EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-22, 10:33 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,109 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Sodbuster1
Sorry, no Tesla is a sleeper now. Is there a slow model? Did I say it’s a waste of time? Putting words in peoples mouths again. Now you are just being rude.
Most people know Tesla's are fast, but what makes a Plaid a sleeper is there is no badging on it that identifies it as a Plaid. It just looks like a Model S. Even I can't tell if It's a Plaid until I see it in action. The week before I was in Southern Cal and someone in an Audi A8 was trying to race someone in what I thought was a Model S...until I saw him disappear. Than I knew that was not just a Model S, but a Plaid
Old 06-02-22, 10:37 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rogers2
I'm sure... there are a lot of wealthy people that buy a Camry or Accord.
Every person that owns a Plaid isn't wealthy. I can easily buy a Plaid and I'm not wealthy. Just well off. Yes, I concur that the Plaid is very special...
"Well off" usually means you are affluent. Buying and making payments on a $130K vehicle is no joke , especially if you own a home and have a family. Can all Plaid owner afford a Ferrari or Lambo? That all depends on how affluent they are how much their disposable income is
Old 06-02-22, 10:43 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Sorry, no Tesla is a sleeper now. Is there a slow model? Did I say it’s a waste of time? Putting words in peoples mouths again. Now you are just being rude.
BTW, you wanted to know the top speed for the Plaid. Here it is on Tesla's website:

Old 06-02-22, 10:43 AM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I like cars I can drive every day. Thats why the Plaid would appeal to me before a Lambo or Ferrari would. I don't have any desire to have a bunch of different cars that I have to worry about housing and taking care of etc. Hence why I don't like performance cars, I don't want to drive around a stiff, firm overwrought car when most of the time I'm just driving up and down the highway every day. If I wanted to own multiple cars and I didn't have to drive it every day then sure I'd buy a performance car.
Apparently you don’t know how a Cayenne rides with air suspension. Some describe it as being the closest SUV ride quality to the Bentley SUV. Watch Savagegeese review of it. How would a performance vehicle be any different to house and take care of?
Old 06-02-22, 10:45 AM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
BTW, you wanted to know the top speed for the Plaid. Here it is on Tesla's website:

That is the top speed right now? It’s unlocked? Did you read what Car and Driver said about going 200 mph in a Plaid?
Old 06-02-22, 10:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
I'm sure... there are a lot of wealthy people that buy a Camry or Accord.
Every person that owns a Plaid isn't wealthy. I can easily buy a Plaid and I'm not wealthy. Just well off. Yes, I concur that the Plaid is very special...
If you are buying a $140,000 car, you either have very few expenses and obligations, or you are pretty wealthy. Its a question of what "Well off" or "wealthy" means.

If you can buy a Plaid, you can buy an exotic car if you really wanted to. Lots of different financing options available on exotic cars (especially Ferraris) than bring the payments down to where you would be surprised. The big issue there is those cars can't really be your daily and a Plaid can be your only car.

Point is you don't have to be wealthy to buy an exotic car either, it just takes some finagling.
Old 06-02-22, 10:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

That is the top speed right now? It’s unlocked? Did you read what Car and Driver said about going 200 mph in a Plaid?
No but I would never drive it that fast, so the top speed is irrelevant to me. I'm would be most interested on how fast it got 0 to 80, which would be the top speed I would ever drive it. Where I live in California, most friendly races are either light to light, or freeway on ramp, with the occasional quick lane changes and merging. Even illegal street racing which is prevalent in places like San Jose where I live and Los Angeles, a race never lasts more than 20 seconds and is over. We just don't drive steady fast speeds here like they do in Europe
Old 06-02-22, 10:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Apparently you don’t know how a Cayenne rides with air suspension. Some describe it as being the closest SUV ride quality to the Bentley SUV. Watch Savagegeese review of it. How would a performance vehicle be any different to house and take care of?
I do, I have driven them. They ride great. In an SUV I would buy a Range Rover long before I bought a high performance Cayenne though for that money.

Theres nothing different about housing and caring for a performance car, the point is having ANOTHER car to house and care for, because I would want a comfortable soft luxury cruiser for every day AND a performance car if I had a performance car. Meaning, I would need 3 cars where now I have 2.
Old 06-02-22, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't driven a car over 100, 105 MPH in 20 years. So, that doesn't matter to me at all.
Old 06-02-22, 10:53 AM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Most people know Tesla's are fast, but what makes a Plaid a sleeper is there is no badging on it that identifies it as a Plaid. It just looks like a Model S. Even I can't tell if It's a Plaid until I see it in action. The week before I was in Southern Cal and someone in an Audi A8 was trying to race someone in what I thought was a Model S...until I saw him disappear. Than I knew that was not just a Model S, but a Plaid
An A8 does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds with a top speed of 130 mph. Not exactly blazing speed lol. It’s a luxury sedan.
Old 06-02-22, 10:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

An A8 does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds with a top speed of 130 mph. Not exactly blazing speed lol. It’s a luxury sedan.
And people assume the Plaid is similar, hence why the A8 was trying to race him. Thats why its hilarious.
Old 06-02-22, 10:56 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

That wasn't my point. What I was trying to say was I had no idea this was a Plaid, the the A8 driver apparently had no idea. I've been in a Model S and they are insanely fast, but this was beyond insane fast. It looked like the A8 was driving backwards trying to keep up with Plaid. I think if the A8 driver actually knew what he was up against, he would have not tried to engage. That was all I was saying
Old 06-02-22, 10:58 AM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

I do, I have driven them. They ride great. In an SUV I would buy a Range Rover long before I bought a high performance Cayenne though for that money.

Theres nothing different about housing and caring for a performance car, the point is having ANOTHER car to house and care for, because I would want a comfortable soft luxury cruiser for every day AND a performance car if I had a performance car. Meaning, I would need 3 cars where now I have 2.
But a Cayenne Coupe Turbo with air suspension does ride like a luxury cruiser…you should know that if you’ve driven them. And it still does 0-60 in 3.2, can go 185 mph, and still go off-road. It does it all.
Old 06-02-22, 11:01 AM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

And people assume the Plaid is similar, hence why the A8 was trying to race him. Thats why its hilarious.
Sorry, I’ve never assumed a A8 was like a plaid, because I know what both cars can do and what markets they are aiming for.
Old 06-02-22, 11:04 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Sorry, I’ve never assumed a A8 was like a plaid, because I know what both cars can do and what markets they are aiming for.
You are more informed that most. The A8 driver wasn't, thus his mistake, but he's not the only one I'm sure that's made this mistake

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid