EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-21, 02:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
"Disgusted" by the EQS? I never said anything of the sort. Not even close. I dont like the styling of it, or the shape, but the vehicle itself is a great example of what I'm talking about.
Ah gat yeah. Knew you didn’t love it…it’s just the styling you don’t like . You like the interior?
Old 06-22-21, 02:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ah gat yeah. Knew you didn’t love it…it’s just the styling you don’t like . You like the interior?
I dont love the interior, but I have to see it in person. I like the interior with the hyperscreen better than the W223 S Class interior with the tablets.
Old 06-22-21, 02:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I dont love the interior, but I have to see it in person. I like the interior with the hyperscreen better than the W223 S Class interior with the tablets.
I like the exterior and interior from the pics. But I agree I guess it is best to just see it in person. I think the new EQS will be the test if big giant luxo barges can sell well. Still awaiting MSRP as well.

as for the interior is the S class…the same design of the C class kinda kills it for me. It’s just scaled bigger. I watched a few reviews and it’s seems a little difficult to use as well.

Old 06-22-21, 02:26 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

More cameras more cost. More changes more cost. Nobody is going to buy a Toyota because Toyota can change they way their birds eye view camera works (I think Telsa is still without). Same thing with power…nobody is to buy a Hyundai because they all of a sudden increased the HP ratings. It only works for Tesla as the fans soak it up….meanwhile Tesla maket share is shrinking in the US while the EV competitors are increasing. Although the EV space is 2%

I think BMW will try the Tesla route and even offer stuff to unlock for sale…that is the end goal of Tesla building all that in as they want to charge users to enhance their Tesla at some point. But I think that business model will fall flat
Again, your typical mischaracterization of the situation. Tesla sold out of Model Ys already in Q3. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla...144537289.html. They are doing fine and are supply constrained. No matter how much you dislike Tesla or mischaracterize the, this doesn't change. EVs are a growing segment and Tesla will continue to grow with it. Share is moot in a rapidly growing pie. They sell everyone last one of the cars they make and can't keep up with demand. Sounds like a happy problem to me.
Old 06-22-21, 02:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I like the exterior and interior from the pics. But I agree I guess it is best to just see it in person. I think the new EQS will be the test if big giant luxo barges can sell well. Still awaiting MSRP as well.

as for the interior is the S class…the same design of the C class kinda kills it for me. It’s just scaled bigger. I watched a few reviews and it’s seems a little difficult to use as well.
I think the styling is too weird for it to be a good test. You're going to have a lot of traditional luxury sedan buyers like me who won't adopt it because of its looks.

Mercedes has always really made the interiors look similar, that doesn't bother me at all, the quality in the S Class is so much higher than a C Class, what it looks like in a picture just isn't going to move the needle for me. The overwhelming tech is one thing, that screen in front of the steering wheel just looks so crappy to me. In the videos where the reviewer is being filmed from the windshield you see the side of it and its just smooth crappy electronic plastic...at least it should have been OLED thin or something.
Old 06-22-21, 02:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Again, your typical mischaracterization of the situation. Tesla sold out of Model Ys already in Q3. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla...144537289.html. They are doing fine and are supply constrained. No matter how much you dislike Tesla or mischaracterize the, this doesn't change. EVs are a growing segment and Tesla will continue to grow with it. Share is moot in a rapidly growing pie. They sell everyone last one of the cars they make and can't keep up with demand. Sounds like a happy problem to me.
I don’t dislike Tesla. However, their market share in the US is decreasing as other brands start to enter the EV space. It is interesting to see how they respond. I know you don’t agree that there is more streamlined cost cutting going on…but they are finding ways to stay ahead for their customers which is a good thing . I saw someone else post in this thread a while ago that Tesla S update was because consumers are fleeing the brand for Porsche as well as Mach E. It’s fun to view Tesla’s pros as well as their cons and see how that applies to the new EVs entering the space.
Old 06-22-21, 02:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,069 Likes on 2,580 Posts

I don’t dislike Tesla. However, their market share in the US is decreasing as other brands start to enter the EV space.
Another disingenuous argument from you why do you keep doing this? Explain how Tesla's sales are set to double this year but their market share will go down. Yes that will happen and is normal and expected.
Old 06-22-21, 02:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Explain how Tesla's sales are set to double this year but their market share will go down. Yes that will happen and is normal and expected.
US sales will NOT double in 2021. I have consistently said that US market share has declined so far in 2021 even though their sales are up in the first quarter. Tesla S sales got crushed in 2021…so Tesla increased their top spec MSRPs which was the right thing to do

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-22-21 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 02:48 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I don’t dislike Tesla. However, their market share in the US is decreasing as other brands start to enter the EV space. It is interesting to see how they respond. I know you don’t agree that there is more streamlined cost cutting going on…but they are finding ways to stay ahead for their customers which is a good thing . I saw someone else post in this thread a while ago that Tesla S update was because consumers are fleeing the brand for Porsche as well as Mach E. It’s fun to view Tesla’s pros as well as their cons and see how that applies to the new EVs entering the space.
The Model S was essentially 9 years old and needed a refresh. Why would anyone buy a 9 year old design with better alternatives in the Taycan or Etron GT. This new Model S will somewhat reinvigorate sales again as its new. Also, the Model 3/Y have already cannabalized a portion of sales as they are cheaper. You can be sure the Plaid model will steal sales away from those considering Taycans as its significantly higher performance than any Porsche at this point. Mach E and Model S don't compete at all. Mach E competes with Model Y and the Model Y outsells it by a ton.
Old 06-22-21, 02:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,069 Likes on 2,580 Posts

US sales will NOT double in 2021. I have consistently said that US market share has declined so far in 2021 even though their sales are up in the first quarter. Tesla S sales got crushed in 2021…so Tesla increased their top spec MSRPs which was the right thing to do
Tesla share will go down but the EV slice of the automotive pie will go UP. You are 100% aware of this but still choose to try and frame it like Tesla sales are dropping. S stopped production completely, zero were produced but of course you specifically fail to mention this.
Old 06-22-21, 03:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Come on, you have to be intellectually honest. Tesla Model S sales were way down, but they also have completely stopped production for months. This has already been discussed in this thread as a part of my point about Tesla making the wrong choice when they didn't fully redesign the Model S, a point that you disagreed with, by the way.
Old 06-22-21, 03:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Come on, you have to be intellectually honest. Tesla Model S sales were way down, but they also have completely stopped production for months. This has already been discussed in this thread as a part of my point about Tesla making the wrong choice when they didn't fully redesign the Model S, a point that you disagreed with, by the way.
I disagree that redesigning the S from the ground up because it likely would not increase sales. Why waste all the development costs when you can use it for something else. I think the plant was down for 6 months which seems like a longtime. It was a smart business move for Tesla to update the S and not fully redesign it.
Old 06-22-21, 03:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I disagree that redesigning the S from the ground up because it likely would not increase sales. Why waste all the development costs when you can use it for something else. I think the plant was down for 6 months which seems like a longtime. It was a smart business move for Tesla to update the S and not fully redesign it.
So you acknowledge that the plant has been down for all of 2021 yet you want to use the Model S's lower sales in 2021 against it? Thats the intellectual dishonesty I'm referencing.
Old 06-22-21, 03:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So you acknowledge that the plant has been down for all of 2021 yet you want to use the Model S's lower sales in 2021 against it? Thats the intellectual dishonesty I'm referencing.
Why wouldn’t Tesla build out enough S models so sales do not fall? Most manufacturers would not close their plant for 6 months for a refresh/update. That is the issue. 6 months down is BAD. Perhaps Tesla knew that demand had softened late last year
Old 06-22-21, 03:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Besides investing in EVs, manufacturers must also invest in charging infrastructure, and I don't know if Toyota being a Japanese company can easily invest in US charging infrastructure.
I believe vw is either owner or big investor in electrify america so it can be done.

Originally Posted by Hameed
Sorry I can't help myself lol - had to post this shot of 5 new Plaids at a Florida Service Center.
5 plaids already in for service?

Originally Posted by Hameed
Cost is massive to implement OTA - hardware and software engineering perspective.
My LC has already had a couple of OTA updates from Lexus. Granted, it's a dumber car than rocks compared to a tesla, but still.

Regarding your last point about Tesla customers expecting OTA, that's why Tesla does it? No it's the other way around. Tesla does it because they want to improve their cars over time and fix bugs ofcourse or add features they have promised but failed to deliver before delivery as they know that a Tesla customer will be ok with it.
No, tesla has lots of other reasons. They're collecting VAST amounts of data about every aspect of driving and using a tesla. Seems tesla owners don't care about the privacy issues, but hey, it's fast 0-60 right? Resistance is futile.

Originally Posted by EZZ
OTA updates are extremely difficult for the OEMs
wrong.

I can't think of another manufacturer that has the ability to change motor output from OTA simply by improving motor control algorithms or increasing range by improving battery management algorithms. The other OEMs are playing checkers compared to Tesla's chess on software.
Agreed.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid