EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-21, 11:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Were talking about the steering wheel. Safety and function Trump “neat” and “fun”. This is just stupid. It’s different for the sake of being different, not because it’s better this way.
A Tesla with this type of steering wheel is neat stuff for those that Love Tesla. That’s the whole idea of it. My guess is that as steering systems evolve, it will be far easier to steer with these yokes and there were less effort.

Originally Posted by Hameed
You don't sense the sarcasm in her comment?
no sarcasm at all.

Toyota will be doing yoke as well for their new EV. They claim no need to ever adjust grip. (North America probably won’t get it). No idea how well it will work but I am sure Toyota will nail it. I expect Tesla would do similar

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-26-21 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-26-21, 09:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

(Piling on posts deleted)

Were talking about the steering wheel. Safety and function Trump “neat” and “fun”. This is just stupid. It’s different for the sake of being different, not because it’s better this way.
You're entitled to your opinion of course, but it doesn't have to be better. It certainly functions as steering and some might say it's safer because you get better forward visibility including the gauges. I think it's neat and fun too. Better suited to a roadster than a huge sedan though, imo.

And from the video i saw, it requires way too much turning at low speeds and requires something like lexus amazing VGRS.
Old 06-26-21, 10:08 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
(Piling on posts deleted)You're entitled to your opinion of course, but it doesn't have to be better. It certainly functions as steering and some might say it's safer because you get better forward visibility including the gauges. I think it's neat and fun too. Better suited to a roadster than a huge sedan though, imo.

And from the video i saw, it requires way too much turning at low speeds and requires something like lexus amazing VGRS.
People with Plaids are making it work but seems like it's compromising. I'd much prefer a steering wheel even if the aesthetics aren't great. I think I need to go test drive to see if I can make it work
Old 06-27-21, 02:04 AM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the steering wheel is neat. I think the future is gonna be steer by wire and the additional rear steering (for some cars) will make the experience a little different than it is today.
how is it neat with a car like steering lock to lock ratio? On a F1 car sure.

try doing a 3 point turn with that yoke with one hand.

Last edited by 703; 06-27-21 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-27-21, 06:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
(Piling on posts deleted)

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but it doesn't have to be better. It certainly functions as steering and some might say it's safer because you get better forward visibility including the gauges. I think it's neat and fun too. Better suited to a roadster than a huge sedan though, imo.

Over the time I think the effort will change. Will definitely become variable or something like it. Toyota has this on their concept and claim there is no need to move your hand anymore as your hand can just stay fixed.

Originally Posted by 703
how is it neat with a car like steering lock to lock ratio? On a F1 car sure.

try doing a 3 point turn with that yoke with one hand.
The yoke wheel is neat in the sense that Tesla is trying something different. Will it suck? I dunno I don’t have a Tesla S, but the people in you tube seem to like the car. Tesla Raj says it’s not bad or it’s pretty cool. . You can also view the road ahead of you as well.

. 11:15

Edit; my spouse just said to me “where do you hang your hand?”

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-27-21 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-27-21, 08:25 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
Thanks for the quick reply. Both cars have potential. But it's no way I will gut my car like that.
The Model 3 definately has potential. I need to read the entire article. I wonder how his battery held up during the day at the autocross.
Once tsla build a coupe I will jump in the game.
The battery holds up fine (absolutely nothing to worry about, if you're talking about thermals). Depending on the course, it's maybe 2-3% per run, but power isn't a major factor, IME (given how much it has to offer). It takes a back seat to the driver, grip and its combination of instant response. The better equipped Model 3 drivers can pull off some impressive times and typically lead the field, for the day. It's an easy/forgiving car to drive (especially in the wet), though the way regen works takes getting used to outside of a street environment (and weight isn't ideal, even if it's low in the vehicle).

Also, very easy tech inspections, lol.
Old 06-27-21, 01:50 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

My issue with the wheel is safety. This car gets going 155 mph in 9 seconds......a car that stupendously fast people will be grabbing for a part of the wheel that's not there if they get into trouble. Or what if they accidentally let go and then reach for something not there? Keep in mind just how fast these scenarios would theoretically happen.

We in the USA can't get the good headlights like Europe but this makes it through?
Old 06-27-21, 02:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
My We in the USA can't get the good headlights like Europe but this makes it through?
Welcome to the world of stupid regulations.
Old 06-27-21, 02:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

We in the USA can't get the good headlights like Europe but this makes it through?
pretty crazy to thing the US can’t get headlights. Something interesting is coming with steering, Toyota’s new EV concept has the yoke and steer by wire for every country but North America where the same model debuted with a full steering wheel.
Old 06-27-21, 04:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

All you have to do is watch the reviews lol
Old 06-27-21, 07:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

All you have to do is watch the reviews lol
what are you referring to, yoke impressions?
Old 06-27-21, 08:35 PM
Lead Lap

My issue with the wheel is safety. This car gets going 155 mph in 9 seconds......a car that stupendously fast people will be grabbing for a part of the wheel that's not there if they get into trouble. Or what if they accidentally let go and then reach for something not there? Keep in mind just how fast these scenarios would theoretically happen.

exactly. If this was a golf cart no problem.

But people are going to be accelerating fast in these things and muscle memory will be used if they had to react to something fast, grabbing onto an non existing part of the steering wheel. Give it sometime and someone will get killed by a Plaid which could have been avoided by driver steering input.

have Musk forgotten that people who drive these cars are not F1 drivers? They are the everyday mums and dads and their teenage sons taking the car out for a thrill ride.
Old 06-27-21, 09:10 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

A 9.2 second family sedan... Have mercy.
This car just shows how far behind all the other manufacturers are.
There is simply nothing else like it at any price. Not even close.
The fastest production car ever. It just doesn't stop pulling.
The suspension is new and much improved, if you were wondering.

You’d be a fool to race one of these, full stop.
Old 06-27-21, 10:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,978 Likes on 2,506 Posts

This car is a beast.

Old 06-28-21, 12:02 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
A 9.2 second family sedan... Have mercy.
This car just shows how far behind all the other manufacturers are.
There is simply nothing else like it at any price. Not even close.
The fastest production car ever. It just doesn't stop pulling.
The suspension is new and much improved, if you were wondering.

You’d be a fool to race one of these, full stop.
the eTron GT RS is a better car overall. And probably will return faster track times with it’s better handling. Won’t take long for these comparisons to come out.

Last edited by 703; 06-28-21 at 12:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid