EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-21, 07:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I think the interior is a huge upgrade, and even outside the wider track gives it a different look. Yoke steering is a deal killer for me.
Old 06-16-21, 07:54 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think the interior is a huge upgrade, and even outside the wider track gives it a different look. Yoke steering is a deal killer for me.
Very good, short and sweet summary - my impression exactly on the "looks". I'm still on the fence regarding the Yoke.
Old 06-16-21, 07:56 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I have doubts.
Look at my posts about them.....
Old 06-16-21, 08:05 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,841 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Look at my posts about them.....
IIRC you are bullish on Tesla technology but the cars themselves you don't seem to like styling wise.
Old 06-16-21, 08:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
More pictures

That yoke steering "wheel' reminds me of the Knight Industries 2000,
Old 06-16-21, 09:06 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
That yoke steering "wheel' reminds me of the Knight Industries 2000,
In a race, I'd put my money on KITT
Old 06-16-21, 10:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,403 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
I get it - the owners who have had the previous gen for say 4 or 5 years and want a new one, feel that they want a different looking car now.
as you know, the interior is entirely new. the car is more efficient, faster, more aerodynamic, and quieter.

some people just wanna beyotch.

while it might have been to get more exterior change, it's stll an attractive car to be sure. i do think though it looks less 'old' in the darker colors. i think it's showing its age in red, white for example.

the etron-gt is very cool looking, but also a very 'busy' design, that seems old school in many ways. the taycan is cool although i don't like the headlights at all.

although many don't like it, the 'egg' EQS and the coming lincolnesque lucid would be considered by most to be more modern designs.

but as musk knows, a key thing besides appeal is 'can you build them?' - he has maybe billions invested in tooling and robot programming... so for a low volume car like the S, i think it made sense what tesla's done.

the X on the other hand, i hope they do something to that... it's pretty funky looking. i could imagine them even dumping the back crazy doors.

i like the 3, but don't like the y.
Old 06-16-21, 10:33 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,841 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Random-ish thoughts

Tech in the Plaid will trickle down to other models which is awesome
Hope the X is never cancelled I think it's the coolest SUV out there including the falcon doors
Tesla's simplicity of design is not for everyone but the more I see the more I like. Luxury doesn't have to be bells, whistles, ***** and 500 mood enhancing lights
Tesla's design language is instantly recognizable this is the best form of marketing when you also have a good product (a Trabant is also instantly recognizable)
Tesla has the best battery cooling/HVAC system by far in general and especially in the Plaid, look at a Mach E the piping is a disaster
Carbon sleeved motor is amazing and something other auto makers may never copy

Head and tail lights could use a refresh
The tack on rear spoiler is tacky in a figurative sense
Would like to see more exterior colour options
No gigacastings in the Plaid, disappointed
No 4680 cells, not surprised they are a year out IMO no matter what Musk says

Old 06-16-21, 10:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as you know, the interior is entirely new. the car is more efficient, faster, more aerodynamic, and quieter.

some people just wanna beyotch. .
Exactly!

while it might have been to get more exterior change, it's stll an attractive car to be sure. i do think though it looks less 'old' in the darker colors. i think it's showing its age in red, white for example.

the etron-gt is very cool looking, but also a very 'busy' design, that seems old school in many ways. the taycan is cool although i don't like the headlights at all.
Yes I agree, the front end of the Audi is a tad busy and the headlights on the Taycan are meh,....

although many don't like it, the 'egg' EQS and the coming lincolnesque lucid would be considered by most to be more modern designs.
I personally don't like either one......
but as musk knows, a key thing besides appeal is 'can you build them?' - he has maybe billions invested in tooling and robot programming... so for a low volume car like the S, i think it made sense what tesla's done.
Agreed, 100%

the X on the other hand, i hope they do something to that... it's pretty funky looking. i could imagine them even dumping the back crazy doors.

i like the 3, but don't like the y.
I've never been a fan of the X or Y. Other than the front end, I think the 3 looks good in profile and rear.
Old 06-16-21, 11:00 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Is this the model that had the wider fenders? I thought I remembered them testing a Model S with bigger fenders about a year ago.
Old 06-16-21, 11:02 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The interior materials are definitely a step up. I don't see any cheap plastics- just leather, wood, and alcantara. And the screen integration is still lightyears ahead of whatever Mercedes is attempting in the new S-Class.

As for the yoke, it seems Toyota liked it too.

Old 06-16-21, 11:05 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by jwong77
Is this the model that had the wider fenders? I thought I remembered them testing a Model S with bigger fenders about a year ago.
That was a test mule - old body with different drivetrain.

The refresh design has a wider track and lower overall height to the body. See dimensions of old vs new below

Old 06-16-21, 11:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
This is the same model but they didn't incorporate the new wider fenders. I'm really interested to see what they can get at the Ring.
Old 06-16-21, 11:07 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Motorola
The interior materials are definitely a step up. I don't see any cheap plastics- just leather, wood, and alcantara. And the screen integration is still lightyears ahead of whatever Mercedes is attempting in the new S-Class.

As for the yoke, it seems Toyota liked it too.
There's actually no leather in any Tesla as of at least 2 years ago. It's some leather like looking vegan in line with Tesla's "sustainability" mission - developed and built in-house (seats and all)

Last edited by Hameed; 06-16-21 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-16-21, 11:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

some people just wanna beyotch. .
I think they have a legitimate beyotch though.

I look at it like the LS460. The changes made here are not dissimilar to the changes made to the LS460 in 2013, but everybody agrees that wasn't enough to stay competitive and that they needed an all new car. There is a lot of high end EV sedan competition coming, and I do agree that this refresh Model S looks very dated in comparison. Should have been an all new body.

The lack of a full redo is again Elon's ego. He has said that Teslas will not be traditionally restyled according to a schedule as the rest of the industry does, just tweaked over time. He thinks he designed the most perfect beautiful car and sees no reason to redesign it.

Thats what frustrates me about him, he designs stuff the way he wants it not necessarily the way his consumers want it or the way its best designed. Hence, yoke steering, no gear selector and the same old Model S forever.

Its like Mike Brady designing every building to look like his house lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-16-21 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid