EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 03:38 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sodbuster1
Trust me, nobody with a F8 or 911 is embarrassed by a Tesla.
Some of them probably have a Tesla as a daily driver lol
Old 06-01-22, 03:42 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Trust me, nobody with a F8 or 911 is embarrassed by a Tesla.
No doubt as those are much better built and exclusive cars; however for a four door sedan that can beat any car out there in a straight line speed contest over and over without breaking anything is impressive any way you look at it. It’s both quicker and faster than anything out there right now and it’s not even close.
Old 06-01-22, 03:45 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,109 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
No doubt as those are much better built and exclusive cars; however for a four door sedan that can beat any car out there in a straight line speed contest over and over without breaking anything is impressive any way you look at it. It’s both quicker and faster than anything out there right now and it’s not even close.
When I saw the Plaid going against the Hayabusa I thought that was the one race it was going to lose. Nope. I can say that slightly surprised me
Old 06-01-22, 04:02 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

You must have put a beat down already on some nice cars already I know ICEs can beat it but it takes a crapload of mods and tuning to beat the Plaid which can do thousands of runs and still be reliable. Nothing mechanical to break really. I drive way more aggressively in my Tesla than any car i've ever had and its due to the powertrain never feeling any stress. Anyway, i'm still hoping for a Model 3 Plaid
Old 06-01-22, 04:02 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's inaccurate. Not faster. Quicker yes. What's it's top speed right now again? A Carrera S will do 200+ mph on the autobahn. Car and Driver has an article on what it's like to drive a Plaid at high speeds (162 mph to be exact) and whether or not 200 mph should be unlocked on it. Interesting article. Carrera S Nurburgring time is 7:25. Plaid is 7:30.9. Carrera S is cheaper.
Old 06-01-22, 04:05 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

No fast it is based on trap speed and 60-130 times. Just because the top speed is limited doesn’t mean it’s not fast. Quick would be a low 1/4 mile time with a low trap speed.
Old 06-01-22, 04:07 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

That's inaccurate. Not faster. Quicker yes. What's it's top speed right now again? A Carrera S will do 200+ mph on the autobahn. Car and Driver has an article on what it's like to drive a Plaid at high speeds (162 mph to be exact) and whether or not 200 mph should be unlocked on it. Interesting article. Carrera S Nurburgring time is 7:25. Plaid is 7:30.9. Carrera S is cheaper.
By the way by the time any of those cars with a higher top speed (which takes forever to get there) gets there, they would never catch me. As far as tracking, did pretty well against the CTSV and M5 CS with real crappy brakes didn’t it? Also doing well in the one lap of america. Put some decent brakes on this pig and it would do far better.
Old 06-01-22, 04:09 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

No fast it is based on trap speed and 60-130 times. Just because the top speed is limited doesn’t mean it’s not fast. Quick would be a low 1/4 mile time with a low trap speed.
Find me a definition of fast where it says trap speed and 60-130 times. Again what is the top speed of the Plaid currently?
Old 06-01-22, 04:13 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

By the way by the time any of those cars with a higher top speed (which takes forever to get there) gets there, they would never catch me. As far as tracking, did pretty well against the CTSV and M5 CS with real crappy brakes didn’t it? Also doing well in the one lap of america. Put some decent brakes on this pig and it would do far better.
Do you not understand the concept of track times? The 911 Carrera S along with many other ICE cars are faster around Nurburgring. How are you going to pass a car with a faster lap time?
Old 06-01-22, 04:16 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

It’s a smaller sports car compared to a big heavy sedan. Compared to the two cars I mentioned, it beat those comparable sedans around a track. I bet a 911 is faster around the ring than those cars too. So the 911 is a good track car but crappy drag car then, kind of a one trick pony then just like the Plaid right?
Old 06-01-22, 04:21 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Find me a definition of fast where it says trap speed and 60-130 times. Again what is the top speed of the Plaid currently?
I’ll just put this right here:

https://www.dragimportnews.com/tech/...quick-vs-fast/
Old 06-01-22, 04:21 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Do you not understand the concept of track times? The 911 Carrera S along with many other ICE cars are faster around Nurburgring. How are you going to pass a car with a faster lap time?
The 911 is a sports car so comparing it with a 4 door, fast luxury sedan is kinda Apples and Oranges. I don't think most people buying Plaids are looking to track the car. Saying the Plaid isn't fast is just stupid semantics. Sure the top speed is only about 175mph governed due to the tires but in most situations outside of the track and the unrestricted Autobahn, almost everything will just get smoked. Also, the 911 S base is $117k but a couple options in and you are looking at the price of a Plaid easily...lets not kid ourselves. Porsche is very very expensive.
Old 06-01-22, 04:23 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

It’s a smaller sports car compared to a big heavy sedan. Compared to the two cars I mentioned, it beat those comparable sedans around a track. I bet a 911 is faster around the ring than those cars too. So the 911 is a good track car but crappy drag car then, kind of a one trick pony then just like the Plaid right?
Whatever makes you feel better.
Old 06-01-22, 04:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I think that's the point people are missing...it's a heavy 4 door Sedan that can beat practically everything is a straight line, but turns into a comfortable daily driver, and does it efficiently getting a combined 102 MPGe. And it does it all at $130K

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-01-22 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-01-22, 04:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Whatever makes you feel better.
That was a great way of getting out of the argument....smart move, I would've done the same thing

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid