EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-21, 09:05 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I think the Tesla branding and quirky gadgets like the dumb steering wheel will continue to keep it cool and relevant with general public even after other companies can pass it on price, performance, range etc. Although I don’t see anyone passing them in those categories anytime soon.

Tesla only has itself to fear in terms of failure. When you are planning enormous global growth- there are potential mistakes you can make which can set you back decades or worse bankrupt you.

Its one thing to sell a few hundred thousand cars in US - its quite another to sell and manufacture millions around the world. When that happens- it takes that much longer to turn the ship when you see something not working.
Old 06-20-21, 09:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,977 Likes on 2,506 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Its one thing to sell a few hundred thousand cars in US - its quite another to sell and manufacture millions around the world. When that happens- it takes that much longer to turn the ship when you see something not working.
Tesla largely avoids that because they have a simple product line and it's essentially the same in all markets. Tesla in China is almost the same as Tesla out of California, Tesla Germany same deal. Battery packs and chemistry differ but that's a module that can be swapped/upgraded easily. Motors, castings, wiring, modules/infotainment is all the same. And no emissions hardware and software to worry about depending on market this is a massive advantage.

Old 06-20-21, 09:50 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla largely avoids that because they have a simple product line and it's essentially the same in all markets. Tesla in China is almost the same as Tesla out of California, Tesla Germany same deal. Battery packs and chemistry differ but that's a module that can be swapped/upgraded easily. Motors, castings, wiring, modules/infotainment is all the same. And no emissions hardware and software to worry about depending on market this is a massive advantage.
Who cares. You're not going to convince them that Tesla will survivor. It's not like their expected 700k sales this year is going to matter. Whenever someone says that Tesla won't survive, it sounds like a hollow point now. Mazda barely has 700k units per year and it's still here haters gonna hate so just let it go and enjoy the ride that Tesla will take its enthusiasts.
Old 06-20-21, 11:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,977 Likes on 2,506 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Who cares. You're not going to convince them that Tesla will survivor. It's not like their expected 700k sales this year is going to matter. Whenever someone says that Tesla won't survive, it sounds like a hollow point now. Mazda barely has 700k units per year and it's still here haters gonna hate so just let it go and enjoy the ride that Tesla will take its enthusiasts.
I'd like to believe most people are open minded and when presented with new information can change their views. I certainly have done so with Toyota and Lexus at one point I considered them the gold standard and largely untouchable, at least for cars I respect and appreciate. Now I see Toyota hopeless lost in the past clinging to their "electrified" plans and wasting huge resources on hydrogen cars.

BTW 700k units in 2021 will be a low number it's going to flirt with 1 million IMO unless something catastrophic happens.
Old 06-21-21, 01:50 AM
dingyibvs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
"On the contrary, I think this could be the beginning of the end."

He ​​​​​​definitely made that very clear. You're also of the same opinion and have stated as much in multiple posts.......
Actually I did not make it clear and I should certainly clarify. I meant the end of Tesla's position as the dominant player in the EV segment. I think they'll remain a very popular brand like Toyota, VW, Honda (and their associated luxury marques) etc. for a very, very long time, probably longer than my lifetime and I'm a millennial.
Old 06-21-21, 04:15 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 262 Likes on 190 Posts

I could see Tesla choosing to leave the car market and being a battery supplier. Maybe keeping a super expensive halo car, but leaving the low end market to the traditional manufacturers.
Old 06-21-21, 04:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Mazda sold 1.1m last year (>700k is Japanes production), but it is a moot point anyway, shouldnt be arguing about Tesla financials and future in forums. Looks good.
Old 06-21-21, 07:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Who cares. You're not going to convince them that Tesla will survivor.
Not sure who "them" is - some people on here either don't like aspects of tesla cars or don't care for elon musk's style, but that's different than "them" saying they don't think tesla will survive. I certainly expect tesla to survive.

back to the plaid - it's certainly a very impressive car, with a number of innovations, even if sub 2s 0-60 is irrelevant to basically everyone except bragging rights and a "specially prepared" drag strip.

in general the new s appears to be improved in a number of ways, although i don't think the yoke will be appealing to a lot of people. If the yoke was done to make the gauges easier to see, it would have been so much easier for tesla to do a HUD!
Old 06-21-21, 07:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Not sure who "them" is - some people on here either don't like aspects of tesla cars or don't care for elon musk's style, but that's different than "them" saying they don't think tesla will survive. I certainly expect tesla to survive.

back to the plaid - it's certainly a very impressive car, with a number of innovations, even if sub 2s 0-60 is irrelevant to basically everyone except bragging rights and a "specially prepared" drag strip.

in general the new s appears to be improved in a number of ways, although i don't think the yoke will be appealing to a lot of people. If the yoke was done to make the gauges easier to see, it would have been so much easier for tesla to do a HUD!
Consumers on the top end of price are fleeing Tesla for other brands. Tesla S plaid and the new interior were made to stop the hemorrhaging. Tesla is not going to go away but I think the hype will slow down as more brands enter the EV space. That said, if one removes oneself from the “passion” of the moment, seeing Tesla for the brand that it is can be so rewarding
Old 06-21-21, 07:56 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

its not directed at you or anyone in particular but when i hear that argument, i think its pretty stupid. Also, 0-60 in unprepped is 2.07s which still annihilates pretty much any other hypercar so to an enthusiast, its at least more interesting than interior materials

The new S has significant updates to the suspension as Motortrend says its only slightly worse than a Taycan but that's without the new track mode or track pack that's coming for the S. Did you notice Motortrend now says that repeated runs do nothing to slow the car down as the new battery pack was significantly updated to improve cooling and charging. Its now a better track car than the Model 3 and i'm eager to see how it does on the Ring. Prototypes have been hitting around 7:20 which is pretty impressive but i'm sure Tesla will wait until the track pack hits before going there. I hear people are getting used to the Yoke. I think they should have added a round option though but Tesla does what it does. Take it or leave it.
Old 06-21-21, 07:58 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Count me in as someone that likes the yoke although I have never driven anything other than an arcade game with a yoke. Maybe I would hate it if I actually had to drive a car with it but I think its cool.
Old 06-21-21, 08:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think the yoke is interesting. Toyota has it too for their new EV and I think it will be aligned with steer by wire so the whole steering experience will be different. I read Tesla is thinking of developing steer by wire as well which I am a little surprised they do not already offer b
Old 06-21-21, 08:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Count me in as someone that likes the yoke although I have never driven anything other than an arcade game with a yoke. Maybe I would hate it if I actually had to drive a car with it but I think its cool.
watching videos indicates to me the steering with the yoke requires WAY too many turns at low speed - it needs VGRS or similar.
Old 06-21-21, 11:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

lol. rumors of toyota's death are greatly exaggerated.
Toyotas not going to die, but they will not be a driving force in the industry if they continue to operate the way they are.
Old 06-21-21, 11:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Toyotas not going to die, but they will not be a driving force in the industry if they continue to operate the way they are.
You really need rethink this. ^^

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid