EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-21, 02:26 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
They haven't, up until the introduction of the new interior. I assume this will go to all Model S's and not just the Plaid Model? I can't see how they could afford to split the production line given their thin margins.
The refresh (Interior and most of what's under the skin is a Model S refresh, not just the Plaid version)
Old 06-17-21, 02:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

merged various plaid threads.
Old 06-17-21, 02:54 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Overall, the new Model S has a much nicer interior, significantly improved battery module (improved cooling, faster charging, etc...) and much improved motor technology which completely removes the high speed power loss issue. It will be much more expensive to produce these cars hence the noticeably more expensive ASP. Motortrend's overall take on the car is extremely positive and they were blown away by the power and performance of the Plaid model. No one can dispute that they are back on top of the performance world and i'm hoping all these improvements trickle down to their Model 3/Y products in the future.
Old 06-17-21, 04:18 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

^
It looks the same which really is not going to help attract new clients or even retain existing owners who currently own a Model S.

Tesla needs to do better on design as Model 3 and Y look weird.

The interior changes on the S make it more difficult to operate.
The steering wheel shape and location of the horn button are a safety risk imo.
Old 06-17-21, 04:31 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I love my Model 3 and chose it over the Model S because of size and handling. With that said, I would easily give it up for this Plaid model which is phenomenal. May have to look for a used one in a few years
Yeah, I generally prefer cars with a smaller footprint, but I also like a lot of what they're doing with the S Plaid. As a person who loves modern/minimal design, this car is exciting (and a refreshing take, in the face of a lot of legacy design). I'd consider a definitely switch to a 3 Plaid, if things trickled down properly.

I'd have to try the steering wheel first, but sign me up for the rest (realistically, I'm waiting to see what comes of the Giga Press chassis' and newer batteries, though).
Old 06-17-21, 05:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Tesla needs to do better on design as Model 3 and Y look weird.
They have actually grown on me a lot. Dare I say I actually like the looks of the Model 3 now?
Old 06-17-21, 05:39 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Lets Drive
Yeah, I generally prefer cars with a smaller footprint, but I also like a lot of what they're doing with the S Plaid. As a person who loves modern/minimal design, this car is exciting (and a refreshing take, in the face of a lot of legacy design). I'd consider a definitely switch to a 3 Plaid, if things trickled down properly.

I'd have to try the steering wheel first, but sign me up for the rest (realistically, I'm waiting to see what comes of the Giga Press chassis' and newer batteries, though).
You are right...I generally want a Model 3 size vehicle so if they have a next generation Model 3 Plaid, I would swing for that one. I really want a Cybercar though with stainless steel body so that it would be my road warrior car. No upkeep needed...
Old 06-17-21, 07:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They have actually grown on me a lot. Dare I say I actually like the looks of the Model 3 now?
i'm ok with the 3 design (exterior, interior still does nothing for me). the Y, being a 'tall 3' just looks very awkward to me.
Old 06-17-21, 08:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
meanwhile in the real world, it's all rather irrelevant.

must be why i have carpool sticker
Old 06-18-21, 04:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm ok with the 3 design (exterior, interior still does nothing for me). the Y, being a 'tall 3' just looks very awkward to me.
The S is the only design that looks great IMO Haven’t seen the new S but I am sure I will soon, I think some of the bulk has been taken out of the pre refresh. The 3 and the Y don’t look like the MSRP they carry.
Old 06-18-21, 04:53 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The S is the only design that looks great IMO Haven’t seen the new S but I am sure I will soon, I think some of the bulk has been taken out of the pre refresh.
This will be very interesting to learn about. Can you elaborate what the "bulk" is?
Old 06-18-21, 05:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
This will be very interesting to learn about. Can you elaborate what the "bulk" is?
The new S doesn’t look as bulky in the back (from the pics) compared to the older models.
Old 06-18-21, 05:14 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The new S doesn’t look as bulky in the back (from the pics) compared to the older models.
That must be a perception view. In fact the latest version is lower, wider and longer now. I don't think it's less "bulky" than the previous gen, it just looks better overall.

Here are the dimensions of old vs. new

Old 06-18-21, 05:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
That must be a perception view. In fact the latest version is lower, wider and longer now. I don't think it's less "bulky" than the previous gen, it just looks better overall.

Here are the dimensions of old vs. new

Haven’t seen it in person yet.
Old 06-18-21, 07:33 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Good to hear since we have one, and honestly the front never looked great IMO. The Germans always have great design in the front, and in comparison I always thought the proportions of the 3 just didn't look right straight on. It looked a little awkward from some other angles because the roof can look a little bulbous until we got the windows tinted, which visually made the roofline appear lower. Now it looks great from all angles except front on.

The Y exaggerates the least appealing aspects of the 3, but with the big performance tires and a darker color I think it looks good.

​​​​​​I've not seen the refreshed S, but seeing all the previous vehicles in person on a regular basis I think the sedans look much better than the SUVs, and S is by far the best looking.

I saw a Taycan for the first time recently and it has that really nice Porsche look. I really like the lights even though some seemingly don't. At the same time I've always thought Porsches also look a little weird, so at what point is the weird 3/Y an iconic design that can't be changed too much.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid