EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-21, 06:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
You're original argument is that Oems could do it better than Tesla. It's in post above. When we tear your argument apart, you now say only Tesla needs to do it? Obviously you can't defend it so you change subjects.

That Mach E hasn't had a substantial update yet. Just simple OtAs nothing like Tesla. That Mach E software is laggy compared to Tesla too. Terrible example of OEM software superiority. Lol.
Never said Tesla needs to do it. I said Tesla will be the only one that likely does it for the entire car

Originally Posted by EZZ
You're original argument is that Oems could do it better than Tesla. It's in post above. When we tear your argument apart, you now say only Tesla needs to do it? Obviously you can't defend it so you change subjects.

l.
They can do it better in the sense that it cost them less to do it. Will be more reliable as well. Adding too much complexity is not always a good thing. Better marketed as well (maybe). I don’t support a future of over the air updates to anything for any brand IMO. Tesla on the other hand will be more featured rich and far more interesting and entertaining

I am willing to bet you Toyota and Honda will not have reliability problems with their systems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors..._update_tesla/

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...talled.168118/

Stuck at "Software Update In Progress" on the Tesla apps - now fixed

Edit; no idea how to delete the spoiler thing on my iPad ,
Spoiler

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-22-21 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 07:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Navigation firmware update vs. a whole new security system to monitor bad activity in a car...lol.
Tesla needed it to stop abuse of their "autopilot" (not) and fail self driving function. More about liability than some great new feature.

Originally Posted by EZZ
That Mach E hasn't had a substantial update yet. Just simple OtAs nothing like Tesla. That Mach E software is laggy compared to Tesla too. Terrible example of OEM software superiority. Lol.
I don't keep up on all tesla OTA updates, so when was the last one that did anything significant? I saw one a year or two ago that added 10mi. of range to the Y supposedly. That's great.

Tesla, having such lofty goals and being a 'disruptor', NEEDED to provide updates to address no doubt a long list of bugs as well as add new features. A lot of what they added was likely already baked into ICE cars that have been around for a century.

Of course ice cars don't have juvenile video games and fart cushions though.
Old 06-22-21, 07:45 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Tesla needed it to stop abuse of their "autopilot" (not) and fail self driving function. More about liability than some great new feature.I don't keep up on all tesla OTA updates, so when was the last one that did anything significant? I saw one a year or two ago that added 10mi. of range to the Y supposedly. That's great.

Tesla, having such lofty goals and being a 'disruptor', NEEDED to provide updates to address no doubt a long list of bugs as well as add new features. A lot of what they added was likely already baked into ICE cars that have been around for a century.

Of course ice cars don't have juvenile video games and fart cushions though.
I haven't ever seen a power bump OtA on ICE yet and security and things like location aware locks or location aware folding mirrors and a myriad of other features. Juvenile video games also come with it but I guess these have been in ice for a century sure keep believing that.
Old 06-22-21, 07:51 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,978 Likes on 2,506 Posts

Tesla added features that were in cars since 1921. Interesting.
Old 06-22-21, 07:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

The bottom line is Tesla is a huge driver of much of what we see in the automotive space right now. So much of what is being designed into all manner of vehicles is because of Tesla...they are innovating and driving the narrative in the industry unlike any carmaker I can remember in my time...the closest one I can think of is Lexus.
Old 06-22-21, 07:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The bottom line is Tesla is a huge driver of much of what we see in the automotive space right now. So much of what is being designed into all manner of vehicles is because of Tesla...they are innovating and driving the narrative in the industry unlike any carmaker I can remember in my time...the closest one I can think of is Lexus.
Uh, I hope they don't drop the ball like Lexus did after a decade or so.
Old 06-22-21, 08:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Uh, I hope they don't drop the ball like Lexus did after a decade or so.
I would certainly hope not too!

But if you think about it, you can see in every modern car Lexus' influence. You see it in design, switchgear, optitron gauges are a big one. You can see Tesla's influence in every new car design thats coming out.
Old 06-22-21, 08:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla added features that were in cars since 1921. Interesting.
no, tesla's still missing them... 360 camera, HUD, they finally offer cooled seats on the S but not on 3 or Y, no apple carplay or android auto, no sirius xm radio, and on and on. May not be important to you (not that you'd know you don't own one), but to many they are important.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesl...er-cars-2019-8

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-22-21 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 08:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

no, tesla's still missing them... 360 camera, HUD, they finally offer cooled seats on the S but not on 3 or Y, no apple carplay or android auto, no sirius xm radio, and on and on. May not be important to you (not that you'd know you don't own one), but to many they are important.
All of that is Elon's ego, thats a totally separate argument
Old 06-22-21, 08:32 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
All of that is Elon's ego, thats a totally separate argument
Exactly. Those features aren't exactly cutting edge. Its a cost vs. design vs. Elon ego decision. Tesla's simply aren't for everybody and I never claimed they were. But they are undoubtedly the most disruptive car manufacturer in the last 20 years easily. They proved that there was an alternative path other than petrol and is driving significant change through that discovery. Anybody says that OEMs can match their software prowess? Prove it because I haven't seen squat from the OEMs in that regards. In fact, the favorite feature in most cars are Carplay / Android Auto because the native systems are garbage (with Lexus being the worst steaming pile of them all). I can't believe we are even arguing software prowess and OTA ability. Its just as silly as me arguing that Tesla has quality that matches Lexus. lol
Old 06-22-21, 08:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesl...er-cars-2019-8
No rear wheel steering like the LS500, LC500 or the S class/EQS
Old 06-22-21, 08:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
But they are undoubtedly the most disruptive car manufacturer in the last 20 years easily.
No doubt about that at all. I can rattle off 10 cars from other manufacturers that wouldnt exist if Tesla didnt exist. When you consider that Tesla has only been manufacturing cars in any capacity for 9 years...thats amazing.
Old 06-22-21, 08:41 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I can't believe we are even arguing software prowess and OTA ability. Its just as silly as me arguing that Tesla has quality that matches Lexus. lol
It's called having blinders on. 😃
Old 06-22-21, 08:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
It's called having blinders on. 😃
Ha. OEM have already started offering over the air. The difference will be that the OEM while not as comprehensive, it will be cheaper to develop and far more reliable. Not everyone wants their car to be changed by the manufacture, or bricked etc etc or worst of all left out of the software updates as to when a manufacture calls the car obsolete. Tesla will continue offering loads of features at the expense of long term reliability.

https://electrek.co/2019/06/20/tesla...ate-longevity/

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-22-21 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 08:50 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No rear wheel steering like the LS500, LC500 or the S class/EQS
Wow...talk about missing the forest from the trees. You're now saying that feature completeness is considered innovation? If thats the case, just give that award to a Mercedes or Hyundai that include every feature under the roof. hahaha. Innovation is doing something new that hasn't been done before, not implementing features that are already present in other cars like rear wheel steering...who freaking cares.

A company that drives the industry to begin a wholesale change in their R&D allocations to an alternative energy source is innovative and disruptive. Everyone else are just followers.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid