EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-21, 05:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
A 9.2 second family sedan... Have mercy.
This car just shows how far behind all the other manufacturers are.
There is simply nothing else like it at any price. Not even close.
The fastest production car ever. It just doesn't stop pulling.
The suspension is new and much improved, if you were wondering.

if straight line speed and acceleration is the most important thing to someone, great for them, it's certainly a great achievement. But for me the interior is still too plain for a $140k car (someone's going to say it's under $130K but not if you want something other than white and don't want the ugly wheels).

You’d be a fool to race one of these, full stop.
you're right there! in a straight line at least. It's still a heavy large 4 door sedan. I think a 911 turbo s would crush it on a twisty course.
Old 06-28-21, 06:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This car is a beast.
he sounds just like scotty kilmer.

i also noticed he didn't use the stupid yoke.
Old 06-28-21, 07:15 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

if straight line speed and acceleration is the most important thing to someone, great for them, it's certainly a great achievement. But for me the interior is still too plain for a $140k car (someone's going to say it's under $130K but not if you want something other than white and don't want the ugly wheels).

you're right there! in a straight line at least. It's still a heavy large 4 door sedan. I think a 911 turbo s would crush it on a twisty course.
The Ring time for the 911 Turbo S is about 7:18. The test mule Plaid was doing 7:19, not official for gives you a sense of what it may do when tested. Also, the Turbo S around Laguna Seca is around 1:32. The Plaid has officially done it in 1:30 so I don't think its crushing it in any case due to the obscene power making up any handling shortfalls.
Old 06-28-21, 07:19 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I don't think anyone doubts that a 911 that weighs much less than the Plaid will definitely handle and feel tons better, but I don't know about "crushing" it. The video posted above shows it in the twisties and it's not doing that badly.
Old 06-28-21, 07:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
I don't think anyone doubts that a 911 that weighs much less than the Plaid will definitely handle and feel tons better, but I don't know about "crushing" it. The video posted above shows it in the twisties and it's not doing that badly.
Telsa S weights like 4800lbs…I think Taycan is up there too….something lighter like a 911 definitely would crush both.
Old 06-28-21, 07:51 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Telsa S weights like 4800lbs…I think Taycan is up there too….something lighter like a 911 definitely would crush both.
Did you watch the video?
Old 06-28-21, 07:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Did you watch the video?
I certainly did. The stripped down S plaid did well.
Old 06-28-21, 08:01 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

But it doesn't.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-record-video/

Does that make the 911 an underachiever or the Tesla an overachiever.
Old 06-28-21, 08:04 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Did you watch the video?
None of the cars in that competition are stock...they are prepped race cars. The only difference with the Tesla is that it has a stock powertrain. The car is gutted with a completely new race suspension and did great for a huge boat of a car
Old 06-28-21, 08:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
But it doesn't.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-record-video/

Does that make the 911 an underachiever or the Tesla an overachiever.
The S only does well because of the monster speed from the high HP. Get to real twisting and the 911 will handle far better
Old 06-28-21, 08:11 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 516 Likes on 352 Posts

Yes, Teslas are pig heavy, but in a far different way than ICE cars due to the low center of gravity.
Regarding handling, the prepped Model 3 Performance cars constantly outperform BMW M cars and Porsches.
Again, the results have shown just how far behind the other manufacturers are.
Right now, nothing can touch a Plaid.

The rules have changed. And wait for the Roadster 2...
Old 06-28-21, 08:18 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by EZZ
None of the cars in that competition are stock...they are prepped race cars. The only difference with the Tesla is that it has a stock powertrain. The car is gutted with a completely new race suspension and did great for a huge boat of a car
How much weight would they have saved on the S? The body panels are aluminum and the majority of the weight is the drivetrain/battery which is still stock.
Old 06-28-21, 08:19 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

The S only does well because of the monster speed from the high HP. Get to real twisting and the 911 will handle far better
The original argument was that the 911 would crush it on a twisty course. On a course or track, the Plaid seems to get similar times because it makes up for its weight and handling deficiency with brute force. On any handling area, the Porsche would beat it for sure being 1000 lbs lighter with supreme handling dynamics, but, the lower center of gravity in the Taycan and Model S make the car handle very well and faaaaar better than any ICE equivalent car at the same weight.
Old 06-28-21, 08:20 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Nobody is arguing that a heavy 4 door sedan will outhandle a 911. Not sure where you're getting that from. All I'm saying is that for a heavy 4- door sedan it's not doing badly at all in the twisties.
Old 06-28-21, 08:22 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

How much weight would they have saved on the S? The body panels are aluminum and the majority of the weight is the drivetrain/battery which is still stock.
I bet over 500 lbs was saved. If you take out all the insulation and seats and gut the car, its a lot weight. Of course, the other cars are all race prepped too so much lighter than stock. The Plaid did AMAZING, no questions about it. Its a 5-7 seater large family sedan competing with fully prepped race cars.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid