EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-22, 01:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,109 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
That not a daily. It's a purpose built drag car with parachute. Lol. It costs more than the Plaid.
Oh I know. That's 100 percent not street legal here, and it probably breaks something all the time. There's no way you could daily it even if it was
Old 01-16-23, 07:52 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

This video is a few weeks old but his likes and dislikes with his Plaid that he daily drives is almost spot on with my views. I even agree with his thoughts on the yoke and especially the brakes although he does have the new $20k carbon ceramics which are totally unnecessary. All that is really needed are 6 piston front and 4 piston rears like my old Durango SRT or my GTR with bigger rotors and pads. With the kind of power and weight of the Plaid, to cheapen out on the brakes was a mistake.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...ature=emb_logo

Old 01-16-23, 09:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
This video is a few weeks old but his likes and dislikes with his Plaid that he daily drives is almost spot on with my views. I even agree with his thoughts on the yoke and especially the brakes although he does have the new $20k carbon ceramics which are totally unnecessary. All that is really needed are 6 piston front and 4 piston rears like my old Durango SRT or my GTR with bigger rotors and pads. With the kind of power and weight of the Plaid, to cheapen out on the brakes was a mistake.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...ature=emb_logo
The minor annoyances he listed like adjusting the fan speed etc I could live with. In my Polestar the fan speed is also controlled in the infotainment screen, but not by a slider so its easy to adjust anytime. The most annoying thing to me is the yoke, and removal of the signal stalks. The R signal having issues, probably could be fixed by a software update unless the physical button itself is bad. Anyway, I'm sure if I drove it I would forgive most of its shortcomings
Old 01-16-23, 09:47 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I read now the round steering wheel is standard and the yoke is an option. That'll bring back some buyers.
Old 01-17-23, 08:51 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
I read now the round steering wheel is standard and the yoke is an option. That'll bring back some buyers.
They are both no cost options now, you just get a choice. I would still choose the yoke. I would just like to have stalks for turn signals and drive modes. I think the drop in price will bring back buyers as well.
Old 01-18-23, 03:51 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Looks like Tesla actually listens to feedback

Customer Feedback Made Tesla Add Round Steering Wheel To Model S/X

Tesla design chief Franz von Holzhausen admitted in an interview that for some customers the yoke was in the way

Tesla is known for its approach to continuously develop and update its products instead of waiting for yearly cycles like most automakers.

The EV maker manages to improve its cars frequently thanks mostly to over-the-air (OTA) software updates. But the automaker doesn't shy away from making physical updates to its cars when something needs to be corrected.

The recent decision to offer a traditional steering wheel again on the refreshed Model S and Model X is a good example, and Tesla's chief designer Franz von Holzhausen shed more light on that decision-making process when talking to Ryan McCaffrey on the Ride the Lightning podcast.

Asked if customer feedback was behind Tesla's decision to give customers the option to choose between a round steering wheel or steering yoke, von Holzhausen – who is a big fan of the yoke and would like to see it on the Cybertruck as well – confirmed that was the case.
"I think it was just making sure that we had a car that people really loved. And if somebody loved the car but the yoke was in the way, we want to just remove that obstacle."
This sounds like the logical thing to do in a situation like this, and it's refreshing to hear from a top-level executive that Tesla values and acts upon customer feedback.

There are certainly many Model S and Model X fans out there who love the cars but hate the steering yoke, and it did not make much sense for Tesla not to give them the option of a traditional steering wheel, especially as the yoke was clearly a deal-breaker for some of them.

While the yoke is clearly polarizing, the capacitive buttons on it that include functions such as the blinkers and the horn are also opinion-splitting. However, Franz von Holzhausen did not say whether Tesla plans to offer steering wheel stalks again as alternatives for the capacitive buttons.

Mind you, he did say during the same podcast that the Model 3 and Model Y will likely not get stalkless systems like the Model S and Model X because Tesla has so far not seen a need or a demand to change the systems in the vehicle today.

This begs an obvious question: why has Tesla introduced stalkless steering systems on the Model S/X to begin with?

https://insideevs.com/news/631535/cu...-to-model-s-x/
Old 01-18-23, 04:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

That is good that Tesla is listening. Shows that they are maturing as a company and a brand.
Old 01-18-23, 05:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Thats one of my main impediments to a Model S...
Old 01-19-23, 06:48 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats one of my main impediments to a Model S...
I can't BELIEVVVVE that was legal to begin with, safety wise. We couldn't get the good headlights over here like in Europe because of very, very old and outdated laws laws until very recently, yet it's fine and legal to sell a car that can take you to 120MPH in the blink of an eye with half a steering wheel?

I like the Plaid but I'd be concerned I'd kill myself (and others) immediately. A car that fast (basically the fastest car there is) I'd be reaching for a steering wheel not there, no thanks. I wouldn't feel safe. It's instinct to grab for a wheel, even if you do get used to the yoke. That car is so fast, might as well as be as fast as human thought.... I'd like a proper grippy wheel, thanks.
Old 01-19-23, 07:10 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
I can't BELIEVVVVE that was legal to begin with, safety wise. We couldn't get the good headlights over here like in Europe because of very, very old and outdated laws laws until very recently, yet it's fine and legal to sell a car that can take you to 120MPH in the blink of an eye with half a steering wheel?

I like the Plaid but I'd be concerned I'd kill myself (and others) immediately. A car that fast (basically the fastest car there is) I'd be reaching for a steering wheel not there, no thanks. I wouldn't feel safe. It's instinct to grab for a wheel, even if you do get used to the yoke. That car is so fast, might as well as be as fast as human thought.... I'd like a proper grippy wheel, thanks.
They now offer the regular steering wheel... finally! I posted that update earlier in this thread
Old 01-19-23, 07:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Yeah I have to agree, amazed that it was allowed to be sold in the US.
Old 01-19-23, 08:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

My thoughts on Tesla have been evolving a bit. They are neat in many ways. Not for me as my main car, but I'd absolutely buy a Plaid if I were filthy rich, I mean 6-7 cars, estate mansion rich. I'd overlook the quality shortcomings and not really care and just have a blast with it, since I'd have other cars with the best build quality in the business in the garage as well.
Old 01-19-23, 08:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

My thoughts on Tesla have been evolving a bit. They are neat in many ways. Not for me as my main car, but I'd absolutely buy a Plaid if I were filthy rich, I mean 6-7 cars, estate mansion rich. I'd overlook the quality shortcomings and not really care and just have a blast with it, since I'd have other cars with the best build quality in the business in the garage as well.
Just speaking for myself, spending one year with my Polestar and almost every weekend with my brother in law's Model 3, I could totally live with a Plaid. My brother in law has the base RWD model 3, and I love that thing! You know how you drive your buttery V8 Merc and now you can't go back... that's how I feel when I drive his Model 3, and it's only the single motor. I don't want to test drive a Plaid because I probably would not want to go back to my Polestar. BTW my other brother in law has a 2020 Model S, that has the same interior as the Plaid, and it's very comfortable. Not luxurious, but very comfortable. They do a good job with the seats and the vegan leather is done well
Old 01-19-23, 09:16 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

As u know, I've had most of the Tesla family now: 3 SR, 3 P, MYLR, MYP, and now a Plaid.

I was really worried about owning a Plaid having kind of hated the minimalist interior of the 3s and Ys, but the S does it just right. Plenty of Alcantara, some CF, and a smidegon of aluminum here and there, with perforated(!) seats gives it enough luxury for me.

As for speed.....nothing compares to the plaid, but I find the m3p very comfortable for long trips as well (just drove from SF to LA), and it was hauling 100+ mph no problems.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Just speaking for myself, spending one year with my Polestar and almost every weekend with my brother in law's Model 3, I could totally live with a Plaid. My brother in law has the base RWD model 3, and I love that thing! You know how you drive your buttery V8 Merc and now you can't go back... that's how I feel when I drive his Model 3, and it's only the single motor. I don't want to test drive a Plaid because I probably would not want to go back to my Polestar. BTW my other brother in law has a 2020 Model S, that has the same interior as the Plaid, and it's very comfortable. Not luxurious, but very comfortable. They do a good job with the seats and the vegan leather is done well
Old 01-19-23, 09:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
As u know, I've had most of the Tesla family now: 3 SR, 3 P, MYLR, MYP, and now a Plaid.

I was really worried about owning a Plaid having kind of hated the minimalist interior of the 3s and Ys, but the S does it just right. Plenty of Alcantara, some CF, and a smidegon of aluminum here and there, with perforated(!) seats gives it enough luxury for me.

As for speed.....nothing compares to the plaid, but I find the m3p very comfortable for long trips as well (just drove from SF to LA), and it was hauling 100+ mph no problems.
So you're that plaid that shot by me like a bullet on hwy 5 JK!

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid