EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-21, 12:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There are many reasons to criticize Tesla and Elon, but when it comes to the bottom line, no matter the price you simply can't buy another electric car with the same range and the same charging network. And when you consider that Model 3/Y are genuinely affordable, and Model S plaid offers unmatched level of performance, everything else becomes kind of mundane.

I think over the next decade or so, other manufacturers are going to catch up with Tesla in the drivetrain department, while Tesla should catch up to others when it comes to build quality and interiors. Also, as Tesla becomes more popular and mainstream, it's owner base is going to become less cultist and more average people.
Old 06-23-21, 12:57 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
There are many reasons to criticize Tesla and Elon, but when it comes to the bottom line, no matter the price you simply can't buy another electric car with the same range and the same charging network. And when you consider that Model 3/Y are genuinely affordable, and Model S plaid offers unmatched level of performance, everything else becomes kind of mundane.

I think over the next decade or so, other manufacturers are going to catch up with Tesla in the drivetrain department, while Tesla should catch up to others when it comes to build quality and interiors. Also, as Tesla becomes more popular and mainstream, it's owner base is going to become less cultist and more average people.
Yup. Good post and I completely agree. I'm looking forward to the other OEMs producing great EVs.
Old 06-23-21, 01:02 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would take an EQS all day long over a Model S and I wouldnt even give the weight a second thought.
  1. Have you driven a Model S yet?
  2. What specific feature/or otherwise turns you off about a Model S?
Old 06-23-21, 01:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Maybe so but that doesn't mean mercedes copied tesla. When lexus came out with the ls400, did mercedes then copy lexus too? Absolutely not.
Later generations of Mercedes showed clear signs of being influenced by Lexus, as the new Mercedes interior design is clearly heavily influenced by Tesla.

Tesla lit the fire for the EV market, but to say it's the 'entire reason' the eqs exists is a bit much. Mercedes isn't blind to the dozens of chinese ev makers either, or what lucid is doing... i'd say the Air is a MUCH bigger threat to an s-class than a model s.
I don't think its a bit much at all. If Tesla didnt exist, there would be no Mercedes EQS. I am 100% confident in that statement.

Originally Posted by Hameed
  1. Have you driven a Model S yet?
  2. What specific feature/or otherwise turns you off about a Model S?
Yeah I have, I don't care for the interior aesthetic, it doesnt feel high quality or luxurious inside to me, and they're not as isolated from the road as I prefer.
Old 06-23-21, 01:38 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Yeah I have, I don't care for the interior aesthetic, it doesnt feel high quality or luxurious inside to me, and they're not as isolated from the road as I prefer.
Gotcha and I hear ya.

When the refreshed version is available at the showrooms, take it for a test drive. From what I've read on the Tesla forums from owners coming from the previous gen, it's a lot better now in the areas you pointed out. It may still not meet your expectations, but I think it's still worth checking out.
Old 06-23-21, 01:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh I will for sure
Old 06-23-21, 01:49 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Oh I will for sure
Cool! I can't wait to drive one. I can't justify buying new, so will wait another 2 years (once the warranty on mine runs out) and will get a low mileage used one.
Old 06-23-21, 02:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

great post.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yup. Good post and I completely agree. I'm looking forward to the other OEMs producing great EVs.

Later generations of Mercedes showed clear signs of being influenced by Lexus, as the new Mercedes interior design is clearly heavily influenced by Tesla.
all brands are influenced by all other brands, even tesla is influenced, probably by audi, bmw, mercedes i'd say. nothing new there.

If Tesla didnt exist, there would be no Mercedes EQS. I am 100% confident in that statement.
good for you. the only thing i'm 100% confident in is that i'm not 100% confident of anything.
Old 06-23-21, 08:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

even tesla is influenced, probably by audi, bmw, mercedes i'd say. nothing new there.
I dont see any brand influence in any Tesla design...what are examples of brand influence by Audi, BMW and Mercedes in a Tesla? Teslas have used MB switchgear but thats a part sharing arrangement not a design influence.
Old 06-24-21, 02:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Lol, couldn't help but notice the left and right rear lights aren't even close to being aligned.

New Tesla comes apart live on TikToker’s videos
Old 06-24-21, 03:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
bwaha... tesla s plaid... built not as well as a honda civic for only $100k more.

Old 06-24-21, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would take the "TikTok" video with a grain of salt. Theres a financial incentive for a video to go viral and that may very well be staged. Clearly though Tesla doesnt have great quality control.
Old 06-25-21, 09:49 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Seems the EVs no longer have a weakness up top with the newer motors.

https://insideevs.com/news/516406/te...RSS-make-tesla

Tesla Model S Plaid's 3.84-Second 60-120 MPH Acceleration Is Nuts

We've heard about the Plaid's 0-60 mph and quarter-mile times, but this spec is crazy impressive.

When people talk about a car's acceleration, they often refer to zero-to-60-mph times. This makes sense since it's basically just about all you can experience on public roads, at least without breaking the law. When it comes to actual racing, the quarter-mile run is the gold standard.

With that said, the Tesla Model S Plaid is reportedly the quickest car ever produced. It can rocket from zero to 60 mph in just 1.99 seconds, as long as all the right conditions are met, and rollout is included. Even under ordinary circumstances, and without rollout, the Plaid is insanely quick.

As far as the quarter-mile is concerned, Tesla says the high-performance Model S can pull off the sprint in a commanding 9.23 seconds.

We don't typically talk about 60-120 mph times. However, if you're entering the freeway and really pushing it, this is another metric you can experience on public roads, at least to some degree. However, you'll have to back off the go pedal once you hit the speed limit, unless, of course, you're willing to break the law.

As you can see from the video above, the Model S Plaid's acceleration from 60 to 130 mph appears to be mindblowing. CarForce247 tweeted that the car can do 60-120 mph in less than 4 seconds. For comparison, the $375,000 McLaren 765LT supercar pulls off a 60-120 mph run in 4.1 seconds.

To take things a step further, CarForce247 posted Dragy measurements for the Model S Plaid suggesting that the car achieved a ridiculous 3.84-second 60-120 mph time.

The Model S Plaid is a four-door five-seat large sedan that carries a starting price of just $129,990. Most other vehicles that can even come close to such times are purpose-built limited-production million-dollar supercars, though there are some exceptions. However, none have proven they can beat the Plaid's specs.
Old 06-25-21, 09:55 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ Holy sh.... This is unreal.
Old 06-25-21, 09:56 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I never thought this would be weak up top, it traps 152mph in the 1/4 mile. Anything that traps that high isn’t going to be weak up top.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid