EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-21, 08:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Wow...talk about missing the forest from the trees. You're now saying that feature completeness is considered innovation? If thats the case, just give that award to a Mercedes or Hyundai that include every feature under the roof. hahaha. Innovation is doing something new that hasn't been done before, not implementing features that are already present in other cars like rear wheel steering...who freaking cares.

A company that drives the industry to begin a wholesale change in their R&D allocations to an alternative energy source is innovative and disruptive. Everyone else are just followers.
I would love to see what Tesla could do with 4 wheel steering. GMC Hummer has some new crab walk….your move Cybertruck
Old 06-22-21, 08:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

And when MERCEDES starts following, you know you're the innovator. Think of the times that has happened in the last 30 years, I can only think of one other time and thats when Lexus launched. Look at the EQS and Mercedes new interior/infotainment layout, thats all Tesla.
Old 06-22-21, 09:00 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And when MERCEDES starts following, you know you're the innovator. Think of the times that has happened in the last 30 years, I can only think of one other time and thats when Lexus launched. Look at the EQS and Mercedes new interior/infotainment layout, thats all Tesla.
Agree completely. Everyone arguing against this looks like plain haters in denial. Its amusing to even argue the influence they had in the industry in the last 5 years. The other hilarious arguments i've heard are that straightline performance doesn't mater....what? Lambo, Ferrari, and Porsche have all been evolving their cars in the last 50 years to make them faster. Here comes Tesla and completely crushes them...just stomps them in straight-line now and suddenly...it doesn't matter. LOL. Please. Again, disruption taking place as the Plaid is the fastest accelerating production car ever made for only $130k. Sorry but not going to let anyone just dismiss this accomplishment.
Old 06-22-21, 09:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

. Look at the EQS and Mercedes new interior/infotainment layout, thats all Tesla.
the disappointment in the EQS is going to be the 5700lb weight. I don’t even know if that is just the base.
Old 06-22-21, 09:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Agree completely. Everyone arguing against this looks like plain haters in denial. Its amusing to even argue the influence they had in the industry in the last 5 years. The other hilarious arguments i've heard are that straightline performance doesn't mater....what? Lambo, Ferrari, and Porsche have all been evolving their cars in the last 50 years to make them faster. Here comes Tesla and completely crushes them...just stomps them in straight-line now and suddenly...it doesn't matter. LOL. Please. Again, disruption taking place as the Plaid is the fastest accelerating production car ever made for only $130k. Sorry but not going to let anyone just dismiss this accomplishment.
Its classic moving the goalposts. I don't even care for Teslas and even I can see the accomplishments and the impact. What I find amazing is how many time Elon has said "we will achieve this" and everybody says "Oh hes crazy that will never happen" and then he achieves it lol

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
the disappointment in the EQS is going to be the 5700lb weight. I don’t even know if that is just the base.
Why? Why does the weight matter if the range, performance and characteristics are there? It doesn't. EVs are way heavier than gas cars.
Old 06-22-21, 09:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

don't even care for Teslas and even I can see the accomplishments and the impact.
Some of the accomplishments are quite fascinating. As for the impact, I’m also interested in how legacy automakers react and what roadblocks are ahead for the EV space. But kudos to some of the interesting Tesla innovations
Old 06-23-21, 03:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Why? Why does the weight matter if the range, performance and characteristics are there? It doesn't. EVs are way heavier than gas cars.
it matters in the same way it matters for vehicles with an engine.
- performance
- fuel usage
- handling

EQS is 516kg heavier than Model S, which means to match its range, it has to have bigger battery, which is not only heavier but also slower to charge and more expensive.
Then you will have much slower 0-60 performance, but not only that, what you do not see in WLTP test is when you actually accelerate, it will spend a lot more electricity simply because that huge weight disadvantage.

So yeah, being 1100 lbs heavier than main competition matters a lot.
Old 06-23-21, 04:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
A company that drives the industry to begin a wholesale change in their R&D allocations to an alternative energy source is innovative and disruptive. Everyone else are just followers.
I agree tesla is disruptive and hugely innovative! I also agree ICE makers have been playing catch up. where we probably disagree is the size of the gap. Innovation will come rapidly from other players. And teslas, as we all know, have unique qualities that not everyone finds appealing. The EV market will grow. Tesla's share of that market will shrink but with a growing pie their sales can definitely increase. We'll see.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Agree completely. Everyone arguing against this looks like plain haters in denial. ...
Really? I don't get saying mercedes is copying tesla and i'm not a hater. Tesla is amazing. But the EQS is NOTHING like a Model S. Yes they both have screens. They're both EVs. They're both cars. but how exactly has mercedes 'copied' tesla with the EQS? Yes like tesla it's futuristic and electric but that doesn't mean they're copying, any more than the taycan is copying. Is the audi etron-gt copying too? Looks NOTHING like any tesla.

Its amusing to even argue the influence they had in the industry in the last 5 years.
not sure who argued that... tesla has obviously had a giant influence since they started.

The other hilarious arguments i've heard are that straightline performance doesn't mater....what? Lambo, Ferrari, and Porsche have all been evolving their cars in the last 50 years to make them faster. Here comes Tesla and completely crushes them...just stomps them in straight-line now and suddenly...it doesn't matter. LOL. Please. Again, disruption taking place as the Plaid is the fastest accelerating production car ever made for only $130k. Sorry but not going to let anyone just dismiss this accomplishment.
It is an AMAZING accomplishment. And yes, it's hard to see where brands like lambo go from here. Ferrari will likely continue to sell everything they can make for years. I don't believe ferrari's are ever bought for being the fastest, etc.

Some of the accomplishments are quite fascinating. As for the impact, I’m also interested in how legacy automakers react and what roadblocks are ahead for the EV space. But kudos to some of the interesting Tesla innovations
Agreed!
Old 06-23-21, 06:01 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Really? I don't get saying mercedes is copying tesla and i'm not a hater. Tesla is amazing. But the EQS is NOTHING like a Model S. Yes they both have screens. They're both EVs. They're both cars. but how exactly has mercedes 'copied' tesla with the EQS? Yes like tesla it's futuristic and electric but that doesn't mean they're copying, any more than the taycan is copying. Is the audi etron-gt copying too? Looks NOTHING like any tesla.
This is the comment that Steve made about the interior layout/screens that is copying Tesla - it actually started with the ICE S class and now the EQS. I made this comment as well on another thread a while back when the interior of the latest S-class was revealed.

Tesla needed it to stop abuse of their "autopilot" (not) and fail self driving function. More about liability than some great new feature.
No, EZZ is referring to the "Sentry mode" that was rolled out to Tesla's in 2019
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30537731/tesla-sentry-mode-foils-break-in/#:~:text=Tesla's%20Sentry%20mode%20launched%20in,feature%20could%20help%20nab%20criminals

Regarding your last point about Tesla customers expecting OTA, that's why Tesla does it? No it's the other way around. Tesla does it because they want to improve their cars over time and fix bugs ofcourse or add features they have promised but failed to deliver before delivery as they know that a Tesla customer will be ok with it.
When I said the above, you said No below. No as in what I mentioned above is not correct? And yes they are collecting vast amounts of data - that's not really news. As far as "privacy" issues go I don't see that as just a "Tesla" thing. Our privacy started eroding a long time ago when Google came into the picture.

No, tesla has lots of other reasons. They're collecting VAST amounts of data about every aspect of driving and using a tesla. Seems tesla owners don't care about the privacy issues, but hey, it's fast 0-60 right? Resistance is futile.
Old 06-23-21, 07:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

! I also agree ICE makers have been playing catch up. where we probably disagree is the size of the gap. Innovation will come rapidly from other players. And teslas, as we all know, have unique qualities that not everyone finds appealing. The EV market will grow. Tesla's share of that market will shrink but with a growing pie their sales can definitely increase. We'll see.
!
I agree with you Bit. IMO, the greatest innovation will be the company that can get the costs to built to be super low as well as having the longest lasting battery. I think Ford will be interesting to watch as their new F150EV is all baked into the regular F150 gas and hybrid so costs should come down. I dunno. Fun times!!!!
Old 06-23-21, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is a great example of "faint praise"

The fact that we are interested to see how "legacy automakers" (which itself is a term thats devised to just somehow denigrate Tesla) react is proof of the huge impact Tesla has made on the industry.

Originally Posted by spwolf
it matters in the same way it matters for vehicles with an engine.
- performance
- fuel usage
- handling

EQS is 516kg heavier than Model S, which means to match its range, it has to have bigger battery, which is not only heavier but also slower to charge and more expensive.
Then you will have much slower 0-60 performance, but not only that, what you do not see in WLTP test is when you actually accelerate, it will spend a lot more electricity simply because that huge weight disadvantage.
When we're talking about EVs, the normal rules go out the window. The EQS is a dedicated luxury sedan, I have not read one negative review about its driving performance. The "much slower 0-60 time" is 4 seconds 0-60, which almost all consumers are satisfied with, and the car has excellent range. So...how is the weight a problem?

I would take an EQS all day long over a Model S and I wouldnt even give the weight a second thought.

So yeah, being 1100 lbs heavier than main competition matters a lot.
Disagree.

If it werent for the Model S...there would be no EQS. THATS the point. Tesla is the entire reason the car exists. Like was said above though the copying from a design perspective speaks to their interior layout. Even the hyperscreen, if it weren't for Tesla...there would be no hyperscreen.

not sure who argued that... tesla has obviously had a giant influence since they started.
Lots of people here have diminished that, you included.
Old 06-23-21, 07:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This is a great example of "faint praise"

The fact that we are interested to see how "legacy automakers" (which itself is a term thats devised to just somehow denigrate Tesla) react is proof of the huge impact Tesla has made on the industry.

d.
I don’t think I have ever said Tesla did not have an impact.
Old 06-23-21, 08:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t think I have ever said Tesla did not have an impact.
You just understate the scope of that impact because you dislike Tesla.
Old 06-23-21, 08:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You just understate the scope of that impact because you dislike Tesla.
never understated. I don’t dislike Tesla either and I think I have said that I like Elon as well.

I am gonna take the high road here.
Old 06-23-21, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

never understated. I don’t dislike Tesla either and I think I have said that I like Elon as well.

I am gonna take the high road here.
There's no high road to take, everybody has biases and they're on full display here from multiple people. Thats not an insult, its human nature.

I personally am biased to like companies like Tesla because I value innovation and hustle and disruption over the status quo.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid