EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-21, 12:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
A few more

Nice pics. Sometimes the press pics are not as good as cell phone pics regular people.
Old 06-22-21, 12:37 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
A few more

Functionally, the yoke may be not great but visually, it looks great. Piloting that thing must be an experience... I can't imagine having 1000hp on tap in a reliable daily with minimal fueling costs. Phenomenal
Old 06-22-21, 12:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,841 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I assume that is a detail shop anyone know which? On the yolk people seem to be acclimating to it quickly.
Old 06-22-21, 12:51 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I assume that is a detail shop anyone know which?
No, that's the Tesla SC in Thornton, Colorado (I'm assuming you're referring to the Blue Plaid with the charging cable plugged in).
Old 06-22-21, 12:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Ah got it, Tesla service center. Thanks.
Old 06-22-21, 01:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dingyibvs
While I agree with most of what you said, I don't think using OEMs precludes OTA updates. I mean, Apple doesn't manufacture a single component of the iPhone and it updates OTA just fine.
,l.
OTA are easily replicable by the existing companies. They might even do it better. A big difference will be cost, most of the existing manufactures do not need to have an over the air update for all features. Just enough for the marketing aspect, which makes the car more appealing. Tesla on the other hand, needs to offer it for the entire car and make changes, as that is what customers expect,
Old 06-22-21, 01:36 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
OTA are easily replicable by the existing companies. They might even do it better.
Nope, I highly doubt that. This is a whole new paradigm shift for the legacy ICE manufacturers. Do you know how long the EV's made by VW had to sit in parking lots because of software bugs that the company had to work through?

A big difference will be cost, most of the existing manufactures do not need to have an over the air update for all features. Just enough for the marketing aspect, which makes the car more appealing. Tesla on the other hand, needs to offer it for the entire car and make changes, as that is what customers expect,
Cost is massive to implement OTA - hardware and software engineering perspective. Did you know that even something as mundane as the glovebox opening can be controlled electronically in a Tesla? Which means that it can be updated over OTA (not a good example of a component requiring an OTA update, but you get my point - regarding changes in the hardware aspect of a car itself.

Regarding your last point about Tesla customers expecting OTA, that's why Tesla does it? No it's the other way around. Tesla does it because they want to improve their cars over time and fix bugs ofcourse or add features they have promised but failed to deliver before delivery as they know that a Tesla customer will be ok with it. Case in point, on the just refreshed Plaid that has Active Noise Cancellation as one of it's new features - it's not yet active in the car. The toggle to enable it is grayed out right now.
Old 06-22-21, 01:37 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

OTA are easily replicable by the existing companies. They might even do it better. A big difference will be cost, most of the existing manufactures do not need to have an over the air update for all features. Just enough for the marketing aspect, which makes the car more appealing. Tesla on the other hand, needs to offer it for the entire car and make changes, as that is what customers expect,
OTA updates are extremely difficult for the OEMs and I doubt they will ever catchup up to Tesla on that front. OEMs are horrible at software and most of them are significantly inferior to what Silicon valley offers in terms of software technology. Tesla controls the entire software stack and can change the behavior of any of their components from CPUs to microcontrollers. When there was a chip shortage, they were able to change their chips to new microcontrollers and could change the firmware on the fly. None of the other OEMs have close to this ability to change their product and so are significantly worse off in the chip shortage.

https://insideevs.com/news/505188/te...chip-shortage/

I can't think of another manufacturer that has the ability to change motor output from OTA simply by improving motor control algorithms or increasing range by improving battery management algorithms. The other OEMs are playing checkers compared to Tesla's chess on software.
Old 06-22-21, 01:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
OTA updates are extremely difficult for the OEMs and I doubt they will ever catchup up to Tesla on that front. OEMs are horrible at software and most of them are significantly inferior to what Silicon valley offers in terms of software technology. Tesla controls the entire software stack and can change the behavior of any of their components from CPUs to microcontrollers. When there was a chip shortage, they were able to change their chips to new microcontrollers and could change the firmware on the fly. None of the other OEMs have close to this ability to change their product and so are significantly worse off in the chip shortage.

https://insideevs.com/news/505188/te...chip-shortage/

I can't think of another manufacturer that has the ability to change motor output from OTA simply by improving motor control algorithms or increasing range by improving battery management algorithms. The other OEMs are playing checkers compared to Tesla's chess on software.
The existing manufacturers will not need to modify the motors. I don’t take anything Inside EVs has to say seriously. And it won’t be difficult for anyone to copy.
Old 06-22-21, 01:43 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

The existing manufacturers will not need to modify the motors. I don’t take anything Inside EVs has to say seriously. And it won’t be difficult for anyone to copy.
Your opinion. None of the manufacturers have displayed any software proficiency up to this point and their updates are somewhat of a joke. It is what it is.
Old 06-22-21, 01:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Your opinion. None of the manufacturers have displayed any software proficiency up to this point and their updates are somewhat of a joke. It is what it is.
They do not need to do the whole car (maybe Mercedes and BMW need to). All the manufacturers have to do is have the software for the driver controls and infortainment as over the update system. (And some already have this Lexus included) Adding to much complexity drains profits for the existing manufacturers.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-22-21 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 01:58 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

They do not need to do the whole car (maybe Mercedes and BMW need to). All the manufacturers have to do is have the software for the driver controls and infortainment as over the update system. (And some already have this Lexus included) Adding to much complexity drains profits for the existing manufacturers.
Of course they don't NEED the whole car to be updateable, but it sure is a perk for Tesla owners. For example, Tesla's always came with many many cameras. Someone suggested to Elon one day that it would be nice to program in a security mode to record any illicit activity around the car and Sentry Mode was then offered on a software update. Same with the power bump, and the improved auto wiper function, and the improved stereo algorithms and the improved range and entertainment software like Youtube and etc.. etc...

Teslas improve as time goes by and the whole FLEET improves, not just the new ones on the lot. Much better than having my Lexus get worse as new models get released and the inability to do anything about it. Again, it is what it is.
Old 06-22-21, 02:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

No other EV comes even close to the scope of what Tesla can do with OTA. Tesla has improved or fixed everything from ABS, range, HVAC and now they can even improve the sound system via OTA. Go watch some vids of vehicle tear downs Tesla's architecture is vastly simplified and integrated compared to everyone else.
Old 06-22-21, 02:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Of course they don't NEED the whole car to be updateable, but it sure is a perk for Tesla owners. For example, Tesla's always came with many many cameras. Someone suggested to Elon one day that it would be nice to program in a security mode to record any illicit activity around the car and Sentry Mode was then offered on a software update. Same with the power bump, and the improved auto wiper function, and the improved stereo algorithms and the improved range and entertainment software like Youtube and etc.. etc...

More cameras more cost. More changes more cost. Nobody is going to buy a Toyota because Toyota can change they way their birds eye view camera works (I think Telsa is still without). Same thing with power…nobody is to buy a Hyundai because they all of a sudden increased the HP ratings. It only works for Tesla as the fans soak it up….meanwhile Tesla maket share is shrinking in the US while the EV competitors are increasing. Although the EV space is 2%

I think BMW will try the Tesla route and even offer stuff to unlock for sale…that is the end goal of Tesla building all that in as they want to charge users to enhance their Tesla at some point. But I think that business model will fall flat

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-22-21 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 02:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I thought you were disgusted with the Mercedes EQS?
"Disgusted" by the EQS? I never said anything of the sort. Not even close. I dont like the styling of it, or the shape, but the vehicle itself is a great example of what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid