incredible and really does make regular ICE engines feel dated. I do love a good ICE engine on the weekends but it’s going to be hard for me to get another daily driver that is better even with its shortcomings"

Damn. I feel exactly the same way. It's not about the speed, at least for me, it's the way they drive. Every ICE I drive or drive in as a passenger feels dated, I'm talking new cars. Other than owning an ICE as a weekend or spare car, I can't go back

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-11-22 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-11-22, 07:55 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

It's a testament to the Plaid being compared to the cars you mentioned as it's a 4 door luxury car. What a compliment.
Old 04-11-22, 08:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I doubt that... Lucid Air is preproduction right now, and lots of issues with infotainment being slow, crashing, their autopilot mode does not work, etc.

It is one thing discussing imaginary things on forums, reality in real life is very different.

I was looking at getting Lucid Air when it appears in Austria later on this year, but after reading that is it really not completed yet, I would rather wait for them to mature. They are where Tesla was in 2014.
Old 04-11-22, 11:02 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

For a luxury car yes it is much better (on paper at least) but it's also a good bit more expensive if you get the dream edition (or whatever its called). One looks like a luxury sedan, the other looks like a sporty performance sedan. I like the sporty looks of the Plaid better so I would still get the Plaid. If I wanted more of a luxury looking car and was a previous MB S class owner I would probably pick the Lucid.
Old 04-11-22, 11:06 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
I doubt that... Lucid Air is preproduction right now, and lots of issues with infotainment being slow, crashing, their autopilot mode does not work, etc.

It is one thing discussing imaginary things on forums, reality in real life is very different.

I was looking at getting Lucid Air when it appears in Austria later on this year, but after reading that is it really not completed yet, I would rather wait for them to mature. They are where Tesla was in 2014.
There are a good bit of issues with the refreshed S that a lot of people complain about, some small and some big. It's a first year refresh so I expect Tesla to get things right as time goes on. If you look at some of the threads on the Tesla forum you will see the issues, some hardware, some software. If you look at the Tesla models that have been out a while you don't see too many issues.
Old 04-11-22, 11:12 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

Lucid Air isn't isn't in pre production. They've been delivering production customer cars for months now. They're definitely still working through a myriad of issues/feature availability though.
Old 04-11-22, 12:04 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 436 Posts

Not many of the faster cars can comfortably accommodate five people and a bunch of luggage, though. So you have to give the Plaid some credit for that. That link shows it delivered a Ring time that's comparable to some pretty exotic cars, current and past (plus the time was for the full 20.832 km track, not the slightly shorter bridge to gantry time which would have knocked a few seconds off the Plaid time).
Old 04-11-22, 01:49 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's a testament to the Plaid being compared to the cars you mentioned as it's a 4 door luxury car. What a compliment.
Luxury is a long stretch. It's a EV muscle car
Old 04-11-22, 01:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's premium sport. Certainly not a sports car. It's pretty nice vs mainstream cars.
Old 04-11-22, 01:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I agree. An EV muscle is an accurate description
Old 04-11-22, 02:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
It's not about the speed, at least for me, it's the way they drive. Every ICE I drive or drive in as a passenger feels dated, I'm talking new cars. Other than owning an ICE as a weekend or spare car, I can't go back
this thread is about the plaid specifically, not how EVs in general drive.

Originally Posted by swajames
Not many of the faster cars can comfortably accommodate five people and a bunch of luggage, though. So you have to give the Plaid some credit for that.

That link shows it delivered a Ring time that's comparable to some pretty exotic cars, current and past
Originally Posted by EZZ
1. those passengers won't be comfortable if the drive is doing 2 second 0-60 sprints.
2. SW17LS said it was good value compared to 'hypercars' which is what i was responding to.

while it's an amazing TECHNICAL feat, it's pretty pointless to be honest. i'd much rather have a car that's that fast be a more agile great looking coupe.

the model X plaid is even more insane for a very unique customer.

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's premium sport. Certainly not a sports car. It's pretty nice vs mainstream cars.
definitely not a luxury car... they couldn't even afford a whole steering wheel.
Old 04-11-22, 03:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

And a 911 GT2RS is considerably more money than the Plaid, and only has 2 seats.

The Plaid is a very good value for the performance it brings to the table.

I prefer the Lucid Air to the Plaid, but its also more expensive similarly equipped.

while it's an amazing TECHNICAL feat, it's pretty pointless to be honest. i'd much rather have a car that's that fast be a more agile great looking coupe.
To be clear this is your OPINION. (just parroting what you feed me).

I have very little interest in a coupe, few people do which is why hardly anybody makes them anymore.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-11-22 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-11-22, 04:45 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Speaking of being a four door sedan, this past weekend was the first time I actually sat in the back seat (although while it wasn't moving). The back seats are actually really comfortable to me and it had really good leg room. The clear roof was also pretty cool since in the driver's seat you really can't see it. With that said, my kids did say it was a little bumpy in the back seat but I wouldn't expect it not to be given the sporty suspension.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid