EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-21, 11:06 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Seems the EVs no longer have a weakness up top with the newer motors.

https://insideevs.com/news/516406/te...RSS-make-tesla

Tesla Model S Plaid's 3.84-Second 60-120 MPH Acceleration Is Nuts

We've heard about the Plaid's 0-60 mph and quarter-mile times, but this spec is crazy impressive.

When people talk about a car's acceleration, they often refer to zero-to-60-mph times. This makes sense since it's basically just about all you can experience on public roads, at least without breaking the law. When it comes to actual racing, the quarter-mile run is the gold standard.

With that said, the Tesla Model S Plaid is reportedly the quickest car ever produced. It can rocket from zero to 60 mph in just 1.99 seconds, as long as all the right conditions are met, and rollout is included. Even under ordinary circumstances, and without rollout, the Plaid is insanely quick.

As far as the quarter-mile is concerned, Tesla says the high-performance Model S can pull off the sprint in a commanding 9.23 seconds.

We don't typically talk about 60-120 mph times. However, if you're entering the freeway and really pushing it, this is another metric you can experience on public roads, at least to some degree. However, you'll have to back off the go pedal once you hit the speed limit, unless, of course, you're willing to break the law.

https://youtu.be/N8B1pDWStRo

As you can see from the video above, the Model S Plaid's acceleration from 60 to 130 mph appears to be mindblowing. CarForce247 tweeted that the car can do 60-120 mph in less than 4 seconds. For comparison, the $375,000 McLaren 765LT supercar pulls off a 60-120 mph run in 4.1 seconds.

To take things a step further, CarForce247 posted Dragy measurements for the Model S Plaid suggesting that the car achieved a ridiculous 3.84-second 60-120 mph time.

The Model S Plaid is a four-door five-seat large sedan that carries a starting price of just $129,990. Most other vehicles that can even come close to such times are purpose-built limited-production million-dollar supercars, though there are some exceptions. However, none have proven they can beat the Plaid's specs.
Great post....****It can rocket from zero to 60 mph in just 1.99 seconds, as long as all the right conditions are met, and rollout is included.
While I'm amazed by the straight-line speed. I'm sure another automaker will accomplish that speed shortly.
Now build me a car that I can autocross or take to the track on the weekend.
Regardless congrats to Telsa...my tsla stock finally break 690 this week.

Old 06-25-21, 11:17 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
Great post....****It can rocket from zero to 60 mph in just 1.99 seconds, as long as all the right conditions are met, and rollout is included.
While I'm amazed by the straight-line speed. I'm sure another automaker will accomplish that speed shortly.
Now build me a car that I can autocross or take to the track on the weekend.
Regardless congrats to Telsa...my tsla stock finally break 690 this week.
Teslas have been doing extremely well at tracks and autocross. The new Plaid is dominating Pikes peak as the new powertrain doesn't overheat.

https://insideevs.com/news/516064/pp...lower-section/

In fact, they had to reclass the Model 3 Performance several times in autocross because it was crushing the competition.

https://www.autoxandtrack.com/future...-3-domination/

My Model 3 Performance costs a bit more than my IS350 F Sport but has much higher limits and would runaway from it in a track situation. Go look at Throttle House review of the Model 3 Performance when they track the car and it performs extremely well especially with Track Mode.

When they take the bad boy Plaid out to the Ring, i'm extremely interested in what times it will get as the pre-production test mules were running under 7:20.
Old 06-25-21, 11:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

maybe the police should use tesla s plaid. there won't be anything (for now) they can't catch.
Old 06-25-21, 11:38 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. Both cars have potential. But it's no way I will gut my car like that.
The Model 3 definately has potential. I need to read the entire article. I wonder how his battery held up during the day at the autocross.
Once tsla build a coupe I will jump in the game.
Old 06-25-21, 12:25 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the quick reply. Both cars have potential. But it's no way I will gut my car like that.
The Model 3 definately has potential. I need to read the entire article. I wonder how his battery held up during the day at the autocross.
Model 3 on track mode will keep the powertrain cooler so you could probably get a hard 15-20 minutes out of the car before it pares back power. Autocross isn't a problem because there are cool downs between runs. The Plaid model is much better than the Model 3 even on cooling so it seems like its not having any issues doing Pikes. Tesla will build the Roadster next year so i guess you can buy that. Its going to be much faster than the Plaid model too..
Old 06-25-21, 12:27 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

It's called the Roadster coming soon - Elon time = who knows when. Starting at $200K.

https://www.caranddriver.com/tesla/roadster
Old 06-25-21, 02:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow that is insane how quickly it went from 60 to 100
Old 06-25-21, 03:01 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
wow that is insane how quickly it went from 60 to 100
Its like video game speed. Hitting the booster button on Need for Speed...lol.
Old 06-26-21, 02:37 AM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

That stupid steering wheel is so awkward to drive with. Can it be swapped out?
Old 06-26-21, 10:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Watch the video for an in depth look at the Plaid vs the Ferrari SF90 and the Mclaren 765LT. With draggy video shots of each. The Plaid would walk away from both cars even high at speeds. They even show the Taycan Turbo S and the Plaid completely embarrasses it up top. It's proving now that it is definitely the fastest accelerating production car ever made.

Old 06-26-21, 10:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
That stupid steering wheel is so awkward to drive with. Can it be swapped out?
I think the steering wheel is neat. I think the future is gonna be steer by wire and the additional rear steering (for some cars) will make the experience a little different than it is today.
Old 06-26-21, 10:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the steering wheel is neat. I think the future is gonna be steer by wire and the additional rear steering (for some cars) will make the experience a little different than it is today.
I don’t want the controls of my vehicle to be “neat”, I want them to be functional. That’s not functional.
Old 06-26-21, 10:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don’t want the controls of my vehicle to be “neat”, I want them to be functional. That’s not functional.
It’s neat because we are all “supposed” enthusiasts…it’s interesting stuff. A Tesla like this is not supposed to be normal …it’s fun
Old 06-26-21, 11:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It’s neat because we are all “supposed” enthusiasts…it’s interesting stuff. A Tesla like this is not supposed to be normal …it’s fun
Were talking about the steering wheel. Safety and function Trump “neat” and “fun”. This is just stupid. It’s different for the sake of being different, not because it’s better this way.
Old 06-26-21, 11:32 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Were talking about the steering wheel. Safety and function Trump “neat” and “fun”. This is just stupid. It’s different for the sake of being different, not because it’s better this way.
You don't sense the sarcasm in her comment?

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid