EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-21, 08:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Basically looks like same car from 5+ yrs ago.

The interior looks incredibly cheap in these pics for the class. Its on Honda Accord level at best.

I honestly can’t believe the steering wheel is not a safety issue. Definitely the worst design element of the whole interior.

Tesla needs to be more innovative with the interior design- its just said to be modern/clean in disguise of plain/cheap. Zero creativity, emotion and /or design. The sad part is the mainstream automakers are actually copying this nonsense.
Accord interior actually looks far better, this is more in line with HS250 garbage Lexus was trying to sell back in the days.
Old 06-28-21, 08:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am not sure about you. But when I think of handling, braking has to be part of equation or discussion. So when a 5000lb Plaid despite being faster in a straight line compared to a 911, the S will likely lose out once the curves and twists present themselves.
i didn't say tesla has brilliant braking now did i? if you and others have to keep so unfairly compare the model s to some 2-door sports car so be it. and i never said s is a better handling car than 911 to begin with. all i can say is, even outside of this plaid, i have seen a lot of posts where people with stock model 3 or model s on the track and they are embarrassing other cars. wasn't there a video the past two weeks where the plaid haul *** around the track behind other supercars and then left them behind on straight?

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a mustang wouldn't be going anywhere near that fast up pike's peak. did he look in control to you on a lot of that drive?!

and he's already crashed a tesla on that run before...

Sudden disaster at Pikes Peak Hill Climb! (Bottomless Pit) - YouTube
i wouldn't call it a complete clean run but i don't think it's particularly ugly or he was constantly struggling. on a lot of high power cars i see drivers fighting when exiting turns.

he crashed a tesla before, does it automatically make the car very hard to drive? no disrespect but for argument sake, LFA had some ugly crashes before too, yet i think most would agree it's a wonder car when it comes to driving and handling.

my point is very simple. i am not saying tesla is the best car out there (far from being a fanboy), but i see a lot of misinformation in this thread. this car is heavy doesn't mean it is automatically bad. and i definitely don't agree any 911s will just crush this car on the track. a win is a win.
Old 06-28-21, 08:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

At that price point, they are both 130k + wealthy persons toys….I am sure people cross shop all kinds of stuff at that price point and find something they really like.

but if the Tesla S is a large family sedan, then fine…I think it’s a luxury car.
i think you should really stop making comments for people with the means to make purchases at this level. someone cross shopping between a plaid and a 911? you got to be kidding me. they are two cars with different purposes. someone shopping between 911 and roadster, sure. someone shopping between tycan and model s? sure. someone having a plaid as daily driver (with plenty of fun) and a 911 for the weekend? plenty. needing one car and debate between plaid and 911? give me a break.
Old 06-28-21, 08:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

deleted. …

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-28-21 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-28-21, 09:19 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

The sad part is the mainstream automakers are actually copying this nonsense.
Closer to 10 years ago... I am not a huge fan of the Model S interior.
I agree everyone is copying Tesla; trying to be like Tesla.

My next Tesla will likely be a Model 3 Performance when the new batteries come out.
The current Model 3 Performance kills just about everything else right now, and there are aftermarket upgrades (wheel and suspension) that make it even better.
Old 06-29-21, 06:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

bwaha... tesla s plaid... built not as well as a honda civic for only $100k more.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...ebunked-video/

TikTok creator Ricco Kimborough has come clean about a viral Tesla post where he supposedly took delivery of a Model S with an airbag unit that fell apart in his hands. The social media enthusiast posted his apology on TikTok, admitting that the vehicle in the video was not really his and that he simply sat in an unlocked car at a Tesla delivery center. “This video is for Elon Musk. I love your product, sir, I do. I love your product. I had no idea, and I’m sorry from the bottom of my heart. I had no idea that I was not supposed to get into that vehicle because it was not locked at all. I just want to say, I apologize… This video went viral and I got a call from the actual police department saying that they don’t want me on their property… So this message is to Elon Musk… I’m sorry and I’m actually purchasing a Tesla. Got one on order,” Kimborough said.
Guy who created fake viral TikTok video apologies to @elonmusk, admits he just sat in a car at the delivery center that was not his pic.twitter.com/lpVQNyPK4U

Kimborough’s viral video became a rallying cry of sorts among the anti-Tesla crowd, especially considering his “reactions” to his vehicles’ alleged defect. In the video, the TikTok creator stated that the vehicle was some “cheap baloney” and that such defects were unacceptable. Later videos even showed Kimborough allegedly coming to a Tesla location to complain about “his” Model S. That being said, the TikTok creator’s viral video did have some red flags from the get-go.Immediately noticeable from the viral video was that the Model S “Plaid” that Kimborough allegedly took delivery of still had some of the protective wraps Tesla uses when transporting its cars. The vehicle was also in Transport Mode, which suggests that it was not in any way ready to be handed over to a customer. Contrary to the TikTok creator’s Model S Plaid claims, the vehicle was also a Model S Long Range, which was not yet being delivered to customers then.

So what of the substantial media coverage of Kimborough’s viral video, such as this, this, this, this, and this now that the video has been debunked by its creator? Well, that’s just the thing with these false pieces. Some outlets such as motoring media outlet Jalopnik have posted corrections to their initial coverage. But others, not so much. This, unfortunately, will likely result in a great number of people still believing that the TikTok creator’s initial video was real, despite the fact that it’s not.

As previously explained to Teslarati by Emma Frances Bloomfield (PhD), currently an Assistant Professor of Communication Studies at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, correcting misinformation requires halting the repetition of false information. “To address misinformation, people can create more complete stories that replace the incorrect one, provide trustworthy authority figures to deliver the message, and not repeat the false information when making the correction. We say, “correct early and correct often” to try and get ahead of the temporal advantage misinformation has and to counter the repetition of the false information,” she stated.

Considering the usual narratives surrounding Tesla, countering this proven false claim would definitely be challenging.
Old 06-29-21, 06:56 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

The interior looks incredibly cheap in these pics for the class. Its on Honda Accord level at best.

I honestly can’t believe the steering wheel is not a safety issue. Definitely the worst design element of the whole interior.

Tesla needs to be more innovative with the interior design- its just said to be modern/clean in disguise of plain/cheap. Zero creativity, emotion and /or design. The sad part is the mainstream automakers are actually copying this nonsense.
Originally Posted by Och
Accord interior actually looks far better, this is more in line with HS250 garbage Lexus was trying to sell back in the days.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Closer to 10 years ago... I am not a huge fan of the Model S interior.
I agree everyone is copying Tesla; trying to be like Tesla.

My next Tesla will likely be a Model 3 Performance when the new batteries come out.
The current Model 3 Performance kills just about everything else right now, and there are aftermarket upgrades (wheel and suspension) that make it even better.
I find it very interesting that other car companies are all "copying this nonsense" that Tesla is creating with their lack of creativity, innovation, laziness, cheap, plain, ugly interiors, zero emotion etc. Wow.

​​​​​​​Do you wonder why that is the case?
Old 06-29-21, 07:40 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,978 Likes on 2,506 Posts

It was beyond obvious that TikTok video was a fraud. Well to most people.
bwaha... tesla s plaid... built not as well as a honda civic for only $100k more.
Old 06-29-21, 08:14 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Yep, was waiting for the inevitable mea culpa.

Great angle, too. Now that I'm getting in trouble I'd like everyone to know I had no idea getting into unlocked cars and posting a video implying Tesla gave me a defective product was frowned upon.
Old 06-29-21, 08:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
In fairness, it’s also 50k more expensive, and it’s considerably slower than the Plaid.
a taycan turbo s is under 3 seconds 0-60. A plaid isn't under 2s as claimed everywhere because that's typical tesla hype BS because they time it from the car ALREADY MOVING (at likely 6mph with 'rollout') on specially prepared drag strip and 10 minutes of magical incantations to get the car 'ready'. Plaid is more like 2.3 0-60. Still BLINDINGLY fast, no doubt the fastest 4 door sedan in production by far, and so fast that it's likely dangerous in all but the most experienced/capable drivers. A 911 turbo s is 2.6 0-60, so barely any different, but of course that's a 2 door coupe.

The recent tests shows the Plaid can deliver the 0-100-0 faster than a McLaren Senna.
It is seriously fast. Quite stupendously so.
Amazing!

Originally Posted by swajames
... reportedly the new Plaid interior is better than the old one when viewed from up close and personal. Interiors are absolutely an area where Tesla can learn from its competitors though.
the new s interior is better in several ways than the old.

Now that's a truly confusing cockpit. I prefer, "set the temperature to 70 degrees".
If you're confused by a porsche interior, i'd recommend not having a fast car.

But of course the taycan has a full voice command system also.

could be a long wait. I'd guess 3 years?

It is certainly an incredible performance bargain. Of course there's upgrades for everything else too though.

Originally Posted by Hameed
I find it very interesting that other car companies are all "copying this nonsense" that Tesla is creating with their lack of creativity, innovation, laziness, cheap, plain, ugly interiors, zero emotion etc. Wow.

Do you wonder why that is the case?
I don't think everyone else is copying tesla! What other car company has an interior like a tesla?

Originally Posted by LeX2K
He lied that the car was his, but what was the deal with the air bag? Maybe it was just disconnected for transport?
Old 06-29-21, 08:29 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed

Do you wonder why that is the case?
I dont see anyone copying this, unless you mean giant screens, but that has been a trend since before Tesla even existed.

And Teslas exterior design isnt great, their cars just look like generic blobs.
Old 06-29-21, 09:09 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I don't think everyone else is copying tesla! What other car company has an interior like a tesla?
Originally Posted by Och
I dont see anyone copying this, unless you mean giant screens, but that has been a trend since before Tesla even existed.
Not my words - see below

Old 06-29-21, 09:11 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

^ The HS predates Teslas. For whatever reason manufacturers design weird interiors and exterior for most hybrids and EVs.
Old 06-29-21, 09:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

There is simply no question a great many interiors today are heavily influenced by Tesla.
Old 06-29-21, 09:17 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

a taycan turbo s is under 3 seconds 0-60. A plaid isn't under 2s as claimed everywhere because that's typical tesla hype BS because they time it from the car ALREADY MOVING (at likely 6mph with 'rollout') on specially prepared drag strip and 10 minutes of magical incantations to get the car 'ready'. Plaid is more like 2.3 0-60. Still BLINDINGLY fast, no doubt the fastest 4 door sedan in production by far, and so fast that it's likely dangerous in all but the most experienced/capable drivers. A 911 turbo s is 2.6 0-60, so barely any different, but of course that's a 2 door coupe.

Amazing!

the new s interior is better in several ways than the old.

If you're confused by a porsche interior, i'd recommend not having a fast car.

But of course the taycan has a full voice command system also.

https://youtu.be/6n-a8veBjNw

could be a long wait. I'd guess 3 years?

It is certainly an incredible performance bargain. Of course there's upgrades for everything else too though.

He lied that the car was his, but what was the deal with the air bag? Maybe it was just disconnected for transport?
The Plaid is traction limited under 70mph. Owners have described feeling like the tires are slipping and pulling power below 70mph due to the insane hp. From any roll, the Plaid will fly from the 911 Turbo S and Taycan Turbo S easily and it should...its trapping 15-20mph faster in the quarter mile. Its also the fastest accelerating car between 60-130mph on draggy results besting the Senna which was the previous record holder. The Porsche's aren't really close to the Plaid in straightline performance at all.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid